HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Weren't Updates for Windo...

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 05:52 PM

Weren't Updates for Windows 7 supposed to stop after 1/14/2020?

Just turned on my computer (still Windows 7) and the notification box appears telling me that there are new updates available. One is "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool" and the other is "Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7". I wasn't expecting anymore updates after Jan.14. What's up?

16 replies, 436 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to skypilot (Original post)

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 05:57 PM

1. I don't know. I have heard this too. I still have Windows 7 and love it, and will not dump...

it just because of someone's say so. I've been around the IT block long enough that I don't freak out anymore about software XYZ and its support going away, etc.

Windows (or Microsoft) burned me out long ago when they kept come out with vers. after vers. repeatedly. Got tired of it and told MS about it too.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SWBTATTReg (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 06:05 PM

3. Thanks for replying.

My computer is about ten years old and still hanging in there. Had some trouble several months go but got it fixed. I am all about using things for as long as they still work, which is why I haven't bought a new computer with Windows 10. But I really wasn't expecting any more updates for the computer I have now.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 06:03 PM

2. I posted about this earlier since I've gotten the 3 updates you mention, all in February. I've been

checking for updates every day since that's my habit. So that's good. I'll keep on using Win 7 no matter what. It's the best OS Microsoft has ever put out.

Reply to this post

Response to abqtommy (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 06:07 PM

4. I missed your thread.

What feedback did you get?

Reply to this post

Response to skypilot (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 06:14 PM

9. It's hard to see everything but here's the thread from February 7+:

Reply to this post

Response to abqtommy (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 06:16 PM

10. I agree w/ you in that Win 7 has been one of the best oper. systems I've run into. It's been...

great to work w/, handles inadvertent shutdowns pretty good (will resume at the point you were at before the abnormal shutdown), and overall, just runs pretty good for me. I do run up against some operating in sync w/ Windows 7 issues, such as my email w/ Charter Spectrum (they don't support, but no problem so far), Java (I don't use that much, but it's not been an issue yet).

Reply to this post

Response to SWBTATTReg (Reply #10)

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 06:20 PM

12. I keep two computers running XP and Vista even after my browser/Firefox stopped support.

I run a good anti-malware/Malwarebytes and have no problems. So I'll continue to run my Win 7 machine too.

Reply to this post

Response to abqtommy (Reply #12)

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 06:24 PM

14. Yeah, I like XP too. Vista was a nightmare. Firefox I haven't installed, my nephew got it for me.

God, walking through memory lane, eh?

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 06:07 PM

5. Extended Support

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4497181/lifecycle-faq-extended-security-updates

The Extended Security Update (ESU) program is a last resort option for customers who need to run certain legacy Microsoft products past the end of support. It includes Critical* and/or Important* security updates for a maximum of three years after the productís End of Extended Support date.

Extended Security Updates will be distributed if and when available. ESUs do not include new features, customer-requested non-security updates, or design change requests.

All Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008/R2 customers will get an update on January 14, 2020 as the operating system is in support until then. Updates for these operating systems after January 14, 2020 will be for ESU customers only.

Reply to this post

Response to Just_Vote_Dem (Reply #5)

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 06:11 PM

6. Thanks! nt

Reply to this post

Response to SWBTATTReg (Reply #6)

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 06:13 PM

7. You're welcome!

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 06:13 PM

8. You'll still get antivirus

Signature updates, but no patches to the operating system.

Reply to this post

Response to Abnredleg (Reply #8)

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 06:18 PM

11. Thanks.

I thought EVERYTHING was going to be over and done with for W7.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 06:23 PM

13. Sometimes Microsoft is forced to keep supporting crap

Because people refuse to evolve. It sucks. I fortunately have no windows 7 to support thank God. Yuck might as well use DOS

Reply to this post

Response to MyNameGoesHere (Reply #13)

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 06:42 PM

16. Sorry it sucks for you.

Don't know why it should though.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 12, 2020, 06:36 PM

15. It's hype. I still get updates for the one XP machine I have.

Windows 7 is far more reliable and stable than Windows 10, which is loaded with telemetry that reports everything you do on the computer.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread