HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 'I would tell Joe to wait...

Thu Sep 12, 2019, 09:58 AM

'I would tell Joe to wait': Democrats warn Kennedy against challenging Markey

Politico

Joe Kennedy doesn’t have to just beat incumbent Ed Markey to win a Senate seat. He’ll also have to trounce Chuck Schumer, Elizabeth Warren, Senate Democrats’ campaign arm — and maybe Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

The 38-year-old congressman and grandson of Robert F. Kennedy will confront a buzz saw of Washington Democrats if he takes the leap to challenge the Massachusetts senator, a move that would create a massive distraction for the party in a safe Democratic state amid a battle for both the White House and the Senate majority.

“That kind of intraparty fighting is not good in the long term. And I don’t think it will be good for Joe Kennedy,” Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.) warned. “I’m a survivor of the [Ted] Kennedy-[Jimmy] Carter fight. I know how long those sentiments last.”

With Kennedy flirting with the race and leading in early polls, Markey has moved quickly to shore up support from both the Washington establishment and prominent progressives. Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) has endorsed him, and Schumer said the party is “fully behind Sen. Ed Markey.” Kennedy called Schumer about the race, but the Senate minority leader didn’t divulge what was said.

4 replies, 322 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'I would tell Joe to wait': Democrats warn Kennedy against challenging Markey (Original post)
brooklynite Sep 12 OP
Indykatie Sep 12 #1
UTUSN Sep 12 #2
Thekaspervote Sep 12 #3
MagickMuffin Sep 12 #4

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Thu Sep 12, 2019, 10:38 AM

1. Kennedy No Doubt Could Win Against Markey - But Why Do It and At What Cost?

This smacks of nothing but opportunism given Markey's Liberal voting record as a Senator.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Sep 12, 2019, 11:39 AM

2. Yip, MARKEY who came up from nothing & is a good Dem shouldn't be shunted just for a KENNEDY.

Reply to this post

Response to UTUSN (Reply #2)

Thu Sep 12, 2019, 11:59 AM

3. This!! He's young, his time in the senate is coming without challenging Markey

Reply to this post

Thu Sep 12, 2019, 12:14 PM

4. I stand with ED

Can't vote for him, but I think he needs to stay put.

Don't rock the boat Joe!!!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread