HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » NEW: The son of a dead De...

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 08:33 AM

NEW: The son of a dead Deutsche Bank executive -- armed with hundreds of confidential bank files

NEW: The son of a dead @DeutscheBank
executive — armed with hundreds of confidential bank files — has been secretly helping the FBI and the House Intelligence Committee investigate the bank and @realDonaldTrump

Me and My Whistle-Blower

Deutsche Bank. North Korea. The Intelligence Committee’s investigation of the president. Again and again, one man has taken his trove of secret documents — and uncanny nose for scandal — to the center of the news.

... snip to last 4 paragraphs

Mr. Broeksmit moved to Los Angeles to drum up Hollywood interest in his life story. Early this year, a producer invited him to a dinner party. Among the guests was Moby, the electronic music legend, who told me he was impressed by Mr. Broeksmit’s exploits and existential sadness. Moby arranged an introduction to his friend Adam Schiff, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, which had recently opened an investigation into Deutsche Bank’s relationship with Mr. Trump.

Mr. Schiff’s investigators badly wanted the secret Deutsche files. Mr. Broeksmit tried to extract money from them — he pushed to be hired as a consultant to the committee — but that was a nonstarter. An investigator, Daniel Goldman, appealed to his sense of patriotism and pride. “Imagine a scenario where some of the material that you have can actually provide the seed that we can then use to blow open everything that [Trump] has been hiding,” Mr. Goldman told Mr. Broeksmit in a recorded phone call. “In some respects, you — and your father vicariously through you — will go down in American history as a hero and as the person who really broke open an incredibly corrupt president and administration.” (Mr. Broeksmit wouldn’t budge; eventually, Mr. Schiff subpoenaed him.)

It was around this time that Mr. Broeksmit had his meeting at the F.B.I.’s Los Angeles field office. Someone at the bureau had finally noticed his submission to the Justice Department’s website. After the three-hour session, Mr. Broeksmit still needed some stroking, and the F.B.I. agents obliged. They told Mr. Broeksmit he could have a special advisory title. They promised to keep him in the loop as their investigation proceeded. They let him tell the world — via this article — that he was a cooperating witness in a federal criminal investigation. They even helped procure a visa for his French girlfriend.

I had to tip my hat to Mr. Broeksmit. The man whom everyone had discounted and demeaned had managed to get his information into the hands of the Federal Reserve, Congress and the F.B.I. Even if the documents ultimately prove underwhelming to these powerful investigators, Mr. Broeksmit had accomplished one of his life’s goals: He mattered.

David Enrich is the finance editor. He is the author of “Dark Towers,” about Deutsche Bank and Donald Trump.

56 replies, 11661 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 56 replies Author Time Post
Reply NEW: The son of a dead Deutsche Bank executive -- armed with hundreds of confidential bank files (Original post)
MelissaB Oct 1 OP
dlk Oct 1 #1
Haggis for Breakfast Oct 1 #53
MelissaB Oct 1 #2
True Blue American Oct 1 #18
Roland99 Oct 1 #20
deurbano Oct 1 #31
FakeNoose Oct 1 #32
Roland99 Oct 1 #41
SergeStorms Oct 1 #51
Cha Oct 2 #54
MontanaMama Oct 1 #3
live love laugh Oct 1 #46
SWBTATTReg Oct 1 #4
Leghorn21 Oct 1 #5
pwb Oct 1 #6
smirkymonkey Oct 1 #7
blaze Oct 1 #8
bucolic_frolic Oct 1 #9
Maraya1969 Oct 1 #10
irisblue Oct 1 #11
onetexan Oct 1 #12
pandr32 Oct 1 #23
onetexan Oct 1 #25
pandr32 Oct 1 #37
onetexan Oct 1 #40
flibbitygiblets Oct 1 #44
triron Oct 1 #13
Hekate Oct 1 #42
Duppers Oct 1 #14
lagomorph777 Oct 1 #27
Duppers Oct 1 #33
not_the_one Oct 1 #43
Ligyron Oct 1 #48
Duppers Oct 1 #49
rickyhall Oct 1 #15
dlk Oct 1 #16
True Blue American Oct 1 #17
onetexan Oct 1 #26
lagomorph777 Oct 1 #28
onetexan Oct 1 #29
nolabear Oct 1 #19
ancianita Oct 1 #21
ancianita Oct 1 #22
FakeNoose Oct 1 #24
Newest Reality Oct 1 #30
not fooled Oct 1 #34
Cartoonist Oct 1 #35
MarcA Oct 1 #36
octoberlib Oct 1 #38
octoberlib Oct 1 #39
Baked Potato Oct 1 #45
Roland99 Oct 1 #47
Duppers Oct 1 #50
Liberty Belle Oct 1 #52
NCLefty Oct 2 #55
Lock him up. Oct 3 #56

Response to MelissaB (Original post)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 08:35 AM

1. The plot thickens...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dlk (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 09:03 PM

53. OH SNAP !!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 08:36 AM

2. Last 4 paragraphs:

Mr. Broeksmit moved to Los Angeles to drum up Hollywood interest in his life story. Early this year, a producer invited him to a dinner party. Among the guests was Moby, the electronic music legend, who told me he was impressed by Mr. Broeksmit’s exploits and existential sadness. Moby arranged an introduction to his friend Adam Schiff, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, which had recently opened an investigation into Deutsche Bank’s relationship with Mr. Trump.

Mr. Schiff’s investigators badly wanted the secret Deutsche files. Mr. Broeksmit tried to extract money from them — he pushed to be hired as a consultant to the committee — but that was a nonstarter. An investigator, Daniel Goldman, appealed to his sense of patriotism and pride. “Imagine a scenario where some of the material that you have can actually provide the seed that we can then use to blow open everything that [Trump] has been hiding,” Mr. Goldman told Mr. Broeksmit in a recorded phone call. “In some respects, you — and your father vicariously through you — will go down in American history as a hero and as the person who really broke open an incredibly corrupt president and administration.” (Mr. Broeksmit wouldn’t budge; eventually, Mr. Schiff subpoenaed him.)

It was around this time that Mr. Broeksmit had his meeting at the F.B.I.’s Los Angeles field office. Someone at the bureau had finally noticed his submission to the Justice Department’s website. After the three-hour session, Mr. Broeksmit still needed some stroking, and the F.B.I. agents obliged. They told Mr. Broeksmit he could have a special advisory title. They promised to keep him in the loop as their investigation proceeded. They let him tell the world — via this article — that he was a cooperating witness in a federal criminal investigation. They even helped procure a visa for his French girlfriend.

I had to tip my hat to Mr. Broeksmit. The man whom everyone had discounted and demeaned had managed to get his information into the hands of the Federal Reserve, Congress and the F.B.I. Even if the documents ultimately prove underwhelming to these powerful investigators, Mr. Broeksmit had accomplished one of his life’s goals: He mattered.

David Enrich is the finance editor. He is the author of “Dark Towers,” about Deutsche Bank and Donald Trump.

Reply to this post

Response to MelissaB (Reply #2)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 10:05 AM

18. Great info! Thanks!:)

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 10:20 AM

20. So it was a random, chance meeting that brought him to Schiff via... Moby??

wow

Reply to this post

Response to Roland99 (Reply #20)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:22 AM

31. I know! (Did not see that coming...)

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:27 AM

32. Well not exactly

David Enrich the reporter who wrote this article (did you read it?) explains that he had met and communicated with Val Broeksmit ever since his father died in 2014. Enrich is even writing a book that is partially based on the private DeutscheBank docs & emails that Broeksmit's father kept under secret password. The trail of this Whistleblower goes back to BEFORE Chump was even elected.

If Chump hadn't been elected when and how he did, then this probably would have stayed under the radar.

Reply to this post

Response to FakeNoose (Reply #32)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 12:15 PM

41. just what's posted here. Will read article later tonight

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 07:24 PM

51. I've seen him on a few interviews.....

and he seems like a very level-headed, patriotic (yes, really!) person. You could tell he wasn't enamored with Donald Trump and all of his bullshit.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 2, 2019, 01:38 AM

54. Mahalo for that, Melissa and the OP!

What a story.. This is encouraging!

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 08:39 AM

3. I hope we can still trust

whomever has them at the FBI.

Reply to this post

Response to MontanaMama (Reply #3)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 03:53 PM

46. Yeah that's what I'm thinking 🤔 nt

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 08:41 AM

4. Thank goodness for whistle blowers and the like, I suspect things would be a lot different if ...

they weren't any whistle blowers.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 08:43 AM

5. Well oh my goodness and

!!!WOW!!!

Thanks for posting, MelissaB!!

Photo!:

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 08:55 AM

6. Good. One more thing.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 08:56 AM

7. K&R

Kick for visibility!

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 08:57 AM

8. K&R!!! nt

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 08:57 AM

9. Americans, give thanks the FBI is still functioning

as far as we know. Trump and Barr haven't kneecapped it yet.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 08:59 AM

10. Didn't the Seinfield epiode end with them all going to prison for not reporting a crime they

witnesses? I don't know if that is not really a law or not.

Nevertheless I'm glad this man held onto these files and got what he wanted. As long as he didn't hold onto them too long.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 09:00 AM

11. David Enrich is 90% of the reason I have not yet canceled my subscription to the NYT

it has been close several days though

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 09:03 AM

12. i haven't had my second cup of coffee yet, and the deluge of news on UkraineGate continues

i'd better drink to that

Reply to this post

Response to onetexan (Reply #12)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:04 AM

23. I'll have a cup with you

I just got up in Hawaii and Holy Sh*t!

It feels so good to have a little hope running through my veins along with the effects of morning caffeine.

Reply to this post

Response to pandr32 (Reply #23)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:08 AM

25. in deed. I am both elated and shell-shocked at the same time. The level of corruption seems deeply

entrenched and vast. Hopefully for the sake of our republic there will be more brave patriots coming forward as whistleblowers.

Reply to this post

Response to onetexan (Reply #25)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:43 AM

37. Most corrupt administration ever

I fear for those who want to come forward. It is as though they are facing the Mob as rats. We must offer them protection and assurances that the whole evil lot are going down.
We cannot blink.
Second cup of coffee--big cups!

Reply to this post

Response to pandr32 (Reply #37)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 12:11 PM

40. Second that - let's CLINK OUR BIG CUPS TO THE GOP's DEMISE!

Reply to this post

Response to onetexan (Reply #40)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 01:25 PM

44. ,,,

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 09:09 AM

13. Has MSNBC talked about this yet?

Reply to this post

Response to triron (Reply #13)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 12:26 PM

42. Tune in for Nicolle & see if it's on her radar yet. Yesterday she had to scrap her planned...

...show in its entirety to deal with fast breaking news, so this might have been one of the things.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 09:22 AM

14. By cracky, will this be enough to crack the case?

They have dirt, lots and lots of dirt. A bit here, a bit there will eventually reveal most crimes of this crime syndicate running our government.

As I posted earlier, I want them, especially tRump, to die in prison.

If this is a country of laws, no man above the law, then tell me why tRump should not do time?

I do not care if "it divides the country." It's already divided. And isn't that statement just code for "we don't want to upset right wingers"?

After the way they've lied? "Buffalo bagels" to quote Col. Potter.

Reply to this post

Response to Duppers (Reply #14)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:12 AM

27. Horse hockey - that's what I call claims that a sitting pres. can't be indicted.

It's explicitly there in the Constitution that they can be. ALL officials can be. With or without impeachment. Completely separate processes.

Reply to this post

Response to lagomorph777 (Reply #27)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:27 AM

33. Thank you!!

See post #23 in this thread:

Here it is below...
Please go over & give the guy some props: https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212529060#23

Here's HIS post:

"Some of the responses to this thread are disgusting.
Let's just go ahead and give the fuck up. Some here are already putting out there that, unfortunately, nothing is going to happen, while others are saying up front that it's not worth it.

This is EXACTLY what he wants to hear.

It will happen if we insist that it happens. The man has shit on the constitution and is actively working, successfully, with a foreign adversary to tear this country apart. And we tsk, tsk, saying the price is too high.

Afraid of a little violence? The cowards need to get out of the way. The tree of liberty will die just as soon from lack of watering, as someone taking an ax to it (which is exactly what HE is doing to it)...

Sorry, but the new America lite, with fascism masquerading as a democracy, is not an acceptable option.

Reply to this post

Response to Duppers (Reply #33)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 12:52 PM

43. thank you

Reply to this post

Response to Duppers (Reply #14)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 05:12 PM

48. Absolutely.

Democratic fears of "dividing" the country has contributed to a large extent in doing exactly that and is also one of the main reasons the average citizen, D or R, is in as much angst and trouble as they are overall; financially or otherwise.

Our magnanimous, democratic nature and innate sense of fairness has allowed many crimes by the R's to go unpunished, believing unilaterally that we simply must let the country heal and besides, surely R pols have learned their lesson and won't ever do that again.

Right?

Nope, we're well intentioned suckers as far as that goes. With a lack of consequences, R politicians, being encouraged, just keep right on committing crimes on behalf of their donor class and corporate masters while greedily lining their own pockets with loot that rightly belongs to the American people.

All of which only serves to paint us as "weak" among citizen R's and Independents and has discouraged Democrats to the point that more than a few just stopped keeping up with the news, caring about "politics" or even voting. Seemed like the news for the average Joe was always depressing or downright bad and really, there was nothing one could do about it anyway. The rich always won or got away with it. Plus, there was such banality as American Idol or Dancing w the Stars for girls and all kinds of manly, manly sports for the boys and that was a whole lot more fun.

But I'm not telling anyone here anything they don't already know.

I just hope our democratic leaders finally realize and internalize this irrefutable, eternal fact about the GOP this time and will finally start holding these criminals responsible from now on. Once we are back in power (and that is far from a given) they need to pursue criminal politicians and their enablers relentlessly,yea, to the very ends of this Earth, forgive nothing and punish the bastards to the fullest extent of the law.

Because historically, that is the only thing they ever understand and fear. The only thing that even has a chance of dampening the GOP's lust for money and power. We are finally off to a good start with the perfect opening that idiot Trump provided and we simply cannot let our Dem leadership just forgive and forget again this time or we, our children, grandchildren and possibly even life on this planet may well be doomed.

Reply to this post

Response to Ligyron (Reply #48)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 05:34 PM

49. Bravo!!

An earlier crude quip: No wonder they think we wear our pants under our armpits. They're authoritarian types who only respect authority and strength. And that's exactly what we need to throw back in their faces if we're to save our country.

Regarding your last statement, well, the bloody Rs and their fossil fuel fetish, that's made 'em rich, is causing our doom.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 09:28 AM

15. All said & done may have problem deciding where to lock him up.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 09:55 AM

16. A juicy story in The NY Times!

With its seemingly endless corruption, how does Deutsche Bank continue to operate?

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 10:04 AM

17. That is explosive! Shows Adam Schiff

Is way ahead of what we know!

No wonder Nancy named Schiff to lead the investigation!

Meanwhile Pompous Pompeo announced he is not going to stand for them bullying the State Department.

Schiff subpoenaed Rudy’s files, not him. Another smart move.

Reply to this post

Response to True Blue American (Reply #17)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:11 AM

26. heard about Pompeo's slowwalking on msnbc earlier. Shmuck is neck deep in this crap.

His head will roll, along with LowBarr, Moscow Mitch, along with the Dumpster and his criminal kids.

Reply to this post

Response to onetexan (Reply #26)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:13 AM

28. VP Mike Penis is in trouble too. Trump has already implicated him in the call summary.

Reply to this post

Response to lagomorph777 (Reply #28)

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:16 AM

29. oh my goddess, i hope so too. We will then have a President Pelosi :)

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 10:17 AM

19. I started to post this. Glad I looked first. Incredible!

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 10:44 AM

22. Schiff's district includes Hollywood who, best believe, will keep him in their care for life.

Thank you for posting this article.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:05 AM

24. I love this awesome story! More patriots will come forward soon

... and I believe they will be inspired by Val Broeksmit.

Thank you for having courage and doing the right thing!

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:18 AM

30. Excellent Information

Thank you for posting it here, MellisaB.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:28 AM

34. Hahahahahaha

Let's hope this time Moby gets Orange Ahab.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:31 AM

35. Thread pooper

Even if the documents ultimately prove underwhelming to these powerful investigators
-

I don't like that talk.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:36 AM

36. To find the dirt, follow the money.

Some places have more of each than do others.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:54 AM

38. This article makes up for all the Ken Vogel pieces and why I still subscribe to the NYT

Exceptional journalistic storytelling.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 11:57 AM

39. Picture of Schiff and the whistleblower

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 02:02 PM

45. I trust Adam Schiff, FBI mostly, DOJ not so much

Hopefully this disclosure fills in some holes.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 05:08 PM

47. Going to have to add Dark Towers to my library when it's out next year

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 05:37 PM

50. K & R

Excellent news.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 1, 2019, 08:03 PM

52. He can get a book deal and make money off that when this is over.

Glad to hear this and hope the evidence is damning.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 2, 2019, 01:56 AM

55. It's an interesting story. I'm sure they'll triple-check everything since he's so eccentric.

And Deutsche must have some bad shit on Trump. It seems impossible to think otherwise.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 3, 2019, 12:55 AM

56. Suddenly remembered Laurence O'Donell's scoop about one source...

telling him Russian oligarchs co-signed on the orange mobster's loans.

He couldn't find a second source but what if it was from Schiff himself?? (Off the Record)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread