HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Gay rights: Supreme Court...

Tue Oct 8, 2019, 08:08 PM

Gay rights: Supreme Court divided in LGBT job discrimination case

WASHINGTON The Supreme Court appeared deeply divided Tuesday on a major civil rights question: whether gay and transgender people are covered by a federal law barring employment discrimination on the basis of sex.

The court's rulings in three cases, which are not expected until next year, seemed to hinge on President Donald Trump's two nominees. Associate Justice Neil Gorsuch called the dispute over transgender rights "close" but more likely an issue for Congress to address. Associate Justice Brett Kavanaugh was mostly silent, leaving his position in doubt.

By contrast, the court's four liberal justices forcefully denounced the firings of two gay men and a transgender woman from Georgia, New York and Michigan and made clear they believe all three should be protected by the statutory ban on sex discrimination.

"We can't deny that homosexuals are being fired merely for being who they are and not because of religious reasons, not because they are performing their jobs poorly," Associate Justice Sonia Sotomayor said, calling it "invidious behavior."

The three cases are among the most significant on the high court's 2019 docket, and the justices' rulings are likely to come in the heat of the 2020 presidential campaign.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gay-rights-supreme-court-divided-in-lgbt-job-discrimination-case/ar-AAItgUH

12 replies, 679 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Tue Oct 8, 2019, 08:41 PM

1. Oh for heaven's sake. In this day and age. GD Trump's toadies.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to emmaverybo (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 8, 2019, 08:46 PM

2. You are aware that it has never been established that LGBT people are protected

from discrimination?

I find it surprising that so many people believe we are (or at least since Obergefell are). All that has been established, on the Federal level, is that we can marry. But - in many states we can still be fired for exercising that right.

Reply to this post

Response to Ms. Toad (Reply #2)

Tue Oct 8, 2019, 08:58 PM

4. I knew it had not been decided at Fed level, but I admit I thought states...never mind. This

case wakes us up.

Reply to this post

Response to emmaverybo (Reply #4)

Tue Oct 8, 2019, 10:22 PM

5. Only 22 states have such laws

and some of the larger ones which don't include Texas (2) Florida (3) Georgia (8) NC (9) VA (11) MI (10) and OH (7)

Reply to this post

Response to dsc (Reply #5)

Tue Oct 8, 2019, 10:48 PM

7. Thank you for the info. Disheartening, but I need to be educated. I am so my own liberal state-

centric, not having lived out of it ever. Must be, of all things, no job discrimination under the law.

Those states you named, so many lives that can be ruined in them.

Reply to this post

Response to Ms. Toad (Reply #2)

Tue Oct 8, 2019, 10:46 PM

6. the 14th amendment should be sufficient, but we're dealing with unreasoning hate

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 8, 2019, 08:51 PM

3. This is why I will never ever get over 3rd party voters

Republicans are disgusting bigots, but the non-Republican ones who claim to support human rights and then turned away from the Democratic candidate? Despite the Supreme Court being in play? Ill never forgive that shit

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 8, 2019, 11:02 PM

8. We need sexual orientation and gender identity added to the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #8)

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 12:14 AM

9. Tis true, but it isn't just RW'ers opposed to the addition to that Act.

There are more than a few on our side of the fence who do not support the inclusion of sexual orientation and gender identity to the Civil Rights Act.

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #9)

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 01:53 PM

10. I.. I can't imagine why. That seems.. fundamental to me. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #10)

Wed Oct 9, 2019, 01:58 PM

11. Religious nonsense infects our side, as well.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread