HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » What's up in Maryland's 7...

Wed Oct 30, 2019, 11:10 PM

What's up in Maryland's 7th District now that we have lost our great Elijah Cummings?

This is my district. We are at the extreme Western edge of it.

We now have a date for the special election - for the primary and for the actual vote. All the energy here is on who will succeed Elijah Cummings. He was revered here and his shoes will be hard to fill.

While no one has yet formally announced, there are three names at the top of many lists right now.

Cummings' widow, Maya Rockeymoore Cummings, is likely the leading contender, if for no other reason than who she is. But she is so much more in her own right. She currently serves as head of the Maryland Democratic Party. Pull up her wiki page. She is a seasoned Washington hand.

The second name in the mix is former MD7 Congressman (succeeded by Cummings) and former NAACP President Kweisi Mfume. He gave up the seat to run for Senate, had issues arise during that campaign, and was not elected. As above, his wiki page has more.

The third name is Baltimore state's attorney Marilyn J. Mosby. She is popular and twice-elected to her current seat. My issue with her is she was far too quick to charge the thug-cops who killed Freddie Gray; subsequently she had to drop all charges. In my view, she really blew the case. That said, she is young, dynamic, and ambitious. We could do a whoooole lot worse!

A longer shot is Howard County Exec Calvin Ball, a real up and comer in Maryland Democratic politics. He flipped the county red-to-blue and I prefer he stay where he is for now. He would be a GREAT choice for governor when Larry Hogan is term-limited out.

There are others in play, but so far these four are the ones generating buzz.

I personally favor Maya Rockeymoore Cummings or Kweisi Mfume with a slight edge to Mfume for experience.

0 replies, 375 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread