HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Guardian: "At War Wit...

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 12:01 PM

The Guardian: "At War With the Rule of Law"

President Trump is at war with the rule of law. This won't end well

So at the top there’s corruption. But down below there’s dismantling and disarray. The Trump administration’s has a habit of firing or sidelining federal employees whose work is politically inconvenient. In 2017, Joel Clement, formerly head of policy analysis at the interior department, wrote about being taken away from his work on the impact of climate change on Native Alaskans and reassigned to “an unrelated job in the accounting office that collects royalty checks from fossil fuel companies.” There are numerous stories like his, of employees doing valuable work told to move across the country to keep their jobs, a maneuver that at best burdens them or renders them ineffectual, but often drives them out of their positions. The country is hemmorhaging people who provide oversight and keep key systems working.

The Federal Election Commission normally has six members and needs four to have a quorum; it is currently at three with no sign of a new appointment in sight. “Without the quorum,” the New York Times reports, “the FEC can’t investigate complaints, issue opinions, or fine violators.” I didn’t formerly think of myself as a big fan of rule of law, since those laws have always been applied harshly to the most vulnerable and most marginalized and were often written to embed racism, misogyny, and homophobia into law. But we now face something worse: the corruption and decay of rule of law in the service of billionaires and misogynistic white supremacists, a system in which the most powerful gain power and shed accountability. (emph. added)

We are entering a period of immense danger in which this self-serving president’s stupidity and ruthlessness could lead to almost anything—and I wrote that sentence before the feckless decision about Syria and Turkey. Congress will have to stand strong against whatever he unleashes. The fact that we may also have to rely on a supreme court with two appointments made by this illegitimate president is also alarming.

But we must not lose hope. In addition to the three branches of government, there is an unofficial fourth – civil society – which must exert itself. The will of the people is both what is at stake when a government becomes unaccountable and the force that can protect our embattled public interest. Passivity and disengagement got us here; political engagement will get us out.

If a Democratic President were doing the things [Redacted] is doing, I would oppose them with the same vigor.

Our Republic is at stake.

adamantly,
Bright

1 replies, 344 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Guardian: "At War With the Rule of Law" (Original post)
TygrBright Oct 9 OP
CrispyQ Oct 9 #1

Response to TygrBright (Original post)

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 12:08 PM

1. Kick, kick, kick!

I still have friends who think it can't happen here.

Read it all.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread