HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Could hosting G7 summit g...

Wed Jul 31, 2019, 09:58 AM

Could hosting G7 summit get Trump Doral out of financial rut? It worked at Mar-a-Lago

Could hosting G7 summit get Trump Doral out of financial rut? It worked at Mar-a-Lago

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article233263105.html

President Donald Trump is considering his own Trump National Doral resort to host the Group of Seven summit in 2020, according to numerous media reports. It wouldn’t be the first time Miami has served as the backdrop for a U.S. president’s meeting with foreign leaders. But it would be the first time the host president stands to gain financially from the venue.

It raises questions about whether the event is being used as a way to get his Miami property out of a financial rut.

Beyond the money paid directly to the club to cover the costs of hosting an international event, iconic visits to Mar-a-Lago, like the 2017 summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping, helped increase international tourism to the property, bringing in a steady, albeit small, stream of revenue to the then-struggling property.

Hosting the G7 Summit — consisting of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States — at any of his properties would exacerbate claims that Trump is profiting from the presidency in violation of the so-called Emoluments Clause of the U.S. Constitution. Trump is already facing lawsuits over similar allegations, primarily about his hotel in Washington D.C.

6 replies, 342 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Could hosting G7 summit get Trump Doral out of financial rut? It worked at Mar-a-Lago (Original post)
Miles Archer Jul 31 OP
ProudMNDemocrat Jul 31 #1
tanyev Jul 31 #2
TreasonousBastard Jul 31 #3
Stinky The Clown Jul 31 #4
Wounded Bear Jul 31 #5
cojoel Jul 31 #6

Response to Miles Archer (Original post)

Wed Jul 31, 2019, 10:05 AM

1. Had this been a Democrat doing this....

Republicans would be shouting "IMPEACHMENT" from the rafters.

Democrats should be screaming..."CORRUPTION" from the rafters because that is what this is.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jul 31, 2019, 10:08 AM

2. Doubling the membership fee at Merde Lago had to help.

I read the entire article to see if that was mentioned. At the very end it stated that the membership fee was ‘raised’ to 200 K. My recollection is that it was 100 K before the 2016 election.

Reply to this post

Response to tanyev (Reply #2)

Wed Jul 31, 2019, 10:17 AM

3. Pleasing the King isn't cheap.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 31, 2019, 10:19 AM

4. I stay at a lot of hotels. Many for conferences.

I was at Doral about 4 years ago and it was a real dump. I mean terrible. Dirty. Poor repair. Very worn looking. Massively overpriced.

Reply to this post

Response to Stinky The Clown (Reply #4)

Wed Jul 31, 2019, 10:45 AM

5. That's OK, they'll fix it up and charge the taxpayers...

much like Nixon and his air conditioner at the Western White House.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 31, 2019, 12:02 PM

6. I heard it was infested

with bedbugs or something...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread