HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Trump administration 'rol...

Tue Jan 28, 2020, 10:56 PM

Trump administration 'rolling back women's rights by 50 years' by changing definitions...

The Trump administration's change could have significant repercussions for millions of domestic violence and sexual assault victims
Trump administration Ďrolling back womenís rights by 50 yearsí by changing definitions of domestic violence and sexual assault

'I was massively surprised and really shocked. Itís quite scary how quietly itís happened. Itís a massive step backwards. We have literally gone back to the 70s,' says academic

Maya Oppenheim
Women's Correspondent @mayaoppenheim
Thursday 24 January 2019 17:47

Donald Trumpís decision to change definitions of domestic violence and sexual assault has rolled back womenís rights by half a century, campaigners have warned.

The Trump administration quietly changed the definition of both domestic violence and sexual assault back in April but the move has only just surfaced.

The change could have significant repercussions for millions of victims of gender-based violence.

The Trump Justice Departmentís definition only considers physical harm that constitutes a felony or misdemeanour to be domestic violence Ė meaning other forms of domestic violence such as psychological abuse, coercive control and manipulation no longer fall under the departmentís definition.

more...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trump-domestic-abuse-sexual-assault-definition-womens-rights-justice-department-a8744546.html?fbclid=IwAR2JGwSwW-eKdhsuJGySNWtP5NCGW96Or4kPM56x1YoTwvx2UHOP21VGOIw

13 replies, 1031 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump administration 'rolling back women's rights by 50 years' by changing definitions... (Original post)
babylonsister Jan 28 OP
gratuitous Jan 28 #1
UniteFightBack Jan 28 #2
Haggis for Breakfast Jan 28 #3
Scotch-Irish Jan 28 #4
NCLefty Jan 29 #5
Volaris Jan 29 #6
lunatica Jan 29 #9
Stonepounder Jan 29 #7
lunatica Jan 29 #10
lunatica Jan 29 #8
smirkymonkey Jan 29 #11
lunatica Jan 29 #13
Demovictory9 Jan 29 #12

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Tue Jan 28, 2020, 11:04 PM

1. You can see why Trump doesn't want coercive control and manipulation to qualify

And psychological abuse, for that matter.

The United States is going to spend years ferreting out this regulatory bullshit and excising it from the government.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 28, 2020, 11:05 PM

2. Well we will fucking change it RIGHT BACK. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 28, 2020, 11:15 PM

3. I am so sick of his war on women.

Just today, he applauded Pompous for his outrageous and disgusting attack on the NPR reporter. As if that's some badge of honor. Pompous is nothing more than a boorish thug with a foul mouth.

Reply to this post

Response to Haggis for Breakfast (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 28, 2020, 11:20 PM

4. He's so f***ed up. He'll never get it.

The man has too many issues to count.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 29, 2020, 01:33 AM

5. Putin decriminalized domestice violence a few years back. Trump is just following his hero.

Russia has no domestic violence law and does not treat domestic violence as a stand-alone criminal offense. In a dramatic step back in 2017, certain forms of domestic violence were actually decriminalised. The police more often than not treat victims of domestic violence with open hostility and refuse to register or investigate their complaints.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/07/29/chilling-inaction-domestic-violence-russia-endangering-womens-lives

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 29, 2020, 01:52 AM

6. He obviously doesnt want his wife or daughter to have any legal standing in court.

And l good lot of these very same republicans who support this man-child actually tried to impeach bill clinton for a CONSENSUAL blowjob.

Figures...

Reply to this post

Response to Volaris (Reply #6)

Wed Jan 29, 2020, 02:04 AM

9. His wife and daughter know their place.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 29, 2020, 01:55 AM

7. I'm somewhat confused here.

What part does the Justice Dept play in domestic abuse cases? Isn't that a local issue? Maybe its just late and I'm tired, but I just don't see the FBI getting involved?

Reply to this post

Response to Stonepounder (Reply #7)

Wed Jan 29, 2020, 02:09 AM

10. It's the federal laws they want to change.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 29, 2020, 02:01 AM

8. This literally makes me sick.

Men giving themselves and each other the permission to commit crimes against women. No wonder Trump and company were yucking up Pompeoís inexcusable behavior against the NPR reporter. The good old boys club, putting women in their place. Turning the world into a menís locker room again.

I want to throw up.

Reply to this post

Response to lunatica (Reply #8)

Wed Jan 29, 2020, 02:47 AM

11. +1000

I just want to scream. I am so tired of this shit and I feel like we are powerless to do anything about it. Everyone says that we have the power of the vote, which I plan to exercise.

However, I don't even believe in that anymore because I am certain they will cheat to win and even if he loses, he will refuse to leave. I don't know when I have ever felt such despair about the state of our nation as I do right now.

Reply to this post

Response to smirkymonkey (Reply #11)

Wed Jan 29, 2020, 03:52 AM

13. If we despair then Trump and his people win.

We have to turn all this turmoil into focused strength. We are uniting against him and weíre not sitting idly by without fighting back. From the beginning sane people have fought back. We do not hear about that but itís happening. We have to believe we can win because we may very well do so.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 29, 2020, 03:33 AM

12. kick

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread