HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Will the formal impeachme...

Sat Oct 26, 2019, 09:34 PM

Will the formal impeachment hearings

be broadcast over the air, or only on cable? If the plan is only cable at this point, we must push for it to be broadcast over the air. Many people do not have cable TV. This is history being made and every American should be a part of it.

24 replies, 996 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply Will the formal impeachment hearings (Original post)
Teach-only-love Oct 2019 OP
elleng Oct 2019 #1
blogslut Oct 2019 #2
Control-Z Oct 2019 #8
blogslut Oct 2019 #12
StarfishSaver Oct 2019 #3
Hermit-The-Prog Oct 2019 #10
Hortensis Oct 2019 #15
dewsgirl Oct 2019 #4
Brother Buzz Oct 2019 #5
dewsgirl Oct 2019 #6
Teach-only-love Oct 2019 #7
onenote Oct 2019 #9
Teach-only-love Oct 2019 #11
BumRushDaShow Oct 2019 #13
Celerity Oct 2019 #16
BumRushDaShow Oct 2019 #19
onenote Oct 2019 #21
BumRushDaShow Oct 2019 #22
onenote Oct 2019 #23
BumRushDaShow Oct 2019 #24
Kaleva Oct 2019 #14
Celerity Oct 2019 #18
BumRushDaShow Oct 2019 #20
DeminPennswoods Oct 2019 #17

Response to Teach-only-love (Original post)

Sat Oct 26, 2019, 09:39 PM

1. DUNNO,

and Dems may or may not know yet. You referring to up-coming 'hearings' in the House, or later, in the Senate, the trial?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Oct 26, 2019, 09:39 PM

2. We'll see

Network television carried them before.

Reply to this post

Response to blogslut (Reply #2)

Sat Oct 26, 2019, 10:19 PM

8. You mean back when there was no cable?

Or recently? And if recently, who was being impeached?

Reply to this post

Response to Control-Z (Reply #8)

Sat Oct 26, 2019, 10:38 PM

12. Well, I was young at the time but

Even I, a mere child watched the Watergate hearings on network television. As for Clinton, I worked a day job then so I can't say how much the major networks aired the live hearings.

I mean, as someone asked above, are we talking the Senate hearings or the hearings from the House?

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 26, 2019, 09:43 PM

3. It's up to the networks

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #3)

Sat Oct 26, 2019, 10:22 PM

10. wth good is Deep State if we can't order people around?!?1

It's time to unleash the ninjas from all the pizzeria basements and Walmarts in the land!

Reply to this post

Response to Hermit-The-Prog (Reply #10)

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 06:28 AM

15. Lol, but I think the word of the era is "push," rather than "order."

At least it keeps popping up here on DU.

What good is having citizens who watch cable and thus know more than, well, everyone, if they can't "push" network presidents, Nancy Pelosi, and U.S. senators into compliance whenever liberty, justice and pizza for all demand it?

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 26, 2019, 09:50 PM

4. I read on Twitter, the open hearings will begin in mid November.

Reply to this post

Response to dewsgirl (Reply #4)

Sat Oct 26, 2019, 09:55 PM

5. Just the opening act, a healthy tease just before the Thanksgiving break

The thought of impeachment being discussed at the dinner tables over the holiday is surely going to strain the sphincter mussels of every republican congress critter.

Reply to this post

Response to Brother Buzz (Reply #5)

Sat Oct 26, 2019, 09:56 PM

6. Good.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 26, 2019, 09:57 PM

7. We should push for over the air broadcast

as well as cable. This is something that effects EVERY American, and every one of them must have the chance to see the facts. If someone can not afford cable they will be effected the same as anyone else.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 26, 2019, 10:20 PM

9. I don't think the Clinton impeachment hearings were carried by commercial broadcast tv

PBS carried them and probably would carry Trump hearings. But I doubt the commercial network will carry the House proceedings. (Even in the case of the Watergate hearings, the networks rotated coverage -- they didn't all carry the hearings.)

Reply to this post

Response to onenote (Reply #9)

Sat Oct 26, 2019, 10:34 PM

11. The Clinton impeachment was a joke

It was all political. Trump's impeachment is serious and deals with more than a sex act. In fact, it is so serious that the sex act is being ignored.

Reply to this post

Response to onenote (Reply #9)

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 06:15 AM

13. They were

We had a few folks like myself, with hand held portable ("pocket" ) TVs watching at work - I had bought a couple portables during the late '80s - the late '90s period including my fave - a Casio one. ). Used the TV to watch the Thomas hearings before that too. I even still had one and watched the analog broadcasts of my local network broadcast stations go off the air and switch to digital.

News agencies were on alert in December 1998, waiting to cover the impeachment hearing, and to capture, and comment on, the president’s remarks on December 20, after he was impeached. While CNN opted for a split screen to cover both the debate in the House and the bombing of Baghdad, CBS went to a football game, the only network not to cover the hearing. The "sense of history and decorum did not last long," and Dan Rather then announced the vote of impeachment on the bottom of the screen during the football game. It was the most drastic example of a corporate decision to value entertainment and paid sponsors over journalistic ethics.

https://danratherjournalist.org/anchorman/breaking-news/bill-clintons-impeachment-trial

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #13)

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 06:45 AM

16. 'to cover both the debate in the House and the bombing of Baghdad'

Last edited Sun Oct 27, 2019, 07:20 AM - Edit history (1)

Just looked this up (I had literally just turned 3 years old at that time.)

Curious timing and rationales.

https://tinyurl.com/y28k5ntu

If Rump pulls some similar shit, I wonder if the Rethugs will again say 'Wag The Dog'. Something tells me they will not.

Reply to this post

Response to Celerity (Reply #16)

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 07:00 AM

19. "I had literally just turned 3 years old at that time"

Awwww.... (have a nephew your age)

And yes, you can imagine the tongue-wagging about the timing, although during that timeframe, Clinton's focus had actually been more on the Yugoslavia mess (although sorties across Iraq were still happening IIRC).

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #13)

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 12:07 PM

21. The broadcast networks did not provide live coverage of the Clinton impeachment hearings

The hearings by the Judiciary Committee, which took place in November and early December, with testimony by Ken Starr and others, were not televised.

The networks only covered the vote in the House to adopt articles of impeachment on December 19.

Reply to this post

Response to onenote (Reply #21)

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 12:25 PM

22. See this

Networks Want Only Bits of Impeachment Hearings
By JANE HALL
Oct. 17, 1998
12 AM

TIMES STAFF WRITER
WASHINGTON —

Millions of Americans turned to the major broadcast networks in 1973 to see Watergate hearings that exposed the “dirty tricks” and secret tape-recordings of the White House and made folk heroes out of Sen. Sam Ervin and other participants. The country was riveted again in 1974 as the House Judiciary Committee debated whether to recommend the impeachment of then-President Richard Nixon. ABC, CBS and NBC alternated carrying the hearings live, with one of the three networks preempting its daytime schedule each day to televise hours of testimony and debate. PBS also carried the hearings live every day, helping to launch PBS’ “NewsHour” by teaming Jim Lehrer and Robert MacNeil to anchor the coverage.

Twenty-five years later, after the Nov. 3 elections, the House Judiciary Committee is expected to begin an impeachment inquiry into allegations that President Clinton committed perjury about his relationship with former White House intern Monica S. Lewinsky. In a sign of how the television landscape has changed, executives at the three major broadcast networks say they expect to carry only portions of the proceedings live, leaving full coverage to the all-news cable channels. “We’re still waiting for details on the hearings, but my guess is that MSNBC [NBC’s cable news channel] will do gavel-to-gavel coverage, and NBC will carry key testimony live,” NBC News Vice President Bill Wheatley said in an interview. “You have to remember that this is not 1974 in terms of TV news--there wasn’t even a C-SPAN then.”

Lane Venardos, executive producer of special events coverage for CBS News, said he expects that his network will “pick and choose” among the testimony during the day, providing some live coverage, with extensive coverage on the “CBS Evening News With Dan Rather” and, possibly, some nighttime specials in the event of major news. “We don’t know yet how long the hearings will last or what the witness list will be,” Venardos said. But, like other broadcast executives, he said that any testimony by Lewinsky would almost certainly be carried live. ABC executives said they need more details about the hearings before they can discuss their coverage plans.

The “NewsHour With Jim Lehrer” has proposed producing live daytime coverage of the hearings for PBS. But public television sources say PBS stations were polled recently on the subject and showed little appetite for preempting their daytime block of children’s programming. Lester Crystal, executive producer of “NewsHour,” said he hopes that stations will approve the idea. “We’re in discussions with PBS, and we’d like to provide daily coverage,” Crystal said, adding that “NewsHour” will provide extensive excerpts and analysis of the hearings on its regular telecasts.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1998-oct-17-ca-33236-story.html

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #22)

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 01:27 PM

23. See this.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2019/10/02/a-trump-impeachment-hearing-will-be-must-see-tv/#1a76d42430f1

The Judiciary Committee hearings in the Clinton impeachment were given live gavel to gavel coverage by the cable networks. The broadcast networks covered them in late night, taped coverage.

Reply to this post

Response to onenote (Reply #23)

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 02:07 PM

24. And as I also posted

depending on who was testifying, the networks selectively broke in during the day, to show that testimony.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 06:25 AM

14. According to this 2010 data, only 8% of homes get their tv by antenna.

Reply to this post

Response to Kaleva (Reply #14)

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 06:58 AM

18. It probably is less now, as that is almost 10 year old data.

I did see this (from 2019), that shows a bigger number, BUT that larger number is very misleading as many have cut the cable/sat etc because they use broadband now (often through their telly), so it is not like they are actually watching OTA broadcasts.

Nielsen: 16M U.S. homes now get TV over-the-air, a 48% increase over past 8 years

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/15/nielsen-16m-u-s-homes-now-get-tv-over-the-air-a-48-increase-over-past-8-years/

The number of U.S. households without a traditional cable or satellite TV subscription that instead receive broadcast stations using a digital antenna has jumped by nearly 50 percent over the past 8 years to reach 16 million homes, according to a new report from Nielsen. Today, 14 percent of all U.S. TV households are watching television over the air, it found. The measurement firm says there are basically two camps among this group of cord cutters.

One, which tends to consist of older viewers with a median age of 55, exclusively watches TV via their antenna – they don’t subscribe to any streaming service. This group, totalling 6.6 million homes, tends to be more diverse and have a smaller median income – which makes sense. For them, cord cutting may be more of a cost-saving tool, rather than a way to combine free content with other paid services to create a personalized TV experience.

The other group, totalling 9.4 million homes, has at least one subscription video service, like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime Video, for example. They tend to be younger, with a median age of 36 – as well as more affluent, and more device-connected, says Nielsen. Because they’re spending more time on devices doing other things – perhaps gaming or using social networks – they consume less traditional media. That impacts the time spent watching TV.

The group of cord cutters watching over-the-air TV who don’t have access to a subscription video service watches over 6 hours per day. That’s 2 hours more than those with a subscription service, the study found. The group using subscription services are more active on social media, too, likely as a result of their age and their numerous devices. They spend an hour per day, on average, using social media – 17 minutes more than the group without subscription video.

But both groups tend to watch the majority of “TV” content on their television. Despite the increased use of devices like smartphones and tablets, it seems that TV viewing continues to largely take place on the big screen. Also of note, there’s a small but growing subgroup among the cord cutters who have subscription services who additionally have access to a virtual provider. These are the streaming services offering live TV – like YouTube TV, Hulu with Live TV, PlayStation Vue, or Sling TV. This group has grown to over 1.3 million homes as May 2018, Nielsen claims. (Keep in mind Nielsen’s numbers are counting TV households in the U.S., not individual user accounts to these services.)

snip

Reply to this post

Response to Celerity (Reply #18)

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 09:09 AM

20. What eventually happened with the switch from analog to digital broadcasts

was that local stations were actually able to create multiple "sub-channels" of programming that could operate within their assigned frequencies. So for example here in Philly, our channel "3" became channel 3.1 (regular CBS programming), 3.2 ("Start TV" which shows reruns of crime drama series), & 3.3 ("DABL", which has a DIY-style programming), etc., - each with its own unique programming.

It's amazing just how much is out there on all those OTA sub-channels. And it's funny because I remember laughing way back when cable providers were talking about creating and testing plans with "600 channels" for certain markets and I had a hard time trying to figure out what the heck would be on all these channels. (of course now I know )

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 27, 2019, 06:50 AM

17. PBS would likely carry them on broadcast TV

So would CSPAN on cable. Since PBS is a standard station on even basic, basic cable as well as to people using antennas, almost everyone would be able to see them. CSPAN is a standard channel on every cable network, but not DISH/DirectTV.

I'd bet any hearings would also be broadcast on public radio/NPR.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread