HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Anyone know anything abou...

Mon Jan 13, 2020, 01:54 PM

Anyone know anything about massive demos in Germany against Siemens work on Australian coal mine?

German youtube videos reporting on these

Saw some English language reporting from France on internet

Some tie to fires??

2 replies, 280 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Anyone know anything about massive demos in Germany against Siemens work on Australian coal mine? (Original post)
bobbieinok Jan 13 OP
SharonClark Jan 13 #1
Mike 03 Jan 13 #2

Response to bobbieinok (Original post)

Mon Jan 13, 2020, 02:05 PM

1. You're on the internet. Did you try to google it?

There are many articles from 2 hours to 3 days ago that explain what's going on.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bobbieinok (Original post)

Mon Jan 13, 2020, 02:34 PM

2. Here's an article from 3 days ago.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200110-siemens-mulls-quitting-aussie-mine-project-amid-protests

Siemens mulls quitting Aussie mine project amid protests

Siemens boss Joe Kaeser said the German conglomerate would announce by Monday whether it is to pull out of a project to supply rail infrastructure for a giant coal mine in Australia following massive environmental criticism.

Kaeser said Siemens, which supports the Paris climate agreement to curb carbon emissions, faced "a difficult decision" because it had a contractual obligation to deliver the signalling system for the planned mine in Queensland.

After holding talks with Germany's leading Fridays for Future activist Luisa Neubauer in Berlin on Friday, Kaeser said a final decision would be made by Monday.

The proposed Carmichael mine, owned by India's Adani group, has long been controversial but anger over the multi-billion-euro project has been fanned by Australia's catastrophic bushfire season.

Activists from Fridays for Future and Extinction Rebellion staged demos in dozen of German cities against the mine on Friday, including outside Siemens' Munich HQ.

A petition urging Siemens to quit the project drew some 60,000 signatures, while tens of thousands emailed Kaeser personally through the Fridays for Future website.

"Australia is on fire, we are in the midst of a climate crisis and burning coal contributes massively to the warming of the planet," it read.

"Stop supporting the destruction of our planet and our future!"

Siemens' contract to help develop the rail link that will transport coal extracted from the mine is only worth around 18 million euros ($20 million).

More at link.

Good catch. I didn't hear a word of this.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread