HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The entire country is ang...

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:39 PM

The entire country is angry and it is not healthy.

I rarely if ever go into Walmart. Today I had to stop in there to pick up something for work. Something I noticed and it wasn't the first time but today it seemed even more prevalent, everyone looked angry or tired or both. This President is wearing us all out in various ways.

The right are worn out defending him, many on the right are just angry after watching to much Fox news, listening to Limpballs, or reading Breitbart. The left are tired and scared of another 4 years of this mess.

I thought the good feelings surrounding Christmas, the music, the happy children might give some people a break, but obviously not. I volunteered at a Christmas store over the weekend. It caters to those who don't have anything for their kids for Christmas. They can come shop and pick out things for their kids under 18. It was packed, more than I ever remember. So many people are hurting.

Then today we heard that Halliburton will be laying off over 800 people in ElReno Oklahoma, permanent layoffs. 3 weeks before Christmas, they will all be suffering during the holidays and beyond. There are not many jobs here that offer a decent salary and benefits.

I know many of you will say "they voted for him they deserve it", I tend to disagree, they were just looking for a better life for working people. They were duped by one of the best con artists I have ever seen in my life. I can never blame a hard working person trying to take care of their family, the company, I can blame them no problem. Corporate America is the bad guy, not the working people.

This guy leading them on may make them even more disillusioned with the system. I totally get it. I am not saying that they were right in who they voted for, I'm just saying that damning them is not in our best interest. They used to be our people before right wing radio, Fox and the destruction of labor unions.

32 replies, 1414 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 32 replies Author Time Post
Reply The entire country is angry and it is not healthy. (Original post)
redstatebluegirl Dec 3 OP
Wounded Bear Dec 3 #1
TheRealNorth Dec 3 #2
redstatebluegirl Dec 3 #4
RKP5637 Dec 3 #9
LisaM Dec 3 #10
TheRealNorth Dec 3 #17
JonLP24 Dec 3 #25
BannonsLiver Dec 3 #3
redstatebluegirl Dec 3 #5
Va Lefty Dec 3 #6
RKP5637 Dec 3 #11
Aristus Dec 3 #7
jaysunb Dec 3 #12
sop Dec 3 #29
Aristus Dec 3 #31
RKP5637 Dec 3 #8
TheRealNorth Dec 3 #20
RKP5637 Dec 3 #21
Skittles Dec 3 #23
H2O Man Dec 3 #13
Blue_Tires Dec 3 #14
redstatebluegirl Dec 3 #15
Skittles Dec 3 #24
Blue_Tires Dec 4 #32
Newest Reality Dec 3 #16
redstatebluegirl Dec 3 #19
spanone Dec 3 #18
Skittles Dec 3 #22
JonLP24 Dec 3 #26
C_U_L8R Dec 3 #27
Kurt V. Dec 3 #28
at140 Dec 3 #30

Response to redstatebluegirl (Original post)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:40 PM

1. Adding the Holiday stress onto the Trump bullshit machine leads to a lot of angry folks...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:44 PM

2. I think it's admirable that you are able to "turn the other cheek"

But I think it's naive to do so. One thing I have learned with the modern Republican is that they take turning the other cheek as a sign of weakness, and it will only embolden them if there is no real cost. They are not sympathetic or reflective people (outside of their "tribe".

Reply to this post

Response to TheRealNorth (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:49 PM

4. I think sometimes we are not as realistic as we need to be.

I don't see it as turning the other cheek as much as realizing that the problems we face with some of the electorate is more neuanced than just "they are all racists". It is easier to just say they are all racists and stupid than to realize that the reasons they feel the way they do is more complicated.

A lot of my family members were union members, until the unions were destroyed in many industries. Some of them are just looking for someone to help bring back the middle class life they enjoyed until the Reagan administration killed it. They are in a dry lake bed looking for water. Some of my cousins voted for him, I have confronted them about it, they all say they don't like him, they just thought he might be able to help them. They drank the kool aid.

Reply to this post

Response to redstatebluegirl (Reply #4)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:59 PM

9. Exactly!!! He spewed a bunch of lies that people believed in and fell for. Some of it sounded pretty

good. I know exactly what you mean.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:00 PM

10. I get where you're coming from - not blaming them for looking for something better.

What I do tend to blame people for is the never-ending, visceral, unwarranted hatred of Hillary Clinton. It was undeserved and there's no need for it to continue even now.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:14 PM

17. Fair enough

But i had several Republican relatives that were gleeful that when Scott Walker passed Act 10, that it was hurting me, even though I was only making $42,000 a year despite having an advanced degree.

That taught me a lot about the modern tea party Republican, I think it is in their being to enjoy sticking it to other people more than bettering their own lives.

Maybe your relatives are different- maybe they were not teabaggers but Obama voters that did not see improvement from the Obama recovery and thought Trump might be different? I have some sympathy for them, but at the same time if they still don't see the problem with Trump, there are probably other reasons they support him beyond economic distress.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 06:33 PM

25. He called Mexicans rapists in my home state very early in his campaign and the crowd cheered

Trump & that crowd were definitely racist. I can't support Republicans because they are racist and even if he may have non racist supporters they are certainly enabling him or willing to look the other way to throw him a vote. I certainly can't be friends with a racist much less vote for one.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:47 PM

3. I travel abroad with some frequency

And pretty much everywhere I go people seem a lot happier than we do here in the United States. Everyone"s got problems, whether you live in Idaho or Ireland, but I dunno, we are a a surly, sometimes violent and easily frightened bunch. I find it exhausting, TBH.

BTW: I live just down the road. Sorry to see the job losses.

Reply to this post

Response to BannonsLiver (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:50 PM

5. I have heard this from my brother who travels abroad a great deal.

He said it is sad to see how angry we all are.

Reply to this post

Response to BannonsLiver (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:52 PM

6. "surly, sometimes violent and easily frightened bunch."

Spot on description of Americans today.

Reply to this post

Response to Va Lefty (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:00 PM

11. Exactly!!! K&R!!! n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:55 PM

7. I like your compassion and willingness to forgive.

I just can't join you in it.

The Trumpsters knew exactly what they were getting. They knew all of his bad qualities, and voted for those more than for anything else. They wanted a President who was just like themselves.

It wasn't economic anxiety. Anyone casting even a cursory glance over Trump's financial life knows what an economic incompetent he is.

It wasn't anger at government. President Obama served for eight scandal-free years, with grace, dignity, and with a wonderful, accomplished family who pursued their own interests without compromising those of the nation. The only ones causing political gridlock were the Republicans themselves.

It was racism, bigotry, misogyny, hatred, greed, and an irredeemable addiction to squalor that motivated his followers to vote for him. If they look tired and discouraged now, that's less a symptom of Trump's Presidency than of what caused them to vote for him in the first place: their undisguised hatred for everything in the world, possibly even themselves. It's a debilitating way to live.

Reply to this post

Response to Aristus (Reply #7)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:03 PM

12. Well said n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Aristus (Reply #7)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 06:52 PM

29. One of Trump's supporters was recently asked why she was upset with the president.

She replied that he hadn't "hurt the right people." That about says it all, doesn't it?

These people knew exactly what they were voting for and did it happily, giddy that someone who shared their "views" was finally in charge at the top. No more "political correctness" they said, "Trump tells it like it is," "he's one of us."

Now they're realizing it was all just snake oil, the big con, more corporate party lies and greed. Trump screwed them, and they're pissed now. Go cry me a river.

Reply to this post

Response to sop (Reply #29)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 07:11 PM

31. Yeah, I remember that.

That probably caused a lot of sad head-shaking when people heard it. What a sad, hate-filled woman...

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 03:56 PM

8. I've noticed the people around here are both angry looking and can be quite nasty. You can

see it all around here, especially too in traffic. And this is a resort area where people are generally pleasant. People just look and act like they are perpetually PO'ed. It did not used to be that way and I attribute it all to tRump. He keeps everyone up in the air and preaches hating one another. The damn guy is destructive as hell and can not be trusted for anything, other than to spew perpetual lies. And in essence, he has not done one F'en thing for the country, other than to benefit his cronies.

Reply to this post

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #8)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:21 PM

20. My Boomer relatives tell me it's because the Millenials have their noses stuck to their smartphones

While they rail on about how millenials are lazy and are destroying this country

Reply to this post

Response to TheRealNorth (Reply #20)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:48 PM

21. Could be, but if boomers are walking around looking nasty ... could be complicating it. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to TheRealNorth (Reply #20)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 06:28 PM

23. I bet those boomers voted for Reagan

I absolutely DETEST Boomers who blame millennials for ANYTHING.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:03 PM

13. Recommended.

Thank you for a powerful message. I agree.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:05 PM

14. They're angry? How the fuck they think *I* feel right now??

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_Tires (Reply #14)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:07 PM

15. I think I indicated that there is anger everywhere.

I am pissed, but I try to curb it or it will eat me from the inside out. I limit my time here at DU so I don't get so angry I can't function.

Reply to this post

Response to redstatebluegirl (Reply #15)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 06:30 PM

24. yeah except

*WE* have to realize how many people were willing to vote for that vile piece of utter SHIT. They disgraced themselves AND America. I will NEVER forgive them.

Reply to this post

Response to redstatebluegirl (Reply #15)

Wed Dec 4, 2019, 12:45 PM

32. +1

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:09 PM

16. I think there is more to it...

Sure, the political situation in this country is really bad and a cause for concern. I mean the morale of it is bad and it is almost palpable.

However, there are many people also feeling the great pinch of trying to try to just get by while dealing with the cognitive dissonance that says that the economy is doing great. There seems to be a sort of coverup or candy coating on what is really going on. You could say that for some, it's a great, booming economy, but for workers and wages that's just not the case overall. Prices are going up for essentials, but wages are still not reflecting the increases in productivity over the last few decades or keeping up with the cost of living.

I would think that it is not just the actual problem of paycheck-to-paycheck and the question of whether one should buy food or pay rent, but also this failure to address the fact that so many people are losing their place in the system or holding on for dear life with no viable prospects to remain or any help coming. We can't keep a lie going just to prop up the sentiment on Wall St. etc., in order to influence stock prices and enrich a small number of major investors who are reaping all the benefits of the "boom" big time.

When you encounter those frustrated, even angry people, not all of them are just being pure jerks for fun, many may be dealing with the very basic factors of survival that are important to fulfill and have stability with in order to have well being and a happy countenance. Worry and fear are not good for a society at all and there is a lot of it digging its claws into the lives of millions of Americans. Almost half of our population is on the edge financially and that means in other ways, too.

Reply to this post

Response to Newest Reality (Reply #16)

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:17 PM

19. Yes I agree.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:16 PM

18. the entire world is tired of this administration's BULLSHIT.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 04:59 PM

22. ...

I can understand those who were "just looking for a better life for working people". Except, I fail to understand how voting for a rich, pussy grabbing fascist con man would help them achieve that. Also, a lot of these same people scream when "illegals" try to improve their job prospects. The latter is more likely the bigger factor in voting for Trump.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 06:35 PM

26. I think he is the luckiest con artist

It is easy to see through his bullshit since he lies 5 seconds in.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 06:42 PM

27. Sorry, elections do have consequences.

And these folks just aren't voting very smart. Like their livelihoods depend on it. They've fallen for the Republican bullshit that they are the party of prosperity - when the last 50 years have proven the exact opposite. It's unfortunate that all these people are suffering because of Trump and the Republicans. But they've got to do something radical if they want a better life.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 06:48 PM

28. yep. I'm angry.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 3, 2019, 06:53 PM

30. Lately I am finding Walmart employees eager to please me (the customer)

They will walk 5 or 6 isles over with me to show where the item I was looking for is located. This seldom happened before.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread