HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » With coronavirus spreadin...

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 07:42 PM

With coronavirus spreading, neighbor worries her Amish neighbors 'wouldn't know'

DES MOINES – A conversation with one of her Amish neighbors left Mary Swander feeling uneasy.
It was March 13, five days after Iowa announced its first coronavirus patient, and the man Swander was speaking with seemed unaware of the pandemic that was just then creeping into Iowa. The longer they spoke, the more her worry grew – for her friend and the other 1,200 Amish residents in Johnson and Washington counties.

Swander decided to talk to a few more people at a store that caters to Amish customers. That confirmed her fears.
“They had a vague inkling about it, but they were kind of making a joke out of it. And that’s what got me really concerned, because without TV, radio, internet, they wouldn’t know how bad it is,” Swander said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/with-coronavirus-spreading-neighbor-worries-her-amish-neighbors-wouldnt-know/ar-BB11G1lX?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

4 replies, 594 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply With coronavirus spreading, neighbor worries her Amish neighbors 'wouldn't know' (Original post)
mfcorey1 Mar 25 OP
think4yourself Mar 25 #1
Eko Mar 25 #2
brush Mar 25 #3
captain queeg Mar 25 #4

Response to mfcorey1 (Original post)

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 08:01 PM

1. I grew up in Lancaster County, PA

My Amish neighbors read the local newspaper from front to back page and knew more of what was going on than most people.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to think4yourself (Reply #1)

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 08:10 PM

2. Ha!

Thats where I live now.

Reply to this post

Response to think4yourself (Reply #1)

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 08:14 PM

3. Newspapers are failing though.

Reply to this post

Response to mfcorey1 (Original post)

Wed Mar 25, 2020, 08:33 PM

4. A lot of Amish have jobs and would be exposed to radio or something

But they might not believe it. I worked in Middlefield, Ohio for a few years. I lot of them professed to not believe man had been to the moon, not sure if they really believed that or were yanking my chain. They aren’t stupid they just choose not to partake in modern society.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread