HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Former U.S. top diplomat ...

Mon Nov 11, 2019, 03:45 PM

Former U.S. top diplomat (Condi) Rice concerned by shadow diplomacy on Ukraine

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-impeachment-condoleezza-idUSKBN1XL2A7

NOVEMBER 11, 2019 / 2:10 PM / UPDATED AN HOUR AGO

Ron Bousso

ABU DHABI (Reuters) - Condoleezza Rice, a secretary of state under Republican President George W. Bush, said on Monday reports of an unofficial U.S. policy being carried out in Ukraine were “deeply troubling.”

State Department officials have testified in the Democratic-led impeachment inquiry about an “irregular channel” of people involved in Ukraine policy, including Rudy Giuliani, Trump’s personal lawyer. Public hearings begin this week.

“What I see right now troubles me. I see a state of conflict between the foreign policy professionals and someone who says he’s acting on behalf of the president but frankly I don’t know if that is the case,” Rice, who also served as Bush’s national security adviser, said at a conference in Abu Dhabi.

“It is troubling. It is deeply troubling,” she said.

<snip>

“This is just not a good thing. The world shouldn’t get confusing messages from the United States of America,” she said.

Rice also criticized the July 25 call in which Trump made the request of Ukraine’s newly elected president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy.

“The call is murky, it is really murky. I don’t like for the president of the United States to mention an American citizen for investigation to a foreign leader. I think that is out of bounds,” she said.

</snip>

No one could've imagined the rise of Trump, eh Condi? The Unitary Executive thing was kinda Cheney's bag, remember??

5 replies, 470 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Former U.S. top diplomat (Condi) Rice concerned by shadow diplomacy on Ukraine (Original post)
Dennis Donovan Nov 11 OP
Iliyah Nov 11 #1
malaise Nov 11 #2
jberryhill Nov 11 #3
gratuitous Nov 11 #4
PCIntern Nov 11 #5

Response to Dennis Donovan (Original post)

Mon Nov 11, 2019, 03:52 PM

1. There is that word again from a GOP . . . .

"concerned"

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 11, 2019, 03:53 PM

2. CondiLIAR is a detestable

creep.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 11, 2019, 03:54 PM

3. Kindasleezy Rice came out of her crypt?

Does this mean six more weeks of autumn or something?

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 11, 2019, 04:08 PM

4. Deeply troubling, Dr. Rice?

Now you're no longer on board with political operatives supplanting the State Department professionals, re-writing the facts to suit the guy in the Oval Office? When did that change of "heart" happen?

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 11, 2019, 04:15 PM

5. Let's put your name on another oil tanker

and tell me how concerned you are for politics and the environment

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread