HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » If the House impeaches Tr...

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 08:51 AM

If the House impeaches Trump...

McDonnell is going to block it.

No doubt.

8 replies, 491 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply If the House impeaches Trump... (Original post)
Archae Oct 31 OP
dawg day Oct 31 #1
Bettie Oct 31 #2
Archae Oct 31 #3
Andy823 Oct 31 #5
Johnny2X2X Oct 31 #4
MineralMan Oct 31 #6
onenote Oct 31 #7
brush Oct 31 #8

Response to Archae (Original post)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 08:56 AM

1. Rick Wilson said that Mitch will dump Trump the minute he thinks he'll lose the majority

in 2020.

I suspect he's right. McConnell doesn't like Trump (well, no one who knows him does), and he's actually more comfortable being in the opposition to the president as he was with Obama. He and his majority have gotten very little from having a president of their own party (esp when the House is majority Dem).

And he will get very little for helping Trump stay in office long enough to run in 2020 and perhaps take the Senate to defeat with him too.

I don't know... but McConnell is definitely hedging his bets now, making no great pronouncements of support. I don't know that he thinks having Trump stay in office is particularly beneficial to him.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dawg day (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 08:57 AM

2. McConnell doesn't like Trump

but does anyone like either of them? Really, honestly like them? I don't think so.

Reply to this post

Response to dawg day (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 08:58 AM

3. I'll believe it when I see it.

Reply to this post

Response to Archae (Reply #3)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 09:06 AM

5. Yep

trump has dirt on a lot of republicans, and I am sure Mitch is one of them. Every republican will have to decide to put their country first, and do the right thing by voting to remove trump, or they will stand behind trump and let the country suffer to keep their own crimes covered up.

If I remember right there is an investigation going on involving Mitch's wife. That could be a problem for Mitch if is happening now.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 08:59 AM

4. Trump owns Mitch

He hired Mitch's wife to work in his administration and then had her participate in a bunch of illegal activity. Basically if Mitch abandons Trump, Trump will have his wife arrested for corruption.

Trump doesn't get into bed with anyone without having leverage over them, ever.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 09:09 AM

6. McDonnell?

If you mean McConnell, he can't block anything. If Trump is impeached, there will be a trial in the Senate. That's a constitutional requirement. SCOTUS Chief Justice Roberts will preside over that trial. McConnell will be just another Senator on the jury of 100.

Reply to this post

Response to MineralMan (Reply #6)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 09:19 AM

7. One possible (but highly unlikely) twist

The Senate rules governing impeachment trials assign different tasks to the Presiding Officer of the Trial (i.e. the Chief Justice) and the Presiding Officer of the Senate (i.e., the Vice President or a Senator sitting as President Pro Tem). Most of the duties assigned to the Presiding Officer of the Senate are ministerial -- administering oaths, etc. However, there is one rule that, with the concurrence of the majority of the Senate gives the Presiding Officer of the Senate enormous power:

'That in the trial of any impeachment the Presiding Officer of the Senate, if the Senate so orders, shall appoint a committee of Senators to receive evidence and take testimony at such times and places as the committee may determine, and for such purpose the committee so appointed and the chairman thereof, to be elected by the committee, shall (unless otherwise ordered by the Senate) exercise all the powers and functions conferred upon the Senate and the Presiding Officer of the Senate, respectively, under the rules of procedure and practice in the Senate when sitting on impeachment trials.'

Impeachment trial by committee has been used in trials of judges, but never for a presidential impeachment and it is unlikely that the Republicans would attempt to move the trial to a committee process, with the committee appointed by McConnell (sitting as President Pro Tem).

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 09:29 AM

8. Quite possibly, but if they do it's on them. No impeached president has ever run for re-election...

not Johnson, Nixon or Clinton so we'll be in uncharted territory if trump runs again. IMO a party running an impeached president has a huge disadvantage.

As the impeachment unfolds and more damning info and bad polling comes out as we get closer to the election, trump might resign.

IMO that's his best move but seldom does that idiot do the sensible thing.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread