HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » General Questions for DUe...

Sun Dec 15, 2019, 06:07 PM

General Questions for DUers About the Holidays & The Economy

1) Thinking about the last Holiday season, do you figure to spend more, less, or about the same this year?

2) At this point, is your shopping done? Close? Not close? Not Started? You make gifts?

3) Do you still mostly give "things" or gift cards?

4) Do you mostly shop brick and mortar or Online?

5) Has the recent rise in retail closings impacted your shopping this year?

14 replies, 651 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply General Questions for DUers About the Holidays & The Economy (Original post)
Algernon Moncrieff Dec 2019 OP
Backseat Driver Dec 2019 #1
DFW Dec 2019 #2
Algernon Moncrieff Dec 2019 #11
DFW Dec 2019 #13
NRaleighLiberal Dec 2019 #3
OKNancy Dec 2019 #4
Arkansas Granny Dec 2019 #5
marlakay Dec 2019 #6
Algernon Moncrieff Dec 2019 #7
democrank Dec 2019 #8
Talitha Dec 2019 #9
mercuryblues Dec 2019 #10
Johnny2X2X Dec 2019 #12
el_bryanto Dec 2019 #14

Response to Algernon Moncrieff (Original post)

Sun Dec 15, 2019, 06:12 PM

1. Answers below:

1) Make less, spent less.
2) Very close to done for gifts; completely not done groceries for holiday baking/special meals I consider a gift to whole family.
3) Usually both but less to no gift cards; none this year.
4) Both
5) No

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Dec 15, 2019, 06:25 PM

2. Interesting questions, given our diverse geographical and personal backgrounds

For me:
1.) Less, for sure. Last time, I secretly commissioned a portrait of my wife on our wedding day to be painted by a Cuban painter who usually paints images from antique fading photographs. I sent him a photo of my wife on our wedding day, and asked him to use his imagination to think of it as an old, falling-apart photo, and paint that. That was unique, and could only be done once. Otherwise, I give my girls a small envelope with some U.S. cash. It's sort of ridiculous with the younger one, as she now makes three times what I do, but we can't very well treat them differently at this point. She ends up giving her sister five times that in perks when they travel together anyway. My wife and I both have everything we could possibly want from each other, and it is a relief NOT to add unwanted and unnecessary gestures at Christmas time. We will find token things for our granddaughter, but she is eighteen months old.

2.) Well, yes, but it was done ten months ago, too. Stuff for our daughters. Their men are far more well-off than I am, and would be insulted if we even bothered. We are hosting them and will treat them to a few days of my wife's cooking, which is a privilege that money can't buy.

3.) Things, cash (for the girls), no gift cards.

4.) Brick and mortar. We are dead set against stores dying out.

5.) No. For the few things we are getting, we find the shops. Besides, it is not yet as bad here as it is in the USA. We have about 900 years of tradition in our town, and it doesn't die out as quickly as places that haven't existed for even half that.

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 16, 2019, 09:59 AM

11. Follow up question since you are an adamant Brick & Mortar shopper

Will you use self-checkout a) never b) when I have to c) some of the time d) all of the time?

Reply to this post

Response to Algernon Moncrieff (Reply #11)

Mon Dec 16, 2019, 10:11 AM

13. Almost never

In the States sometimes, but over here not at all. Self checkout is not widely known here anyway. Very few stores have it. Some stuff we do buy online, but only when it isn't sold locally. I'm not going to drive 300 km to Stuttgart to buy a 2 kilo bag of fish food if our local pet/garden store says they'll be out for at least six weeks. We are firm believers in supporting the local economy here, and do so to the extent we can.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 15, 2019, 06:28 PM

3. see below

1 much less
2 very little to do, aiming to complete Wed.
3 things
4 mix of both
5 nope.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 15, 2019, 06:30 PM

4. OK -

1. about the same
2. finished a long time ago
3. things
4. all online
5. no

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 15, 2019, 06:42 PM

5. Answers:

1. Spending about the same.
2. I lack gifts for 4 people. Some gifts are handmade.
3. I give gifts.
4. I shop mostly online.
5. The retailers where I shop have not closed.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 15, 2019, 06:43 PM

6. We are retired

1. About the same but we donít buy a lot.

2. I am getting over bad cold so still have to buy hubby gift and my mom loves cookies so baking and mailing to her. I use to try to get her to eat better but at almost 93 she can eat what she wants!

3. I did a ton of years with cards then it felt empty, bought gifts this year for grandkids. But did buy yearly ITunes for my music loving hubby.

4. I do both, some online and then bought candy and gifts for my new Ireland friend at local independent places.

5. No I live in a area with plenty of shopping.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 15, 2019, 07:11 PM

7. I''ll answer as well

1) About the same, unless you count that (lime many longtime married couples) big home improvements and repairs, like our kitchen makeover (new appliances, cabinet repairs, cabinet painting, replacing the countertops) will be considered presents to one another.

2) About half done, with the last of the shipping taking place tomorrow and everything else will be ordered or purchased for local giving.

3) I'd say about 1/3 gift cards and 2/3 things. I usually try to do gift cards at a particular interest. So if one of the kids/nephews/nieces has a Nintendo Switch, I may get a Nintendo gift card for their online marketplace.

4) About 50/50. I had books ordered gift wrapped from B & N and sent to nieces and nephews. It is a timesaver. However, I've done my share of store shopping as well.

5) Somewhat. Younkers (part of Bon-Ton) was good for certain things, and their closure didn't help. The older daughter was a fan of Forever 21, but their recent store closures have made it more difficult to shop and more hesitant to buy gift cards there.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 15, 2019, 08:19 PM

8. Mine:

1. Buying less

2. Mostly done except for food gifts Iíll make

3. No gift cards

4. All shopping is done at small, local shops or yard sales

5. Shopping is the same this year as last

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 15, 2019, 08:43 PM

9. Some thoughts

A few decades ago, my family decided to jump off the Christmas gift conveyor belt and we've been having a blast ever since.

If we see something during the year that we think someone would like, we buy it and give it to them "because it's Wednesday", know what I mean?

Mostly the items would have been stocking stuffers - like socks with Flamingoes printed on them, a quirky bookmark, a talking Homer Simpson bottle opener, a tiny glass Unicorn... sillystuff like that.

Because the gifts are smaller and less expensive, we can easily afford to get numerous things and spread the Cheer throughout the year - and save the big gifts for their Birthdays.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 15, 2019, 09:44 PM

10. Less

Not because we have to, but because our kids are all pretty self sufficient now. I give them a check and buy some small stuff they can open Christmas morning. This year, I will put the check in a box with a brick, so they won't know what it is.

Most of it is done.

Most of it is done. I give the kids a check and buy some small stuff they can open Christmas morning. This year, I will put the check in a box with a brick, so they won't know what it is.

Mostly online this year. I was sick and was not in the mood to go to the stores. I wasn't gifting my cold to strangers.

Yes it has. A few stores closed near me that I liked to shop at. I would be going to them to finish off my shopping now that I feel better. Now I have to figure out what stores to go to instead. On the plus side a music store opened near me, so I won't have to drive 40 minutes to the one I shopped at last year. At least this year, I only need sheet music, not a bass trombone.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 16, 2019, 10:02 AM

12. Spending less

1) Thinking about the last Holiday season, do you figure to spend more, less, or about the same this year? Spending Less

2) At this point, is your shopping done? Close? Not close? Not Started? You make gifts? Close to done

3) Do you still mostly give "things" or gift cards? Gifts.

4) Do you mostly shop brick and mortar or Online? 50-50

5) Has the recent rise in retail closings impacted your shopping this year? No

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 16, 2019, 10:24 AM

14. About the same

Shopping is done

I don't give much, but that what i give is usually home made.

About half and half.

Not this year. Did in years past though.

Bryant

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread