HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I can tell you two import...

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 12:13 PM

I can tell you two important things about Millennials

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by OKNancy (a host of the General Discussion forum).

1. THEY DO NOT LIKE JOE BIDEN

2. THEY WILL BE VOTING IN DROVES

Don't tell me that Trump wants to face Sanders or that Sanders can't win. Don't say it. Don't think it. Don't believe it. Don't listen to anyone else tell you that.

If you want to win the white house you are going to win with millennials and millennials have two candidates

Sanders or Warren

Begin to understand this reality

Let it sink in

"Why do this or that? The world is going to end anyway."

Do you even know any millennials? Do you hear what they are saying?

Millennials are literally living in a reality where they feel as if they might not even have a chance of being able to live thier life in it's entirety because of the reality of climate change, because of the possibility that human beings might become extinct. They are working two jobs for shit with student loans that they can't afford to pay. They will be voting for the person who will be addressing those issues.

Millennials grew up with Obama, they will not retrograde into Biden. He has no appeal for them at all. Do you see this? Do you understand?

Joe Biden has served this country well but he is not the future, he is the past.

Once we all realize this together we can embrace the new progressive reality of the Democratic party and move forward with strength and unity. I can't wait for y'all.

23 replies, 805 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply I can tell you two important things about Millennials (Original post)
peoli Jan 18 OP
UniteFightBack Jan 18 #1
VarryOn Jan 18 #14
demmiblue Jan 18 #2
hlthe2b Jan 18 #3
Farmer-Rick Jan 18 #4
Me. Jan 18 #5
Wounded Bear Jan 18 #6
safeinOhio Jan 18 #7
dewsgirl Jan 18 #8
karynnj Jan 18 #9
peoli Jan 18 #13
femmedem Jan 18 #10
onecaliberal Jan 18 #11
Raftergirl Jan 18 #19
Alliepoo Jan 18 #12
ehrnst Jan 18 #15
peoli Jan 18 #17
ehrnst Jan 18 #18
obamanut2012 Jan 18 #20
ismnotwasm Jan 18 #16
obamanut2012 Jan 18 #21
Turin_C3PO Jan 18 #22
OKNancy Jan 18 #23

Response to peoli (Original post)

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 12:15 PM

1. First of all wrong forum. Second ...fine then let them come out in droves and vote and we'll see

who wins. Anyone who needs to be prodded to get excited can go suck a dick. We have a fucking existential threat in the white house for fucks sake.

And yeah I know millennials and they could give one shit about any of this.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to UniteFightBack (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 01:02 PM

14. I work with a ton of millennials...

I am now the old man in the office I used to make fun of!

But, I find most to be fairly apolitical. Hell, most of them canít tell you who our senators and congressman are.

The morning after the debate, I was looking for water cooler talk about what everyone thought. It turned into a discussion about how most of them had ďcut the cord.Ē I hope like hell we donít have to count on millennials to get us through 2029. Ok, old man rant over!

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 12:17 PM

2. Wrong forum. n/t

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 12:19 PM

3. Millenials can support whomever they like. I'm pleased they are engaged. That said

the enemy is Trump and they need to remember that. Nothing is gained when one commits suicide. Allowing Trump to remain in the WH by not supporting whomever wins the Dem nomination, is just that.

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 12:20 PM

4. I have 2 millennialial children

Sanders and/or Warren are their choices.

Those student loans are breaking their backs.

My millennials went through college without any debt. But getting their masters is what cost them.

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 12:21 PM

5. JB Is The Past But BS Is The Future?

Last edited Sat Jan 18, 2020, 01:06 PM - Edit history (1)

such nonsense and a clue for Millenials, they aren't the only ones having a hard time. Many have had one for decades.

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 12:23 PM

6. If millenials stay home if their favorite candidate doesn't win a primary...

well, they are not much use in an anti-Trump universe.

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 12:26 PM

7. So, anyone that both Millennials and

people of color would both vote for? That would be the ticket. How about Yang?

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 12:26 PM

8. At the moment I am spending time/living with millenials

all of them are hardcore Bernie Sanders supporters.

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 12:31 PM

9. If you are right, we will see that in the primaries

They are coming very soon. If you are right, there will be two pieces of information that will be extremely obvious:

1) That rather than voting at extremely low rates, the rate of young people voting will be mush higher. Droves would be far higher than in 2018 when it was 36% - which was a huge increase over the previous midterm election in 2014 when only 20% voted. 2018 looks great compared to 2014, but it is still pretty bad. The overall percent voting was about 53%. Note this also means there is a lot of potential there. https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2019/04/behind-2018-united-states-midterm-election-turnout.html

2) The results as to who they vote for will also be known. If Bernie and Warren really do get huge numbers of young people out - in addition to people supporting them in other demographics, one of them will win.

If however, they fail to pull one the two progressives across the finish line, are you arguing that because they would not bother to vote in the general election - against everything Trump has done - that people who themselves prefer someone else should cater to the youth who are not committed to voting?

I am undecided because there are several candidates, including Warren, that I like - with all of the ones I am undecided between- there are things I love and things I wished they had a different position on.

Response to karynnj (Reply #9)

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 12:59 PM

13. You are right about the primaries

They will be telling...

And yes, of one of the two progressives do not win, Biden will have a lot of work to do to motivate millennials. The one thing about Biden is that he does have the capacity to listen and to adapt

But for millennials there is a huge difference between having it already and acquiring it because the need is there in the moment

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 12:33 PM

10. When a fairly liberal Democrat beat a well-known Green in New London for State Rep

plenty of local politically-engaged millennials were unhappy, and one said, "This is how we go extinct."

And I agree, I don't know any who like Biden, either. All Sanders and Warren, in a very blue part of Connecticut. Now how that balances out against winning more independent voters in swing states, I have no idea.

Edited to add: I knocked doors for the Democrat and am glad he won. But I liked the Green candidate, too--just didn't want to give the Green party any more power. I really want people who align themselves with the Greens work to make the Democratic party more progressive from within rather than a) giving very liberal people an alternative to the Democratic party and b)making it more likely that Republicans win.

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 12:38 PM

11. Black women have been the savior of Democrats. They're mostly breaking for Biden.

Both of my millennials will vote blue no matter who. They know we canít let trump stay.

Response to onecaliberal (Reply #11)

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 01:15 PM

19. This

My 26 year old is not a Bernie fan and he isnít crazy about Warren - who is his Senator.

Heís very into politics (that was his major and he held a high elected position in his college student govít,) but he is also very pragmatic and thinks Bernieís/Warren platforms donít have a chance in hell of getting accomplished.

He is still undecided but will be voting Blue No Matter who.

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 12:44 PM

12. Huh.

Thatís funny coz my millennial kids and their friends were very excited that Joe threw his hat in the ring and are voting for him.

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 01:06 PM

15. What is your source for these statistics behind these "two important points?"

Response to ehrnst (Reply #15)

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 01:08 PM

17. My life is my source

Response to peoli (Reply #17)

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 01:10 PM

18. So you have no real data. Just your opinion.

Got it.

I can tell you for a fact that believing everything you think, uncritically, will not turn out well.

Response to peoli (Reply #17)

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 01:35 PM

20. lulz

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 01:07 PM

16. Wrong forum

I know a LOT of millennials. I mean a lot. They are my primary co-workers with genZ coming up

The sense I get is they want Trump out of office more than they want a horse race.

Response to ismnotwasm (Reply #16)

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 01:36 PM

21. Same and same

All of my staff but one are Mills, and they feel the same. They are split between MP, Warren, and Sanders, but all said they wwould vote for whoever gets the D nom. They are about equally men and women.

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 01:37 PM

22. I am a Millennial.

While itís true many of my peers prefer Sanders, ultimately theyíll vote blue no matter who. Bank on it.

Sat Jan 18, 2020, 01:38 PM

23. Locking - wrong forum

This should be in the Primary forum

Please refer to this post:
https://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1013&pid=9260