HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Two Presidents

Thu Nov 28, 2019, 09:12 AM

Two Presidents

13 replies, 1378 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to mucifer (Original post)

Thu Nov 28, 2019, 09:22 AM

1. Well, to be fair ... conservative Christians would hate Christ too

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to BuffaloJackalope (Reply #1)

Thu Nov 28, 2019, 09:25 AM

3. That Jewish guy who said you have to feed the poor, aid the sick,

visit the prisoner, welcome the immigrant, that guy? They'd crucify him again if he did come back.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 28, 2019, 09:24 AM

2. Can someone please explain Christians' support of Trump?

Please?!

I was raised as a Christian. I studied the Bible for many years and attended church regularly. I participated in all aspects of the congregations I belonged to and embraced the philosophy espoused by the Biblical Jesus.

Although I no longer believe in that faith, I still respect the teachings and try to apply the Golden Rule to my life.

How do so-called Christians square the circle of supporting Trump? The hypocrisy is beyond contemptible and that's a part of the reason I've rejected organized religions.

Reply to this post

Response to PJMcK (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 28, 2019, 09:26 AM

4. I am a Jew. My opinion is they are the Jews who worshiped the golden calf in

the old testament.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 28, 2019, 09:42 AM

6. I think that for them, politics has overcome theology.

And it wasn't abortion that got the "religious right" organized at first, it was racism. It all started with the early evangelical movement around the turn of the century. After Brown v. Board of Education a lot of evangelical churches in the South started their own schools so their kids wouldn't have to go to integrated schools. Then, after Roe v. Wade, they made common cause with Catholics, who opposed abortion, to increase the power of their movement. By the mid-80's the evangelical right had started exerting real political influence, and as a result GOP politicians had to start pandering to them. The bottom line is that the leaders of the movement became more concerned with power than in doctrine. They give Trump a pass because he is giving them what they want - the racist and anti-abortion policies they've been seeking for decades, and they offer the excuse that even though he's "flawed" he's doing God's work so it's OK. Here's a good explanation: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/11/21/explaining-unbreakable-bond-between-donald-trump-white-evangelicals/

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 28, 2019, 09:46 AM

7. As one explained to me while she was

advocating arresting homeless people for being homeless, sometimes you have to compromise to achieve your goals. She’s a minister of all things and wanted me to support her sick idea. It was a short conversation.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 28, 2019, 07:26 PM

9. I think it would take an experienced psychologist more than a few pages to do so.

So much of what the right-wing stands for is in opposition to the teachings of Christ, especially when it comes to treatment of the poor and immigrants.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 28, 2019, 09:29 AM

5. One is a beautiful human being

The other downright ugly.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 28, 2019, 07:15 PM

8. This is the only picture of the two together

Jimmy was President of the United States. Considering he was elected to clean up the corrosive stench of Nixon, it's wild that the starstruck young man would end up having that job and turn out to be even more corrupt with Jimmy alive to witness it.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 28, 2019, 07:31 PM

10. reminds me of the photos of Obama and Reagan

one orchestrated the killing of the 9/11 mastermind, the other traded arms for hostages with a country that is a state sponsor of terrorism.

guess which one got accused of "appeasing terrorists".

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 29, 2019, 12:34 AM

11. no, one president and one "president"

fuck Trump

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 29, 2019, 12:36 AM

12. Shorten that to Con "christians".

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 29, 2019, 02:20 AM

13. Christianity depends on enemies. That's what the devil is, but fighting him gives no gratification.

Hurting other humans (that you decide are enemies) gives you instant gratification.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread