HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 16-year-old climate activ...

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 04:31 PM

16-year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg says meeting with Trump would be a "waste"

CBS News

Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg will soon set sail on a solar-powered boat to attend a U.N. summit in New York. But when asked if she'd be open to meeting President Trump during her trip to America, Thunberg said it would be a "waste."

"Why should I waste time talking to him when he, of course, is not going to listen to me?" she said.

If she had to rate the United States' climate change efforts, Thunberg said America would rank "not very high." Thunberg wants all governments to cut emissions in line with the Paris climate accord, which President Trump has rejected. And currently, the U.S. emits more carbon than any country other than China.

Thunberg hopes to change that. The Swedish 16-year-old, described by some as the "voice of the planet," will be sailing from Europe to New York to call on world leaders to protect the environment. The journey could take two weeks but Thunberg said she doesn't fly because of the environmental impact of air travel.

But although she leads a global youth movement and has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, Thunberg said she doesn't like all the attention.

5 replies, 379 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply 16-year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg says meeting with Trump would be a "waste" (Original post)
brooklynite Tuesday OP
lpbk2713 Tuesday #1
RKP5637 Tuesday #2
in2herbs Tuesday #3
smirkymonkey Tuesday #4
lame54 Tuesday #5

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 04:41 PM

1. Wise beyond her years.

I wish you fair winds and following seas.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 04:54 PM

2. I wouldn't talk to tRump either, he is so far beneath her. He would not give a F about her and/or

anything she has to say. Besides, he's the stable genius, the smartest person in the entire universe! One can tell that by the way he hand-reads a teleprompter, like a preschooler with fingers on the text in a Dick and Jane book!

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 06:24 PM

3. I'm glad she's not going to meet with him, but still it would be interesting to hear her

take on the meeting.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 06:27 PM

4. Very smart young lady.

She would be wise to stay away from him for a number of reasons.

Reply to this post

Tue Aug 13, 2019, 06:31 PM

5. What harms the atmosphere more...

A stockyard full of cows

Or

One of Trump's speeches

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread