HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Twitter Says It Will No L...

Wed Oct 30, 2019, 07:11 PM

Twitter Says It Will No Longer Run Political Advertisements, Trolls Facebook

Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey announced on Wednesday that the platform will no longer host political advertisements, a major shift in the social media giant’s policy ahead of the 2020 elections. “We’ve made the decision to stop all political advertising on Twitter globally,” he wrote. “We believe political message reach should be earned, not bought.”

?s=20

Dorsey posted a lengthy explanation of his rationale, threaded over several additional tweets. “A political message earns reach when people decide to follow an account or retweet,” he wrote. “Paying for reach removes that decision, forcing highly optimized and targeted political messages on people. We believe this decision should not be compromised by money. While internet advertising is incredibly powerful and very effective for commercial advertisers, that power brings significant risks to politics, where it can be used to influence votes to affect the lives of millions.”

The announcement comes amid heightened scrutiny of how social media platforms regulate political advertisements. Last week, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg struggled to explain his platform’s policy while testifying before Congress, indicating that political advertisements will not be fact-checked. “Congresswoman, in most cases, in a democracy, I believe people should be able to see for themselves what politicians they may or may not vote for are saying and judge their character for themselves,” Zuckerberg said when asked by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) whether Facebook will take down political advertisements that contain false information.

Dorsey appeared to throw in a jab at Zuckerberg in his explanation of Twitter’s decision. “t‘s not credible for us to say: ‘We’re working hard to stop people from gaming our systems to spread misleading info, buuut if someone pays us to target and force people to see their political ad…well…they can say whatever they want!” he wrote, throwing in a winking emoji.

?s=20

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/twitter-bans-political-advertisements-jack-dorsey-905957/

4 replies, 379 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Twitter Says It Will No Longer Run Political Advertisements, Trolls Facebook (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Oct 30 OP
BigmanPigman Oct 30 #1
Me. Oct 30 #2
kimbutgar Oct 30 #3
Mike Nelson Oct 30 #4

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Wed Oct 30, 2019, 07:16 PM

1. If Fuckerberg even considered doing the same

I will be in shock for a week. That greedy, power hungry ass loves $$$ as much as the GOP.

Sooooooooo glad I never got Twitter or Fakebook.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 30, 2019, 07:18 PM

2. He's Going To Have To

The change has begun and I bet Google will be next. The Zuck will be left without a defense

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 30, 2019, 07:28 PM

3. Zuckerberg lives in SF

I have a feeling fellow residents and neighbors will make their feelings known about his stance in the upcoming weeks.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 30, 2019, 07:39 PM

4. I hope Facebook follows...

... Twitter. I have not seen pro-Trump ads on my Facebook newsfeed... friends share "memes" and most all are against Trump. I do have a few friends that share pro-Trump posts. I do like to know how the "other side" thinks... but no ads. There are, also, ads toward the right of the screen, but I don'r read them. It could be that Facebook decided I'm not susceptible, so i'm not a target. I do see pro-Trump, or pro-Republican ads around... sometimes even here, but not many.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread