HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Navy Football Drops 'Load...

Sun Aug 4, 2019, 08:16 PM

Navy Football Drops 'Load the Clip' Season Motto

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/04/sports/navy-football-motto-load-the-clip.html

The United States Naval Academy’s football team dropped the motto for its 2019 season, “Load the Clip,” on Friday amid concerns that it was insensitive to victims of gun violence, particularly those at The Capital Gazette newsroom in Annapolis, Md., where a man shot and killed five staff members last year.

In a statement, the Naval Academy’s superintendent, Vice Admiral Sean Buck, called the motto “inappropriate and insensitive to the community we call home.”

The team’s stadium, Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, is less than three miles from The Gazette newsroom.

“I take responsibility for, and apologize to, not only The Capital Gazette, but the entire Annapolis community,” he said. “It is always my priority, part of my mission statement, for the Navy to be a good neighbor. The bottom line is, we missed the mark here.”

<more>

This will get the gunners all a'flutter - i.e., "It's not a clip, it's a magazine"!!!!!111111.

1 replies, 420 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Navy Football Drops 'Load the Clip' Season Motto (Original post)
jpak Aug 4 OP
royable Aug 4 #1

Response to jpak (Original post)

Sun Aug 4, 2019, 10:46 PM

1. "...we missed the mark here." which is another gun- (and arrow-) related idiom. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread