HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Africa locust invasion sp...

Tue Feb 11, 2020, 08:55 PM

Africa locust invasion spreading, may become 'most devastating plague' in living memory, UN warns

As an outbreak of billions of locusts continues to swarm parts of East Africa and devour its vital farmland, the United Nations warned Monday that the region, already suffering from extreme hunger, “simply cannot afford another major shock."

The horde of desert locusts has been destroying crops in Kenya in the worst infestation to hit the nation in 70 years. The insects invaded Kenya last month from neighboring Somalia and Ethiopia, which haven’t seen an outbreak on this level in a quarter-century.

Now the “waves and waves of swarms” are spreading further across the region, said Keith Cressman, the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organizations (FAO) senior locust forecasting officer.

“Also over the weekend they moved into northeastern Uganda,” he told a news conference at U.N. headquarters in New York. “We’re expecting any day they will move across the border into the southeast corner of South Sudan,” where another several million people face hunger as the country struggles to emerge from civil war.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/africa-locust-invasion-spreading-may-become-most-devastating-plague-in-living-memory-un-warns/ar-BBZT1DT?li=BBnbcA1

5 replies, 297 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Africa locust invasion spreading, may become 'most devastating plague' in living memory, UN warns (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Tuesday OP
Dream Girl Tuesday #1
NoMoreRepugs Tuesday #3
superpatriotman Tuesday #2
Demonaut Tuesday #4
csziggy Tuesday #5

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Tue Feb 11, 2020, 09:00 PM

1. let's see locusts, wildfires, plague,rising sea levels...am I leaving anything out? oh yeah

rise of facism. Excuse me while I slit my wrist...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Dream Girl (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 11, 2020, 09:10 PM

3. Relax Dream Girl, we have the smartest person in all

of History at the helm of the USA, nothing to worry about.

Reply to this post

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Tue Feb 11, 2020, 09:04 PM

2. When will Africa catch a break?

Nt

Reply to this post

Response to superpatriotman (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 11, 2020, 09:13 PM

4. Africa has no incidents of the novel corona virus

nor does South America, lets hope the continents stay that way

Reply to this post

Response to Demonaut (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 11, 2020, 09:38 PM

5. Today on NPR they discussed the high population of Chinese on the continent

And how many of them fly home for holidays or to see family on a regular basis. I think they said at least one country has 30 flights to China a week. This will no go well, especially since the health services have received few test kits and are only doing basic screening as people travel in and out of the various countries.
This story was yesterday but the discussions today were similar:

With Plenty Of Trade With China, African Countries Fear Coronavirus Spreading

February 10, 20204:17 PM ET
Heard on All Things Considered

The extensive trade links between China and Africa have raised worries about the spread of coronavirus to the continent. African officials admit they're ill-prepared to deal with a major outbreak.

Transcript and audio file at link: https://www.npr.org/2020/02/10/804616729/with-plenty-of-trade-with-china-african-countries-fear-coronavirus-spreading

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread