HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Your Neighbor's Christian...

Mon Oct 28, 2019, 06:54 AM

Your Neighbor's Christian Education, Courtesy of Your Tax Dollars

No, I don't want my taxes to fund religious schools. The next big fight:
"Espinoza v. Montana Department of Revenue, an important case about state-voucher funding for private religious schools"

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/10/supreme-court-private-schools/599956/?utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_content=5db6877c8021ed0001329147_ta&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR116HiAtS8OP5vRrTwRM-LrwnnoDUNrJVKvpwLVi2J9SpHeSQZe-PDGjH0the Atlantic:

3 replies, 654 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Your Neighbor's Christian Education, Courtesy of Your Tax Dollars (Original post)
yellowwoodII Oct 28 OP
Blue_playwright Oct 28 #1
yellowwoodII Oct 28 #2
Hortensis Oct 28 #3

Response to yellowwoodII (Original post)

Mon Oct 28, 2019, 07:02 AM

1. My kids go to private school

We pay a fortune for it (and are damn broke todo it) but we made the choice and donít elect anyone else to pay for it. Vouchers are ridiculous.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Blue_playwright (Reply #1)

Mon Oct 28, 2019, 07:33 AM

2. Members of my family did, too.

I have nothing against private schools.
But, as you say, it's a choice. Some of them teach doctrines that I strongly differ with. I don't want to have to support their ideas.

Reply to this post

Response to yellowwoodII (Original post)

Mon Oct 28, 2019, 07:44 AM

3. I know general tax dollars should not be used to teach children

religious doctrine but would be okay with their being used to support other functions of schools that conformed to state standards -- IF the infusion of money did not in its effect assist religious functions. But good trick avoiding that even when churches have tried to.

This was my biggest single issue with Hillary. She's comfortable being looser on this, tending to appreciate the genuine contributions of church schools to society more than objecting to the negatives. Within limits, of course.

This case was advanced and almost certainly accepted to cement church rights to public money. We have 5 religious conservative justices (of Catholic backgrounds, plus 1 liberal "cultural" Catholic) who think the "religious beliefs" of semi- publicly held corporations trump the rights and needs of employees.

Scotusblog has given a great deal of attention to this case from various points of view, before and after it appeared on the docket in September. From the brief to be considered:

QUESTION PRESENTED: Whether the no-aid provision of the Montana Constitution, which disqualifies religious schools from receiving neutral and generally available public funds, violates the Free Exercise Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/espinoza-v-montana-department-of-revenue/

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread