HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Trump is talking more tha...

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 08:35 PM

Trump is talking more than ever about men's looks

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump told Fox News in June that it's "tough" to follow his instincts and withdraw all troops from Afghanistan when a "great-looking, central casting" military general urges him not to.

When Trump visited replacement border fencing in California in April, he waved local sheriffs up to the assembled cameras.

"That's central casting," he told reporters. "You can't cast -- you don't have anybody in Hollywood that looks like these guys."

Last week, Trump told Army Pfc. Glendon Oakley, who carried children away from danger during the mass shooting in El Paso, that he was a "hero." Then the commander in chief added something else.

"So you'll be a movie star, the way you look," Trump said.

Oakley, who has sought to deflect attention away from himself and toward the massacre victims, nodded without smiling.
Trump, a former beauty pageant owner, reality television star and product pitchman, has always been concerned with appearances.

But it's not your imagination: his public musings about how people look have become much more frequent since the first year of his presidency.

Trump referred to people as "good-looking" or "great-looking" four times in his first year, according to data from Bill Frischling of Factba.se, a website that comprehensively tracks the President's public words. In the year-and-a-half since then, he has done it 31 times.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/13/politics/central-casting-trump-is-talking-more-than-ever-about-mens-looks/index.html

14 replies, 1191 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Demovictory9 (Original post)

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 08:37 PM

1. If you were as ugly as Trump & had to see that reflection in the mirror, you would probably be

....obsessed and noticing anyone that looked good and then tried to make it seem like you are too.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 08:38 PM

2. ha ha. Trump is not going to like cnn for this piece. te he.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 08:39 PM

3. 'Appearances' the only thing he cares about.

Recall Melania's 'kidney issues?'

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #3)

Wed Aug 14, 2019, 12:47 AM

11. Exactly. Surface impression is everything to him, for everyone and everything. n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 08:45 PM

4. Fascists care a lot about looks

Reply to this post

Response to MaryMagdaline (Reply #4)

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 09:00 PM

7. ++My same thought reading this OP

Reply to this post

Response to MaryMagdaline (Reply #4)

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 09:04 PM

8. I wonder when he'll start wearing a uniform!

Reply to this post

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #8)

Wed Aug 14, 2019, 12:39 AM

10. He so wants to wear his SS uniform! You are right

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 08:49 PM

5. He is very jealous of other men's good looks.

It must be killing him to know he's getting old. Many older men are attractive, but his ugliness comes from within, and there's nothing he can do about it.

Reply to this post

Response to Croney (Reply #5)

Wed Aug 14, 2019, 12:52 AM

12. He seems insanely jealous of other good looking men. Especially younger good looking

men who are more accomplished than he is. I wonder if he realizes how absolutely hideous, old and fat he is.

It would not be such a big deal if he was a kind, decent person, but he is rotten from his core. His soul is diseased and it shows on his visage. His ugliness comes from the rot deep inside his being. I know other men his age who are kind and compassionate and they are handsome because their goodness radiates from within them. He is just ugly to the bone.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 08:55 PM

6. He's sliding deeper into his dotage.

In his befuddled mind people are good at what they do because they look like the TV characters of his boyhood.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 10:25 PM

9. Maybe he's dishing out compliments in hope of receiving some in return?

Not gonna happen though, you sweaty freak!

Reply to this post

Response to Talitha (Reply #9)

Wed Aug 14, 2019, 05:15 AM

13. I have a relative who does that.

We don't see each other often, but when we do, her first words to me are, "Hello, Skinny!" Then she waits expectantly. I've never let myself reply with the truth, which would be, "Hello, you fat slob!" I just say hello. She calls herself a major feminist. I'd love to ask her, "If you met President Obama, would your first words be, "Hello, Skinny?"

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 14, 2019, 05:57 AM

14. Looks define the person...

To Trump, appearance is everything. He wears his ties freakishly long in the mistaken belief that such somehow enhances him, and tans his pasty white skin to an orangish hue. Pretend to be vigorously healthy, even if you're obviously out-of-shape. Then if you lie often enough, those lies will become reality, at least to your followers...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread