HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » What happened when Trump ...

Sat Aug 31, 2019, 10:42 PM

What happened when Trump visited the African American History Museum

Washington Post

In his upcoming memoir, newly appointed Smithsonian Secretary Lonnie G. Bunch III describes the private tour he gave President Trump of the National Museum of African American History and Culture, recalling that Trump’s reaction to the Dutch role in the global slave trade was, “You know, they love me in the Netherlands.”

...snip...

Before the president-elect arrived, his aides told Bunch that Trump “was in a foul mood and that he did not want to see anything ‘difficult,’ ” Bunch writes. Nevertheless, Bunch started the tour in the history galleries, which begin with the global slave trade.

“It was not my job to make the rough edges of history smooth, even for the president,” he writes.

Trump greeted him warmly and expressed his wife’s enjoyment of a tour she had with Sara Netanyahu, wife of the Israeli prime minister, according to Bunch. Then they went into the galleries.

“The president paused in front of the exhibit that discussed the role of the Dutch in the slave trade,” Bunch writes. “As he pondered the label I felt that maybe he was paying attention to the work of the museum. He quickly proved me wrong. As he turned from the display he said to me, ‘You know, they love me in the Netherlands.’ All I could say was let’s continue walking.”

3 replies, 931 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply What happened when Trump visited the African American History Museum (Original post)
brooklynite Aug 2019 OP
3catwoman3 Aug 2019 #1
Wellstone ruled Aug 2019 #2
JHB Sep 2019 #3

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Sat Aug 31, 2019, 10:49 PM

1. Why am I not surprised?

Besides which, he is wrong, as usual.

Is there a more self-centered person on the planet? In the universe?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Aug 31, 2019, 11:51 PM

2. Keep your winning streak going Dipstick.

Keep it going. ME me me me me.

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 1, 2019, 12:27 AM

3. In other words, he acted the way that Donald Trump acts.

Memememememememememeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread