HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Beto O'Rourke Is Doing Wh...

Thu Aug 8, 2019, 09:34 AM

Beto O'Rourke Is Doing What Donald Trump Is Simply Incapable Of

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the General Discussion forum).

The Texan is demonstrating real leadership in the wake of a horrific mass shooting by unequivocally condemning racism.
And Americans are responding.
By John Nichols

snip

After a horrific mass shooting that left 22 men, women, and children dead in El Paso, killed by a white man who targeted Latinos and whose “manifesto” echoed Trump’s anti-immigrant hate speech, O’Rourke responded not as a 2020 presidential contender (or as the Senate candidate some would like him to be) but as a passionate son of his hometown.

The former El Paso City Council member and congressman held nothing back. He condemned Trump as “a racist” who “stokes racism in this country.” He challenged those who might coddle Trump or make excuses for a president who takes no responsibility for vile words and deeds. O’Rourke refused to go along anymore with the standard candidate-reporter exchanges regarding the man he proposes to challenge. “What do you think? You know the shit he’s been saying. He’s been calling Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals,” O’Rourke said of Trump. “I don’t know, like, members of the press, what the fuck? Hold on a second. You know, I—it’s these questions that you know the answers to.”

snip

Then, as the president prepared to make a trip to El Paso that local officials have criticized, Trump unleashed on O’Rourke—with a venomous Tuesday-night tweet that screamed: “Beto (phony name to indicate Hispanic heritage) O’Rourke, who is embarrassed by my last visit to the Great State of Texas, where I trounced him, and is now even more embarrassed by polling at 1% in the Democrat Primary, should respect the victims & law enforcement—& be quiet!”

O’Rourke responded immediately, and devastatingly, with a tweet that simply said: “22 people in my hometown are dead after an act of terror inspired by your racism. El Paso will not be quiet and neither will I.”

https://www.thenation.com/article/beto-orourke-trump-shooting/

BTW does anybody have a link to the twitter video of Beto consoling the Wal Mart employee and giving him
his personal cell # so he could get him some help?

6 replies, 434 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Beto O'Rourke Is Doing What Donald Trump Is Simply Incapable Of (Original post)
Botany Aug 8 OP
PJMcK Aug 8 #1
Botany Aug 8 #2
PJMcK Aug 8 #3
dalton99a Aug 8 #4
Botany Aug 8 #5
Omaha Steve Aug 8 #6

Response to Botany (Original post)

Thu Aug 8, 2019, 09:36 AM

1. Good post

Link, please.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to PJMcK (Reply #1)

Thu Aug 8, 2019, 09:38 AM

2. Sorry ... I forgot

Link posted now.

Response to Botany (Reply #2)

Thu Aug 8, 2019, 09:40 AM

3. Thanks! (n/t)

Response to Botany (Reply #2)

Thu Aug 8, 2019, 10:14 AM

4. El Paso native and presidential hopeful comforts Walmart employee (KOAT-TV):

Response to dalton99a (Reply #4)

Thu Aug 8, 2019, 10:29 AM

5. I hope if his run for POTUS doesn't work out he run for Senate

That was pure class. I hope that young man gets some help.

Response to Botany (Original post)

Thu Aug 8, 2019, 11:26 AM

6. After a review by forum hosts....LOCKING

Per the decisions and instructions of the DU Admins, all OP's regarding Democratic candidates for the Party's nomination for President are to be posted in the Democratic Primaries Forum. Please post your OP there. Thanks