HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Can a Republican take on ...

Mon Feb 17, 2020, 10:33 PM

Can a Republican take on Trump and survive? Mitt Romney is proving it's possible.

BOUNTIFUL, Utah —Since Mitt Romney became the first senator in history to defy his party with a vote to convict in an impeachment trial, he's been called a "disgrace" by President Trump. He's been pilloried as a traitor each night on Fox News. And he's been formally censured by GOP organizations as far away as Louisiana.

Here in Bountiful, a devout and devotedly Republican city in Romney’s home state, voters might be expected to join in. And to an extent, they have.

“I was disappointed,” said Gary Wight, who runs a formalwear shop, Latter Day Suits, across the street from the white-steepled tabernacle that sits at the heart of town. “Senator Romney isn’t doing what we sent him there to do.”

But Wight, a Republican who backed Romney in the last election, was quick to note a caveat: That doesn’t mean he won’t vote for him again.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/can-a-republican-take-on-trump-and-survive-mitt-romney-is-proving-its-possible/ar-BB105SAq?li=BBnbcA1

Formalwear shop, do they sell the magic underwear?

5 replies, 563 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Can a Republican take on Trump and survive? Mitt Romney is proving it's possible. (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Feb 17 OP
dem4decades Feb 17 #1
napi21 Feb 17 #2
rampartc Feb 17 #3
Wellstone ruled Feb 17 #4
Skittles Feb 18 #5

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Mon Feb 17, 2020, 10:42 PM

1. There's only one Utah.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Feb 17, 2020, 10:43 PM

2. Mitt holds his honor, & faith higher than his Party. He also really doesn't neED this job. There's

one more things. Most of his constituents are Mormon, and they also believe it's more important to be honest than be a Republican. None of DT's attacks will work in this situation, and I'm sure if Mitt wants to keep his job, the voters of Utah will vote for him.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 17, 2020, 10:47 PM

3. utah is unique

i'm interested in sessions in alabama. as near as I can tell sessions was loyal, but trump gave him the full twitter trashing treatment.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 17, 2020, 10:58 PM

4. For those who wonder how this plays out,

well,Willard is a member of what in Utah is known as the Magic Sperm Club. Meaning his blood line is traced to the founders of the Mormon Religion. And a such,is considered untouchable and protected by the Faithful at any cost.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 18, 2020, 01:13 AM

5. they are religious so they are used to twisted logic

yup

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread