HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » An Honest Question

Wed Feb 19, 2020, 03:37 PM

An Honest Question

It is obvious that we are marching toward the reality of Germany in the 1930's. Are there any DU scholars that can look at what happened in Germany...and what could have happened differently to change the course?

Honestly, I feel so helpless and I want a path that can build, not just complain and worry.

4 replies, 494 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply An Honest Question (Original post)
BittyJenkins Feb 2020 OP
Frasier Balzov Feb 2020 #1
moondust Feb 2020 #2
abqtommy Feb 2020 #3
Mister Ed Feb 2020 #4

Response to BittyJenkins (Original post)

Wed Feb 19, 2020, 03:57 PM

1. We'll be OK Bitty.

Think of our situation as a new and improved version of the 1960s.

We have the speaking out and the relentless objection to the wrong we see.

If we can keep a lid on any political violence, then what we have previously loved will be reclaimed, misshapen or beautified.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 19, 2020, 04:18 PM

2. Maybe the Reichstag Fire.

The Nazi Party used the fire as a pretext to claim that communists were plotting against the German government, and the event is considered pivotal in the establishment of Nazi Germany. The term "Reichstag fire" has come to refer to false flag actions facilitated by an authority to promote their own interests through popular approval of retribution or retraction of civil rights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag_fire

After that the Reichstag Fire Decree was issued by German President Paul von Hindenburg on the advice of Chancellor Adolf Hitler, plus the Reichstag passed the Enabling Act of 1933.

The combined effect of the two laws was to transform Hitler's government into a legal dictatorship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enabling_Act_of_1933

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 19, 2020, 04:19 PM

3. Perhaps the biggest motivation for Germany in the 30s was the way the victorious allies of

WWI put the screws to the German people. The resentment among Germans really helped the ascension of the Nationalists/Nazis.

Of course there is valid resentment and faux resentment and it seems to me that the present-day
nazis are showing faux resentment and a desire to inflame the hatred that is a feature of all
nationalistic groups.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 19, 2020, 04:33 PM

4. I believe our diversity will save us from the fate of 1930's Germany.

This is not some sort of warm-and-fuzzy "Isn't diversity nice?" sentiment on my part. It's my cold assessment of the situation.

1930's Germany was a largely homogeneous society, with just enough of a minority group to serve as the scapegoat, the hated Others.

U.S. society is much, much more diverse. Too many different cultures to get us marching in lockstep.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread