HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Guess who is in the close...

Mon Aug 12, 2019, 04:33 PM

Guess who is in the closet now (know your enemy)

This is a link to a right wing site. I take the position that to read the other side is to know fully what's going on, and no that does not mean taking their shtick at face value.

That said, I read them so you don't have to.

‘We are all in the closet’: Trump backers in the Hamptons keep allegiance under wraps
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/we-are-all-in-the-closet-trump-backers-in-the-hamptons-keep-allegiance-under-wraps-2019-08-12

While President Donald Trump attended big-money fundraisers for the Republican Party and his 2020 re-election campaign at mansions in Southampton and Bridgehampton on Friday, many of his East End supporters are eschewing the spotlight — especially after last week’s calls for boycotts of billionaire Stephen Ross’s fitness chains SoulCycle and Equinox because he hosted the president.

“We are all in the closet,” said a boutique owner in Southampton who fears reprisals from his customers — most of them moneyed Democrats — if he speaks openly about his allegiance to Trump. “It’s like you have this disease and people want to run away from you.”

A builder based in Westhampton worried that his customers would boycott his services if he reveals his support of the president. “People have really strong opinions here and if you go around wearing a MAGA hat, you really need to fear physical violence,” he said, adding the anti-Trump aggression comes mostly from summer residents.

Trump won 51.5% of the vote among year-round residents of Suffolk County in the 2016 election, compared with 44.6% for Democrat Hillary Clinton. In 2008 and 2012, most of the county voted for President Barack Obama.

Despite the recent shift, many of Trump’s core supporters fear speaking out, especially during the summer months, when beachfront villages from Westhampton to Montauk are filled with left-leaning visitors from New York City.

“They’re all Democrats, so for us it’s a matter of survival,” said an art consultant who works in Sag Harbor. “We live in the land of the First Amendment, but, if you want to stay in business out here, you have to keep your opinions to yourself. We are hitting a very dark and strange place as a country.”

9 replies, 1103 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Odoreida (Original post)

Mon Aug 12, 2019, 04:37 PM

1. When someone on the left talks badly about the pos occupying the white house they get death threats

They get their house blown up. Dont be afraid cowards stand tall for your beliefs.... snowflakes ... fuck YOUR feelings

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Aug 12, 2019, 04:38 PM

2. That's just so sad!

Suddenly all is dark and strange for these beautiful people who just want to live in wealth and comfort at the misery and expense of hundreds of millions of others. Is that so wrong? (Spoiler alert: Yes.)

Reply to this post

Response to gratuitous (Reply #2)

Mon Aug 12, 2019, 04:46 PM

4. To paraphrase from one of my favorite movies..

Don't I deserve kindness, and love,....and jewelry??

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 12, 2019, 04:44 PM

3. Great. They need to go back to the closet. They need to go Underground.

They need to be ashamed of their views and attitudes.

I don't want them to be out in public, yelling at restaurant servers because they speak Spanish. I want them ashamed to leave the house with that racist shit.

They are not a majority.

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 12, 2019, 04:53 PM

5. hypocrite losers playing victim. nobody's 1st A rights are being taken away nt

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 12, 2019, 04:59 PM

6. People in the Hamptons

whining about not getting to be snobbish in the open.

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 12, 2019, 04:59 PM

7. They do have a disease, and it's fatal ...

to others.

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 12, 2019, 05:04 PM

8. if you go around wearing a MAGA hat, you really need to fear physical violence

Oh BULLSHIT!

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 12, 2019, 05:08 PM

9. Whomp, whomp.....

n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread