HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » LeBron James: Daryl Morey...

Mon Oct 14, 2019, 10:53 PM

LeBron James: Daryl Morey was 'misinformed' before sending tweet about China and Hong Kong

LOS ANGELES -- LeBron James believes Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey "wasn't educated" before he sent the tweet in support of antigovernment protesters in Hong Kong that damaged relations between China and the NBA. Speaking to the media for the first time since Morey's tweet on Oct. 4 set off a firestorm, James declined to comment about the politically tense situation between China and the NBA but did talk about Morey's tweet and how it has jeopardized the relationship between China and the league, owners, teams and players.

"I don't want to get into a [verbal] feud with Daryl Morey, but I believe he wasn't educated on the situation at hand, and he spoke," James said before the Los Angeles Lakers played the Golden State Warriors in a preseason game at Staples Center. "And so many people could have been harmed not only financially, physically, emotionally, spiritually. So just be careful what we tweet and say and we do, even though, yes, we do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that, too."

When asked why he thinks Morey wasn't properly informed about the unrest in Hong Kong before he tweeted support for protesters, James said it is "just my belief."

"I believe he was either misinformed or not really educated on the situation, and if he was, then so be it," James said. "I have no idea, but that is just my belief. Because when you say things or do things, if you are doing it and you know the people that can be affected by it and the families and individuals and everyone that can be affected by it, sometimes things can be changed as well. And also social media is not always the proper way to go about things as well, but that's just my belief."

5 replies, 829 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply LeBron James: Daryl Morey was 'misinformed' before sending tweet about China and Hong Kong (Original post)
killaphill Oct 2019 OP
Sneederbunk Oct 2019 #1
JonLP24 Oct 2019 #4
ChubbyStar Oct 2019 #5
gratuitous Oct 2019 #2
JonLP24 Oct 2019 #3

Response to killaphill (Original post)

Mon Oct 14, 2019, 11:22 PM

1. Throwing Morey under LeBron's Chinese financial bus.

Forget human rights. We are talking money here.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sneederbunk (Reply #1)

Mon Oct 14, 2019, 11:50 PM

4. I think this is more the NBA than Lebron

Reply to this post

Response to JonLP24 (Reply #4)

Tue Oct 15, 2019, 12:00 AM

5. I agree, regardless

This is absolute cowardly pandering on the part of the NBA. LeBron, speaking like a fool, protecting his already HUGE bank account, is a tool. Smith on the other hand is just fucking pathetic.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 14, 2019, 11:43 PM

2. "Social media is not always the proper way to go about things"

Well, not everyone can con ESPN into giving them an hour of prime time real estate to announce which free agent offer he's going to take.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 14, 2019, 11:49 PM

3. John Oliver exposed NBA's business relationship with China

They kicked out a fan in Philadelphia for holding a sign in support of Hong Kong protests. Morey even apologized likely because of NBA pressure.

Just when you think NBA is an overall better league they do something like this.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread