HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Fake military draft notic...

Fri Jan 10, 2020, 03:43 AM

Fake military draft notices making young Americans "really nervous"

The federal government is issuing a warning about fake military draft notices sent through text messages, demanding Americans report for duty, and deploy to Iran. The messages — which began to show up on people's phones as tensions mounted in the Middle East — threaten the recipients with jail time if they don't immediately reach out to recruiters.

A military spokesperson confirmed that the Army is investigating the texts that seem to have started on Monday, CBS News' Catherine Herridge reports. They don't know the source or the motive, but the scam seems designed to capitalize on the conflict with Iran.

George Barnes, 18, received a text that read: "You've been marked eligible and must come to the nearest branch… for immediate departure to Iran."

"It got me really nervous because I'm still in high school," Barnes said.

On Wednesday, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College (CGSC) posted a "fact check" of the messages on Twitter. Military drafts ended after the Vietnam War, and were abolished by Congress in 1973, making the United States military volunteer only.

The texts have been received in states across the U.S. and don't seem to be targeting a certain age or gender. They come after the deployment of more than 3,000 additional troops to the Middle East, following last week's U.S. strike in Baghdad that killed Iran's most important general, Qassem Soleimani.

Commander Dave Henning is an Army recruiter in Jacksonville, Florida, where at least 50 cases have been confirmed by CBS News. He was listed as a contact on some of those messages.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/military-draft-this-is-a-trap-draft-fraud-makes-young-americans-nervous/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=80380558

10 replies, 904 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fake military draft notices making young Americans "really nervous" (Original post)
RandySF Jan 10 OP
Totally Tunsie Jan 10 #1
Wounded Bear Jan 10 #2
TEB Jan 10 #5
applegrove Jan 10 #3
B Stieg Jan 10 #4
Wabbajack_ Jan 10 #7
B Stieg Jan 10 #10
Arkansas Granny Jan 10 #6
cwydro Jan 10 #8
llmart Jan 10 #9

Response to RandySF (Original post)

Fri Jan 10, 2020, 03:50 AM

1. Thanks for the "heads up".

There are several friends/family members to whom I'll be forwarding this.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 10, 2020, 03:55 AM

2. I know I'm not supposed to laugh at shit like this...

but, since my draft status has been reduced to "first after women and children" I'll give it a

Considering that people are dumb enough to vote for Trump, and know nothing about how the government-or real life-works we might as well just laugh this shit off.

Just because Trump thinks Twitter is a real way to pass on government communications doesn't make it true. Text messages, too.

Reply to this post

Response to Wounded Bear (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 10, 2020, 05:20 AM

5. I agree

As you after women and kids is where we are

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 10, 2020, 04:06 AM

3. It came to pass: someone on the left spread a lie to change voters

behaviour on the right. Talk about making Trump's base WOKE. In actual fact it could be very dangerous, if someone took it seriously and panicked or lashed out.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 10, 2020, 05:02 AM

4. My students have shown some anxiety about a draft...

especially after reading The Things They Carried.

Reply to this post

Response to B Stieg (Reply #4)

Fri Jan 10, 2020, 06:12 AM

7. China could invade us

And there would not be a draft, politically untenable.

Can you even imagine the massive non-compliance?

Reply to this post

Response to Wabbajack_ (Reply #7)

Fri Jan 10, 2020, 10:30 AM

10. That's what I tell the kids...

but they still brought down the SSS site the morning after Suleimani was killed!
(https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jan/04/us-military-draft-iran-selective-service-system)

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 10, 2020, 06:05 AM

6. My first reaction was "how can people be so gullible?", but then I remembered

we have a President who uses Twitter to set foreign policy, so anything is possible.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 10, 2020, 06:42 AM

8. "Immediate departure."

Do these gullible fools think they just chunk you into a uniform and send you off?

No basic? Besides the fact, the military would use the word “deployment.”

Let’s hope recruiters aren’t taking advantage of these easily conned people.

Reply to this post

Response to cwydro (Reply #8)

Fri Jan 10, 2020, 07:29 AM

9. "Let's hope recruiters aren't taking advantage of these easily conned people."

Recruiters have always taken advantage of youth's gullibility.

On the plus side, maybe this will get more young people to actually go to the polls in November.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread