HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Terrifying Italian Doctor...

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 09:54 PM

Terrifying Italian Doctor Covid-19 Report

The following report is the worst case scenario I have envisioned from the beginning of the coronavirus outbreak.

Iím just the messenger here 😭😭😭

Here is my tweet from 3/1/2020

ďIíve decided to leave the ventilators for younger people. Wonít seek extreme care if sick. But I put myself in isolation on Thursday.Ē

The following is a disturbing reality unfolding in Italy from a Doctor trying to warn the world.

Please be forewarned! The following is an account of our worst fears UNLESS we each do our part to SLOW DOWN the Spread. Stay home if you can!

Many acronyms are used because Twitter. Here are their meanings:

Copy/pasted from twitter reported by Jason Van Shoor @jasonvanshoor - an anesthesiologist from the UK

From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy:

1/ ĎI feel the pressure to give you a quick personal update about what is happening in Italy, and also give some quick direct advice about what you should do.

2/ First, Lumbardy is the most developed region in Italy and it has a extraordinary good healthcare, I have worked in Italy, UK and Aus and donít make the mistake to think that what is happening is happening in a 3rd world country.

3/ The current situation is difficult to imagine and numbers do not explain things at all. Our hospitals are overwhelmed by Covid-19, they are running 200% capacity

4/ Weíve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of pts with severe resp failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask.

5/ Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, Iím saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed.

6/ My friends call me in tears because they see people dying in front of them and they con only offer some oxygen. Ortho and pathologists are being given a leaflet and sent to see patients on NIV. PLEASE STOP, READ THIS AGAIN AND THINK.

7/ We have seen the same pattern in different areas a week apart, and there is no reason that in a few weeks it wonít be the same everywhere, this is the pattern:

8/ Stage 1:
A few positive cases, first mild measures, people are told to avoid ED but still hang out in groups, everyone says not to panick

Stage 2:
Some moderate resp failures and a few severe ones that need tube, but regular access to ED is significantly reduced so everything looks great

9/ Stage 3:
Tons of patients with moderate resp failure, that overtime deteriorate to saturate ICUs first, then NIVs, then CPAP hoods, then even O2.

Stage 4:
Staff gets sick so it gets difficult to cover for shifts, mortality spikes also from all other causes that canít be treated properly.

10/ Everything about how to treat them is online but the only things that will make a difference are: do not be afraid of massively strict measures to keep people safe,

11/ if governments wonít do this at least keep your family safe, your loved ones with history of cancer or diabetes or any transplant will not be tubed if they need it even if they are young.

By safe I mean YOU do not attend them and YOU decide who does and YOU teach them how to.

12/ Another typical attitude is read and listen to people saying things like this and think ďthatís bad dudeĒ and then go out for dinner because you think youíll be safe.

13/ We have seen it, you wonít be if you donít take it seriously.

I really hope it wonít be as bad as here but prepare.

*****If a recent China report true, even self-distancing wonít work****

Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official Ďsafe distanceí and stay in air for 30 minutes, Chinese study finds

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074351/coronavirus-can-travel-twice-far-official-safe-distance-and-stay

Iím still home. At 72 this week, I donít mind and even grateful ☺️

18 replies, 3600 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply Terrifying Italian Doctor Covid-19 Report (Original post)
OhNo-Really Mar 2020 OP
captain queeg Mar 2020 #1
hedda_foil Mar 2020 #2
Dem2 Mar 2020 #3
OhNo-Really Mar 2020 #5
Dem2 Mar 2020 #8
OhNo-Really Mar 2020 #9
EllieBC Mar 2020 #11
JudyM Mar 2020 #15
EllieBC Mar 2020 #18
Jarqui Mar 2020 #4
OhNo-Really Mar 2020 #10
Haggis for Breakfast Mar 2020 #6
renate Mar 2020 #7
JudyM Mar 2020 #16
GulfCoast66 Mar 2020 #12
jmbar2 Mar 2020 #13
OhNo-Really Mar 2020 #14
lapislzi Mar 2020 #17

Response to OhNo-Really (Original post)

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 10:11 PM

1. Holy shit this is scary

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 10:14 PM

2. Holy scheiss!

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 10:22 PM

3. UGH!

I'm still grieving my father who passed 2 weeks ago (non virus related) and now I'm basically reading that my mom is as good as dead and there's likely nothing I can do because my family are morons?
This is the DU member formerly known as Dem2.

Reply to this post

Response to Dem2 (Reply #3)

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 10:30 PM

5. I'm sorry for your loss. ✨✨💕✨✨

Truth is we donít ever know if or when.

But this country is way behind and itís criminally negligent.

Let your family read this

Bleach & isolation are very helpful. And hand washing of course. I wash everything I have to bring into home in sink of water & capful of bleach. Everything! I add bleach to my dish washing. I wear gloves & scarf & hat. Leave jacket in my car. Very large sunglasses. Everyday is Halloween now.

A self-quarantine for about 30 days would help the medical facilities by slowing down the spread. imho.

Reply to this post

Response to OhNo-Really (Reply #5)

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 10:53 PM

8. We've already had one scare we're still waiting on

(infected student in school where my daughter teaches, she visited mom and had a message on answering machine about the situation when she got home :/ )) Problem is, she has another relative living there who is undergoing cancer treatments. This person refuses to not work because she's in retail and she needs the insurance for her cancer treatments. But she's also got emotional problems and won't go back and live in her own apartment (which also happens to be much closer to her work.) My mom is a softie and even though she asked her to go live in her own place, she won't pursue it. So, they're both going to die and there's nothing I can do about it. I won't even get into how other family work in retail and won't stop visiting her. I may have no choice but to kidnap her and have her live at my house.
This is the DU member formerly known as Dem2.

Reply to this post

Response to Dem2 (Reply #8)

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 11:45 PM

9. If you can both stay home that would be great

Times like this Iím thankful my whole family has already passed.

Now I worry about your stress load.

Take care. You have a very full plate

Your mom is lucky to have you

✨✨❤️✨✨🙏✨

Reply to this post

Response to Dem2 (Reply #3)

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 11:51 PM

11. I'm so sorry for your loss!

My dad passed away this past Friday and Iím flying home to NY to help my mom with funeral things and to be there for her.

Reply to this post

Response to EllieBC (Reply #11)

Tue Mar 10, 2020, 08:26 AM

15. So sorry, EllieBC.

My heart goes out to you. May his memory be a blessing.

I went through that a year and a half ago. Attending my mother has been great solace for both of us, good that you will be there for each other.

Reply to this post

Response to JudyM (Reply #15)

Tue Mar 10, 2020, 12:21 PM

18. I knew this would all be hard but

I donít think anything prepares you for the depth of loss you feel when you lose a parent.

Thank you, JudyM. May the memory of your father be a blessing as well. And may we all stay healthy and well.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 10:25 PM

4. Excellent link. Thank you. You might have saved lives passing that on nt

Reply to this post

Response to Jarqui (Reply #4)

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 11:46 PM

10. I hope so. We all need to spread the news

As even the media shys from the worst case scenario

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 10:30 PM

6. Dear god.

THIS is terrifying.

Because of the STUPIDITY and ARROGANCE in the WH, we don't even know the number of the infected. The US was notified months ago about the trending of this and did NOTHING. We are weeks behind, and cannot catch up. We are past containment.

This is the nightmare I have had since trumpie got into office, that something like this would happen. Knowing how incompetent and arrogant he is, I knew he would not be up to the challange of dealing with something like COVID-19. And all of his lies and bluster are proving every day just how incompetent he is. Twenty two people are dead, and he played fucking golf for the entire weekend. I am so tired of his BS.

We need to get him out of office. N O W. We can't afford to wait for November. HUNDREDS could be dead by then.

BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 10:31 PM

7. Our government would be monumentally stupid to refuse to learn from others' experience

Oh, crap....

Reply to this post

Response to renate (Reply #7)

Tue Mar 10, 2020, 08:35 AM

16. You got it, renate. This outbreak couldn't happen during a worse administration.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 9, 2020, 11:58 PM

12. Everyone really needs to read The Great Influenza. It is almost prophetic.

At the end he speculates what the outbreak would look like into todayís world where we expect modern medicine to save us.

This doctors account is almost a blow by blow of his prediction. We have the machines to save most people who get this kind of thing. But when you have 10 people needing every one machine the result is not much different than 1918. Which was horrifying. And once the doctors and nurses get sick the wheels fall off the machine.

Reply to this post

Tue Mar 10, 2020, 12:51 AM

13. Wonder if they can use morphine to ease people out who cannot be treated

Basically palliative care. Would be more humane than just suffocating fully aware.

Reply to this post

Response to jmbar2 (Reply #13)

Tue Mar 10, 2020, 02:33 AM

14. I agree.

Reply to this post

Response to jmbar2 (Reply #13)

Tue Mar 10, 2020, 08:37 AM

17. They can, but will they?

For one thing, it's an ethical gray area. Not a widely accepted practice, although arguably it could/should be. There is also the backwards pendulum swing against opiates, for any reason. I wouldn't want to be a doctor making that call under ideal conditions, much less a crisis.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread