HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Cost of in-home care is g...

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 02:11 PM

Cost of in-home care is getting more expensive

By Michelle Singletary

When my father-in-law came to live with my family, we hired home health aides to help with his care.

He couldnít cook or feed himself and needed help with bathing and getting dressed. He required assistance taking his medication and even rising from a bed or chair.

My father-in-law had a decent amount of savings, but to try and make the money last longer to cover the long-term care he needed, we hired someone for just four hours in the morning and then another aide came for two hours in the evening to help my father-in-law get ready for bed. The rest of the time my husband and I were his caregivers.

It cost about $20 an hour for the in-home care services. And when my father-in-law was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and placed under hospice care, we kept the one aide he liked and significantly increased her hours because he was in so much pain and needed extra attention.

-more-

https://www.heraldnet.com/business/cost-of-in-home-care-is-getting-more-expensive/

6 replies, 539 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Cost of in-home care is getting more expensive (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Oct 31 OP
lunatica Oct 31 #1
alwaysinasnit Oct 31 #2
Raftergirl Oct 31 #3
MarcA Oct 31 #4
iamateacher Oct 31 #5
WhiskeyGrinder Oct 31 #6

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 02:23 PM

1. I had to quit my job to care for my mother at home

My son moved back from NY to help me. She was bedridden for 5 years and had Dementia so we thought it was better to always have someone there.

If I had paid for assistance it would have taken my entire paycheck. My son worked freelance from home so employment was always an issue. I had to work.

It was heartbreaking and exhausting not only physically but mentally and emotionally. My son could care for her during the day, making sure she ate and took her medication, but the physically hard part of keeping her clean (she was also incontinent) fell to me. Itís incredibly hard work to care for the physical needs of an adult who is mostly bedridden.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to lunatica (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 02:37 PM

2. You and your son were the best gift your mother could have been given. I had a somewhat

similar situation but was fortunate that we could afford to provide my mother with a full-time (40 hrs) caregiver. A brother lived with her and cared for her after hours and I would help with weekends. Despite all this help it took a toll, so I can only imagine how difficult it was for you and you son.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 02:40 PM

3. I'm very fortunate

my parents had the foresight to have long term care insurance. My dad had care during the day for about a year and for six months around the clock care. My mom still has her policy but, fortunately, at age 90 she is still healthy and has all her mental faculties.

My inlaws, otoh, didnít plan at all. Both are now in skilled nursing care at the bargain basement price of $26K/month.

Reply to this post

Response to Raftergirl (Reply #3)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 02:44 PM

4. People can save others a lot of grief by making such plans ahead of time.

Either insurance or some plan. None are perfect but certainly better than none.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 03:28 PM

5. Going through these issues now

My mother's extended care insurance pays maximum $210 a day. A 90 day period before they pay anything. Nursing homes are $14,000 to $16,000 a month. Assisted living memory care is $8,500. (You have to qualify medically). Home care (not nurses, home companions) are $20 an hour. $14,400 for 24 hour care.
My father had extended care insurance, but died before
the insurance company started paying for any care. Neither of my in-laws used theirs either.
My parents were paying into extended care insurance since the 1990 's. $8,000 a year for over 20 years. If we had put that money into a bank, we would have almost $200,000 to pay today for my mother's care.
Watch what you buy. Consider putting money into a medical savings account.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 04:11 PM

6. A friend of mine committed suicide rather than burden her aging parents with the in-home care

she needed to live.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread