HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Coal miners that voted fo...

Wed Oct 30, 2019, 10:53 PM

Coal miners that voted for their savior

Trump are now caught up in Bob Murray's bankrupsy. Mitch Mc Connel refuses to put a pension plan bailout up for vote. Miners you been Trumped. I wonder if they will still vote for the Republicons and blame Obama.

6 replies, 972 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to doc03 (Original post)

Wed Oct 30, 2019, 11:24 PM

1. Probably. Politics is religion-ish these days. How many people actually abandon their religion over

the problem of evil/theodicy? Very few. Very, very few. Anecdotes abound -- and good for them -- but most people stick with their young-adult self-identity for their entire lives.

So these red-state, Trump-voting coal miners who are now screwed by Trumpist coal mining corporatists?... Nothing that one can imagine will change the minds of most of them.

A few? Sure. Most? NOPE.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 30, 2019, 11:39 PM

2. They, might, now know which side their bread is buttered on.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 30, 2019, 11:43 PM

3. "I wonder if they will still vote for the Republicons." Most undoubtedly will.

Racism and sexism are powerful, powerful drugs.

As for blaming Obama, I'll never get over how a poll of Louisiana Republicans showed that more of them blamed Obama than blamed Bush for the government's response to Hurricane Katrina.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 12:22 AM

4. There won't be any change

Coal miners seem like one of the most pig-headed bunches out there. For decades, republican politicians have praised them, making big promises to them but then going back on their word only to give money to the mine owners instead, who then screw over the workers. But that praise and the whole, "My daddy was a coal miner and so was his daddy and his daddy," pride keeps them chained to a dying industry, resisting any attempts at retraining, even when the programs are free. Hell, in any other industry when the workers have problems, republicans tell them to pull themselves up by their boot-straps, go back to school or get extra training so they can advance in their career or switch to a new one. Not coal-mining though. Part of the republican support for them undoubtedly is due to wanting to, "own the libs," by supporting an industry that pollutes, and the other part is their belief that Jesus is due back any day now so why bother caring for the environment.

It's honestly difficult, even for a bleeding-heart liberal like me, to feel sorry for these knuckle-heads.

TlalocW

Reply to this post

Response to TlalocW (Reply #4)

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 04:25 PM

6. I grew up here in the Ohio Valley, when you got out

of high school you either went into the mines or the steel mill and made decent middle class income. Those days are gone and aren't coming back. But demigods like Trump promises to make America great again and they want to believe it. I spent 40 years working in a steel mill, I wouldn't want my kids working in either one. The environment in the mine or mill takes a toll on your body and mind. There are very few my age that are still alive and if they are they are crippled up with bad backs or carry oxygen tanks to breath.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 31, 2019, 12:24 AM

5. the world needs ditch diggers too

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread