HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Breaking: House will vote...

Mon Oct 28, 2019, 03:34 PM

Breaking: House will vote Thursday on impeachment procedures

House Democrats said Monday that the House will vote on Thursday to formalize procedures for the next phase of the impeachment inquiry into President Trump.

The text of the resolution was not immediately available, but House Rules Committee Chairman Jim McGovern (D-Mass.) said it would "ensure transparency and provide a clear path forward" as the investigation continues. "This is the right thing to do for the institution and the American people," he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-impeachment-inquiry-live-updates/2019/10/28/4d316e64-f96a-11e9-8190-6be4deb56e01_story.html

If this is what I think it is, it's a really smart move!

I suspect that the resolution won't be a resolution authorizing an impeachment inquiry, but will instead lay out the procedures for an inquiry, which will operate as an approval without coming out and saying it.

It's my recollection that this was done in the Nixon impeachment - the House never specifically approved an impeachment inquiry, but approved various procedures for the conduct of an inquiry. I'll check the history, and correct that if I'm wrong.

6 replies, 1045 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Breaking: House will vote Thursday on impeachment procedures (Original post)
StarfishSaver Oct 2019 OP
UncleTomsEvilBrother Oct 2019 #1
PunkinPi Oct 2019 #2
Fiendish Thingy Oct 2019 #3
Buzz cook Oct 2019 #4
StarfishSaver Oct 2019 #6
monk3431 Oct 2019 #5

Response to StarfishSaver (Original post)

Mon Oct 28, 2019, 03:37 PM

1. Well,...

...what do you think it is?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Oct 28, 2019, 03:38 PM

2. Speaker Pelosi's "Dear Colleague" announcement

NEW ó Here is Pelosiís Dear Colleague letter announcing vote on continuing impeachment proceedings and moving them to the public phase

Happy Halloween (Halloween is Thursday)!

Reply to this post

Response to PunkinPi (Reply #2)

Mon Oct 28, 2019, 03:44 PM

3. Yeah, I figured this was connected to the move to public hearings

The Dems will get the rules and procedures on the record, so the GOP reps can't whine about no "due process". Hopefully the rules will include restraints on grandstanding, and give most of the time to staff lawyers for questioning witnesses.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 28, 2019, 03:47 PM

4. The wroding of Pelosi's letter

makes it clear that this vote is not giving in to Trump's demands.

Of course Trump will claim the opposite. Hopefully enough in the media will not chase that shiny ball.

I'm a bit surprised that they are moving to open hearing this soon. Hopefully closed door sessions will still continue. for all the rest of Trump's crimes.

Reply to this post

Response to Buzz cook (Reply #4)

Mon Oct 28, 2019, 03:50 PM

6. Exactly - SO smart!

Among other things, it shuts tfu Lindsey Graham's stupid Senate resolution.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 28, 2019, 03:49 PM

5. She's a beast.

We're fortunate to have Pelosi running this impeachment process. She's playing chess while the traitor Republicans are playing kickball.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread