HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Vegan man sues Burger Kin...

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 10:53 AM

Vegan man sues Burger King claiming meatless burger is cooked on same grill as meat

A man is suing Burger King because the meatless Impossible Whopper is cooked on the same grill as meat products, the lawsuit alleges. The class action lawsuit, filed Monday in the Southern District of Florida, claims that although the burger chain advertises its vegan option as meat-free, it is contaminated by meat by-product because it's cooked on the same grill as meat products.

The suit accuses Burger King of false advertising and benefiting monetarily from offering a vegan option that is not in fact vegan. Burger King declined to comment to several media outlets. CNN's sister network HLN has reached out to Burger King for a response to the allegations in the lawsuit but has not yet heard back.

The class action lawsuit, filed Monday in the Southern District of Florida, claims that although the burger chain advertises its vegan option as meat-free, it is contaminated by meat by-product because it's cooked on the same grill as meat products. The suit accuses Burger King of false advertising and benefiting monetarily from offering a vegan option that is not in fact vegan.

Phillip Williams, the plaintiff in the case, is a vegan who does not eat or drink anything that uses animal by-products. Williams "suffered monetary damages in the amount that he paid for the purchase" the Impossible Whopper, according to the suit.

https://www.koat.com/article/vegan-man-sues-burger-king-claiming-meatless-burger-is-cooked-on-same-grill-as-meat/29839098

27 replies, 1081 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 27 replies Author Time Post
Reply Vegan man sues Burger King claiming meatless burger is cooked on same grill as meat (Original post)
left-of-center2012 Nov 19 OP
mucifer Nov 19 #1
left-of-center2012 Nov 19 #3
mucifer Nov 19 #4
mopinko Nov 19 #6
mucifer Nov 19 #8
Jirel Nov 19 #18
jberryhill Nov 19 #2
Bettie Nov 19 #5
beachbumbob Nov 19 #7
Jirel Nov 19 #19
beachbumbob Nov 19 #21
Celerity Nov 19 #24
RhodeIslandOne Nov 19 #9
The Velveteen Ocelot Nov 19 #10
IcyPeas Nov 19 #13
Jirel Nov 19 #20
beachbumbob Nov 19 #22
Codeine Nov 19 #11
Cartoonist Nov 19 #12
maxsolomon Nov 19 #14
Ms. Toad Nov 19 #17
Mendocino Nov 19 #15
tishaLA Nov 19 #26
Beakybird Nov 19 #16
TidalWave46 Nov 19 #23
Kaleva Nov 19 #25
renate Nov 19 #27

Response to left-of-center2012 (Original post)

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 10:55 AM

1. There are a few vegans who do stupid crap and it always goes viral Just about everyone

in the vegan community is against the lawsuit.

Just want you guys to know that.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mucifer (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 10:57 AM

3. "Just about everyone in the vegan community is against the lawsuit."

How do you know that?

Reply to this post

Response to left-of-center2012 (Reply #3)

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 10:58 AM

4. people I talk with message boards etc. People are upset about the lawsuit existing

Reply to this post

Response to mucifer (Reply #4)

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 10:59 AM

6. would seem like an issue most vegans would be on top of.

Reply to this post

Response to mopinko (Reply #6)

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 11:05 AM

8. Yes, I for example just don't go to burger king and buy it. That said I am glad it exists and less

cows are eaten. Lots of vegans ask them to cook it in the microwave which burger king will do.
Other vegans don't care about the cross contamination knowing they ordered an animal free burger.

Reply to this post

Response to mucifer (Reply #8)

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 12:52 PM

18. Exactly.

I'm an omnivore. I tend to eat vegetarian a lot, though, because it makes sense and it's yummy. Idiots like this guy are making it harder to get meatless options, and give people less incentive to ever give them a try.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 10:56 AM

2. They disclose that, however

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 10:58 AM

5. That was never a secret

and he could have also asked at the counter before ordering. Idiot.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 11:01 AM

7. People who have nothing else going on in their lives do this stuff.

Surprise this person doesn't include the freezer or refrigerator the patties co-habitat in.

Reply to this post

Response to beachbumbob (Reply #7)

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 12:53 PM

19. Or the surfaces on which it's prepped.

Not to mention the same people are handling the various patties, the mayo isn't vegan, etc.

Reply to this post

Response to Jirel (Reply #19)

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 12:55 PM

21. this behavior, to me, smacks of a sense of entitlement.

Reply to this post

Response to Jirel (Reply #19)

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 12:59 PM

24. FDA Says Vegan Mayonnaise Can't Be Called Mayo

https://time.com/4009893/hampton-creek-just-mayo-vegan-egg/

AUGUST 25, 2015

Vegan mayonnaise—which by definition doesn’t contain eggs—can’t be marketed as mayonnaise, according to the Food and Drug Administration. Hampton Creek Foods, Inc., a health foods company whose best known product is a vegan, egg-free mayonnaise called Just Mayo, was sent a warning letter from the FDA on Aug. 12.

“According to the standard of identity for mayonnaise, egg is a required ingredient,” said the letter, which was released Tuesday and was signed by William A. Cornell, Jr., the FDA’s director of the office of compliance. “[H]owever, based on the ingredient information on the labels, these products do not contain eggs. We also note that these products contain additional ingredients that are not permitted by the standard, such as modified food starch, pea protein, and beta-carotene, which may be used to impart color simulating egg yolk. Therefore, these products do not conform to the standard for mayonnaise.”

The FDA requires that a product calling itself “mayonnaise” contain at least 65% vegetable oil and have one or more “egg yolk-containing” ingredients. The “egg” of Hampton Creek’s Just Mayo—and Just Mayo Sriracha, which was also cited in the warning letter—is actually a byproduct of Canadian yellow pea and has fast become a popular product on grocery store shelves across the country, TIME reported last year. The company boasts investors that read like the who’s who of the tech world: Bill Gates, Peter Theil and Vinod Khosla all back the San Francisco-based company.

But in November 2014, Unilever—which owns Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise—filed a lawsuit against Hampton Creek, arguing the lack of eggs in its Just Mayo disqualifies the product from being classified as a mayonnaise. Unilever dropped the suit less than a month later, with a company spokesperson saying in a statement, “We believe Hampton Creek will take the appropriate steps in labeling its products going forward.”

snip

lots of links in the article

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 11:05 AM

9. Here's your five bucks back.

Sheesh

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 11:07 AM

10. A person who is opposed to eating meat probably shouldn't eat at a place

that mostly specializes in meat. Isn't he aiding and abetting the consumption of meat by buying something from a vendor of meat, even if he doesn't buy meat himself?

Reply to this post

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #10)

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 11:34 AM

13. this is also what I think

I am a vegetarian (not a vegan) but I never ever step foot in a fast forward place. Even in other restaurants that offer veggie burger on the menu, I always assume it's cooked on the same grill as regular burgers.

So I both get the guy's message about vegan burgers being cooked on the same grill, and that he shouldn't be in a Burger King if he is a vegan. So I think the lawsuit is wrong. and maybe burger king should have an asterisk on the veggie burger that it's cooked on the same grill (just to avoid confusion)

☮️

Reply to this post

Response to IcyPeas (Reply #13)

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 12:54 PM

20. They offer an option where it's not cooked on the same grill.

It's probably a microwave, but there it is. Either way, prep surfaces, handling, etc. are all going to "contaminate" the veggie patty to some degree.

Reply to this post

Response to The Velveteen Ocelot (Reply #10)

22. so obvious right?

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 11:07 AM

11. Come on, dude.

Don’t fuck shit up for the rest of us who just want a vegan fast food option. I hope this guy gets nothing and then has to pay court fees.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 11:16 AM

12. That's what he thinks

Phillip Williams, the plaintiff in the case, is a vegan who does not eat or drink anything that uses animal by-products.
_

Everytime he drinks a glass of water he is consuming millions of microscopic animals.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 11:52 AM

14. He's got a point.

They wouldn't offer a kosher option cooked on a non-kosher grill.

BK probably didn't think this all the way through; should have had some disclaimers on the menu. "Beyond Meat burgers may contain (little crumbly carbonized bits of) meat".

Reply to this post

Response to maxsolomon (Reply #14)

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 12:00 PM

17. I'm pretty sure it is disclosed.

My recollection is that they even offered advice about how to avoid that contamination (although I can't find it now - since this lawsuit is all that comes up for pages and pages).

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 11:54 AM

15. I had an Impossible Burger

at BK once. They offer to cook in a microwave rather than a broiler and you can get out without mayo.

Reply to this post

Response to Mendocino (Reply #15)

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 01:00 PM

26. Same at Caarl's Jr.

they ask about all of that, including whether you want cheese or not.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 11:56 AM

16. I won't eat anything cross contaminated by human contact. I'm a strict non-cannibal!

Reply to this post

23. Stupid is stupid. NT

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 01:00 PM

25. If one is worried about cross contamination, the prudent thing to do would be to ask first.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 19, 2019, 01:08 PM

27. Clearly I'm in the minority, but I can see why a vegan would be genuinely distressed

I’m a vegetarian but not a vegan; I would prefer that it not be cooked on the same grill as meat, but it’s no big deal.

But there are people who are honestly repelled by the idea of eating bits of flesh and fat from a dead animal. If it’s not clear that cross contamination is possible, Burger King really should address that. Not to mention that people of certain religious faiths aren’t supposed to consume beef or any animal flesh. It’s not a trivial concern.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread