HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Mieke Eoyang breaks down ...

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 11:41 AM

Mieke Eoyang breaks down why the GOP breach of the SCIF is a national security outrage

?s=20
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1187032800572125191.html

A few words on why Gaetz stunt to storm the SCIF to disrupt Laura Cooper's deposition is a VERY serious national security problem.

Note, I worked in that SCIF for HPSCI and handled cybersecurity issues while there.

Aside from disrupting the testimony of a DoD official shedding light on the President's attempts to extort a sham investigation into the child of his most feared political rival by withholding military aid that Congress gave to resist a Russian invasion...

Storming the SCIF without respecting the security protocols that require people to leave their electronic devices *outside* the space, is actually compromising our national security.

First, the SCIF itself is a secure facility designed to prevent electronic eavesdropping so members of Congress can receive highly classified information about how the nation collects information on its adversaries, and on *very* sensitive intelligence operations.

Foreign adversaries are constantly trying to figure out what goes on inside those rooms to figure out what the US knows about them, to out US high-level sources in their governments, to know what the US government knows and use it against us.

The facilities are carefully designed and controlled to ensure that electronic signals, surveillance methods, or other listening devices do not compromise the information discussed in these rooms. I will not, for obvious reasons, go into details.

Bringing electronic devices into a SCIF, and this SCIF in particular is *very* problematic, especially when done by members of Congress.

Because Members of Congress (and their electronic devices) are high-value targets for compromise by foreign intelligence services.

Members of Congress have access to a wide range of sensitive information, including, in the case of these members, conversations with the President of the United States. They travel internationally, receive emails from the public, and meet with foreign dignitaries. As politicians, they're also highly sensitive to revelations of derogatory information, which means that foreign adversaries are very interested in collecting same.

They also tend to be lax in their security protocols. This means they may not know they have been compromised. For example, their phones can be turned into listening devices without their knowledge.

Are you looking for a way to remotely turn on someoneís cell phone microphone to listen to their conversations or to listen to their surroundings to find out what they are doing? The world has becomeÖ
https://www.ttspy.com/how-to-turn-on-someones-cell-phone-microphone-remotely.html

This is why outside HPSCI there is a security guard and a series of cabinets for people to leave (and lock) their electronic devices while they are inside the room.

Failure to follow this protocol can violate the security of the entire SCIF.

After an incident like this happens, countermeasures have to be taken to ensure the SCIF is not compromised. It is a time-consuming, technical process, which again, I will not discuss.

But in "storming the SCIF" without observing the security protocols, Rep. Gaetz et al, endangered our national security & demonstrated they care more about a political stunt than protecting intelligence information.

I cannot emphasize enough how serious this is.

To ensure that the information was secure, the members should give over their electronic devices for scanning to ensure no malware was on them, and that they have not compromised the SCIF.

If they don't want to give them up, they should have checked them before entering.

So, to recap:

To disrupt testimony from a DOD official on how the President endangered national security for both the US and Ukraine by withholding military aid, the President's allies further endangered national security by storming the SCIF with their electronic devices.

39 replies, 5116 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 39 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mieke Eoyang breaks down why the GOP breach of the SCIF is a national security outrage (Original post)
StarfishSaver Oct 23 OP
madaboutharry Oct 23 #1
Scarsdale Oct 23 #32
fleur-de-lisa Oct 23 #2
tblue37 Oct 23 #3
smirkymonkey Oct 23 #4
malaise Oct 23 #6
maxsolomon Oct 23 #10
DENVERPOPS Oct 23 #33
LAS14 Oct 23 #5
StarfishSaver Oct 23 #8
flibbitygiblets Oct 23 #16
StarfishSaver Oct 23 #18
dchill Oct 23 #7
drray23 Oct 23 #9
StarfishSaver Oct 23 #19
Hekate Oct 23 #35
Kittycow Oct 23 #11
apnu Oct 23 #13
StarfishSaver Oct 23 #14
Kittycow Oct 23 #36
apnu Oct 23 #12
Baitball Blogger Oct 23 #15
mopinko Oct 23 #21
BadgerMom Oct 23 #17
struggle4progress Oct 23 #20
CottonBear Oct 23 #22
StarfishSaver Oct 23 #26
CottonBear Oct 23 #28
StarfishSaver Oct 23 #30
CottonBear Oct 23 #31
AllaN01Bear Oct 23 #23
StarfishSaver Oct 23 #25
AllaN01Bear Oct 23 #27
certainot Oct 23 #24
AllaN01Bear Oct 23 #29
central scrutinizer Oct 23 #34
StarfishSaver Oct 23 #37
calimary Oct 24 #38
Hermit-The-Prog Oct 24 #39

Response to StarfishSaver (Original post)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 11:43 AM

1. The moment I heard about this, I knew Gaetz was involved.

He needs to be censured.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to madaboutharry (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 02:41 PM

32. He even LOOKS stupid.

Between him, Gym Jordan and Screwy Louie Gohmert they make the 3 Stooges seem intelligent. Goetz needs to have a sobriety test daily.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 11:45 AM

3. K&R for visibility. nt

Reply to this post

4. K&R

This bullshit has got to stop and people like Gaetz need to start doing some jail time. They need to learn that there will be consequences for their actions.

Reply to this post

Response to smirkymonkey (Reply #4)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 11:48 AM

6. I'm looking for video and pics of ReTHUGs having

protesting handicapped citizens arrested outside of their offices.
The truth is that ReTHUGs are yet to come to terms with the fact that they are now the minority. These fuckers hate both democracy and the Constitution

Reply to this post

Response to smirkymonkey (Reply #4)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 12:11 PM

10. they will never do jail time for this.

i'd be shocked if they're even censured.

IOKIYAR.

Reply to this post

Response to maxsolomon (Reply #10)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 03:33 PM

33. And this

It is being reported that they have been planning it for a week. good thing they didn't do it yesterday.

The room is now "contaminated" and should be thoroughly searched for "bugs" "transmitters" etc etc etc. before resuming the hearing.
They have already re started the depositions without having "swept" the room for any electronic eavesdropping items left by the 30+

I wouldn't put anything past them. The Dems and Repubs in the hearings can't tell the outside world what is happening until after the deposition is adjourned, so I could see a bug getting planted so that the Repubs on the outside could start preparing their lies and launching them even before the Dems on the outside could even learn from those inside what happened......

A despicable pile of bacterial excrement. I would also like to see a list of those republicans names that crashed the hearing......

Reply to this post

5. Can't he be arrested? nt

Reply to this post

Response to LAS14 (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 12:01 PM

8. I'm not sure if that's possible.

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #8)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 12:34 PM

16. Can they be expelled via 2/3 vote by those present?

Thought I read that recently.

Reply to this post

Response to flibbitygiblets (Reply #16)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 12:37 PM

18. Yes. Expulsion requires 2/3 of all Members

That's not going to happen.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 11:51 AM

7. K&R.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 12:06 PM

9. Dems should call the Capitol police and frog March out those

That are not allowed to be in there. You can be sure that's what the Republicans would do if the situation was reversed.

Reply to this post

Response to drray23 (Reply #9)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 12:38 PM

19. That's what the Republicans want

Pelosi and the Democrats aren't going to throw them in the briar patch.

Especially since it won't have any effect on eventual impeachment. Just a distraction and a sideshow. That's all the Republicans have left at this point.

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #19)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 04:39 PM

35. Good point

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 12:15 PM

11. Welp, with this delay...

they're really not going to have the impeachment process all done and wrapped up with a tidy bow by the end of the year, are they? /s

Reply to this post

Response to Kittycow (Reply #11)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 12:22 PM

13. Nope.

Its as if they want this to be an election issue in 2020. Are they confident or deluded about voter's acceptance of all this corruption?

Reply to this post

Response to Kittycow (Reply #11)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 12:32 PM

14. They probably weren't going to have it "tied up with a tidy bow by the end of the year" anyway

And this delay is a minor blip that's not going to have much effect on the timeline. It only serves to remind the public how damaging the information they're compiling is.

We have to stop looking at everything from a minute-by-minute perspective as if we're watching the play-by-play of a sports match. Keep your focus on the big picture.

We're getting where we need to go.

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #14)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 06:19 PM

36. Oh, I guess the article I read was Hair on Fire type.

I got the impression from it there would be a big fat delay for security reasons.

I know Nancy ain't rushing through this. Just Moscow Mitch's wish list for Christmas.

I pretty much just scan the headlines for the last six months or so. With the Obamas I watched politics intensely but I can't stand to do that anymore.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 12:20 PM

12. As far as I'm concerned, every single Repub that took Russian or NRA money is suspect

Suspected as a possible foreign agent. They're so ignorant they may not even be aware they acting as an agent for our nation's enemies.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 12:33 PM

15. Like Republican operatives stormed the 2000 Miami elections office.

They're thugs and goons.

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #15)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 12:41 PM

21. they have exactly one playbook.

and the good old days of blocking the media are dead and gone.
forewarned is forearmed.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 12:35 PM

17. K&R

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 12:39 PM

20. They should be reminded on the rules governing the secure location, together with the standards

of behavior expected for House members, and these matters should be referred to the Ethics Committee for its recommendation

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 01:44 PM

22. What's a SCIF? I've been offline since 8am. N/T

Reply to this post

Response to CottonBear (Reply #22)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 02:07 PM

26. Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility

A SCIF is a Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility where classified and sensitive information is stored and communicated.

Pacific Patriot provides an excellent, detailed explanation here: https://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=12613538

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #26)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 02:11 PM

28. Thank you!

I donít have a desk job and I havenít taken lunch today. I checked the news on my phone at my afternoon break and holy cow! A lot can happen in a few hours!

Reply to this post

Response to CottonBear (Reply #28)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 02:12 PM

30. See what happens when you turn your back?!

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #30)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 02:14 PM

31. I know, I know!

Iím a news junkie, but I have had a super busy day, so DU time was not possible!

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 01:49 PM

23. what is scif and HPSCI ?. thanks in advance .

Reply to this post

Response to AllaN01Bear (Reply #23)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 02:06 PM

25. Sorry

A SCIF is a Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility where classified and sensitive information is stored and communicated.

Pacific Patriot provides an excellent explanation here: https://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=12613538

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #25)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 02:08 PM

27. thanks for your info

from what my poor brain understands , this is a high security clearance area . i hope that those people get arrested . if i went in there without an invite im sure id most likely dissaper.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 01:49 PM

24. anyone anywhere can punish republican reps by identifying the rw radio stations they depend on and

boycotting the crap out of them. most of those stations can't handle losing advertisers. and with artificial intelligence to transcribe broadcasts it's really easy and cheap now to list those advertisers.

republicans will freak out.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 02:11 PM

29. now armed with understanding that what was invaded , i can now properly vent,

if that group was democratic i think that the dems would be arrested . taken out back and shot.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 03:58 PM

34. Ambassador Taylor's opening statement

Was photographed by an iPhone. Wasnít he in the SCIF? Iím confused

Reply to this post

Response to central scrutinizer (Reply #34)

Wed Oct 23, 2019, 07:11 PM

37. The document was photographed, not him.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 24, 2019, 09:03 AM

38. Definitely bookmarking.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 24, 2019, 02:11 PM

39. "they care more about a political stunt than protecting intelligence information"

That's the RAT (Republicans Asskissing Trump) squad in a nutshell.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread