HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Secretive U.S. Air Force ...

Wed Aug 28, 2019, 02:22 PM

Secretive U.S. Air Force Spaceplane Breaks Record With 719 Straight Days in Orbit

The U.S. Air Forceís Boeing X-37B spaceplane broke a record yesterday for the most amount of time in orbit around the Earth. But we still donít know when the uncrewed plane is going to land or even what itís doing up there. All of the details about the X-37B mission are classified.

As of 6:43am ET today, the X-37B spaceplaneís fifth mission, dubbed the Orbital Test Vehicle (OTV-5), will have spent 719 days in orbitójust 11 days shy of a full two years circling the globe. The previous record was 717 days, 20 hours and 42 minutes, achieved just a few years earlier with OTV-4.

All we know about the 29-foot long spaceplaneís mission comes from the Air Force description, which is light on details, to say the least:

The X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle, or OTV, is an experimental test program to demonstrate technologies for a reliable, reusable, unmanned space test platform for the U.S. Air Force. The primary objectives of the X-37B are twofold; reusable spacecraft technologies for Americaís future in space and operating experiments which can be returned to, and examined, on Earth.

https://gizmodo.com/secret-u-s-air-force-spaceplane-breaks-record-with-719-1837605822

It'll be part of Trumpy's new space force.

3 replies, 436 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Secretive U.S. Air Force Spaceplane Breaks Record With 719 Straight Days in Orbit (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Aug 28 OP
Backseat Driver Aug 28 #1
Eugene Aug 28 #2
Tribalceltic Aug 28 #3

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Wed Aug 28, 2019, 02:35 PM

1. Interesting...

BTW - Did the Russian supply with the on-board robot successfully dock with the International Space Station?? I think I remember reading something about it trying the protocol for docking again yesterday.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Backseat Driver (Reply #1)

Wed Aug 28, 2019, 03:30 PM

2. They succeeded on the second try.

Reply to this post

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Wed Aug 28, 2019, 04:41 PM

3. and here I always thought..

the X-37B was a muffler bracket on a '79 Pinto.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread