HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Rude Pundit: Let's H...

Thu Jul 18, 2019, 08:05 AM

The Rude Pundit: Let's Have This Goddamn Political Race War Already

http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/2019/07/lets-have-this-goddamn-political-race.html

The Rude Pundit
Proudly lowering the level of political discourse
7/17/2019
Let's Have This Goddamn Political Race War Already

At least now Democrats can stop fucking pretending that there is any reasoning with Republicans or anyone on the right at this point. By refusing to condemn President Donald Trump's blatantly racist statements as "racist," by continuing and expanding on Trump's attacks on four non-white Democratic congresswomen in saying that they should leave the United States, by getting outraged that racism is being called racism, the GOP has ripped its mask off in the clearest way possible and gone all in on attacks on non-whites. At this point, Donald Trump could yell, "Nigger!" on Fifth Avenue and wouldn't lose any voters. And Republicans would blame whichever black person it was directed at.

Conservatives like to decry what they say is "identity politics;" that is, making policies and running candidates to appeal to a certain racial, ethnic, religious, or other background. But the GOP's appeal to white nationalists and to the idiot hordes that comprise its base is more clearly identity politics than anything Democrats have done. 'Cause, see, Trump and those who suckle at Trump's orange manteats get their votes almost exclusively from white people. By contrast, Ilhan Omar was elected with 78% of the vote in a district that is two-thirds white. I fucking guarantee you that Republican Representative Steve Scalise didn't get shit for non-white votes. But we're supposed to pretend that Omar is dividing Americans. Fuck that.

snip//

Let me personalize this: I fucking love my neighborhood. I love the black women artists who live downstairs from me. I love the Latino kids who ride their bikes up and down the street with rap music on old school boomboxes playing. I love the Indian family across the street who have a disabled son whose Chinese bus driver is always overjoyed to see. I love the Dominican family behind me who have parties that always end up with musicians playing amazing tunes. I love the young Puerto Rican parents who have a car with a license frame that says, "My other car is the Tardis." I love the white people who showed up to offer comfort to the Pakistani owner of the corner bodega when his father died. It ain't perfect. We've had crime and fights and everything (although that's changed since the neighborhood has become even more diverse). But I fucking love this America. I don't know who is here legally or illegally. And I don't give a shit. I just care that we all treat each other with respect. If you don't love this, too, then you don't love this country.

That's worth fighting for. That's worth pissing off the mythical "White Working Class" (which doesn't seem to contain all those working class voters who think Trump's full of shit). That's worth having the political race war the GOP has been aching to have and has been having since 1980. Let's have this throwdown the nation has needed since the civil rights era. Let's define who we are and try to finally be absolutely fucking clear about it.

Call it like many of us have been saying for years now: If you support Donald Trump, you're racist. And fuck you. Double fuck you if you think calling you "racist" is racist, you dumb motherfuckers. And triple fuck you if you think anyone who doesn't want to get face-fucked by Donald Trump hates this country and should leave. You assholes aren't leaving over the Affordable Care Act, which is the law of the land. You assholes didn't leave over same-sex marriage. You put on your asshole hats and tried to change it. Which is the exact same thing that Ocasio-Cortez, Omar, Pressley, and Tlaib are trying to do (minus the asshole hats and with smarter tweets).

Make this election explicitly about the meaning of America, Democrats. This is our chance to take the plot of this story back from Republicans, who have controlled the narrative for most of the last three generations. Do we stand with diversity as our strength or do we stand with white nationalism? Do we stand with the right to dissent or obeisance to a leader? Jesus, we already have to get over the bar of our current racism. If it turns out that most of the country wants to be more racist and more in the thrall of a fucking moron and his moronic policies and the moronic, racist party that props up his saggy orange ass, then we'll at least be able to be fucking honest about it.

And then we can decide if fighting on is worth it or if we want to leave.

(Note: This was supposed to be part 2 of something I started last week, but, well, then this shit started. It's coming.)

10 replies, 2584 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Rude Pundit: Let's Have This Goddamn Political Race War Already (Original post)
babylonsister Jul 18 OP
Bernardo de La Paz Jul 18 #1
Traildogbob Jul 18 #3
SnowCritter Jul 18 #5
Hortensis Jul 18 #2
dalton99a Jul 18 #4
Pepsidog Jul 18 #6
jmbar2 Jul 18 #7
struggle4progress Jul 18 #8
smirkymonkey Jul 18 #9
McKim Jul 18 #10

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Thu Jul 18, 2019, 09:54 AM

1. tRumpubliCons fighting last ditch rearguard battle. This is it.

We've had black astronauts, an African-American President, and a black Joint Chief of Staff and numerous other examples up and down and far and wide in society of integration of minorities and women and other groups discriminated against. It is a work in progress.

When we win this one, probably in 2020, it won't be the end of racist resistance but it will really be forced back on all fronts.

"Whitey" (term from 1969 heard on the radio today, meaning white bigots) knows this but hasn't thought it out. It (maybe the greater part of tRump's 35% base) also knows it is a minority and knows it is a demographic loser. Even so, without any realistic future vision, it is hoping to delay the inevitable for as long as possible: the loss of old white male privilege, then the loss of white male privilege, then the loss of white privilege.

Between now and February 2021, but especially in November 2020, is the best opportunity in a generation to really put a lid on it and weld it shut.l

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Bernardo de La Paz (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 18, 2019, 10:07 AM

3. Someone help me.

Trump is going on and on and on about Omar and her anti semetism. So did Linsay Graham, calling her an anti Semitic, communists. (China and North Korea, Russia, trump bows to those dictators) his base is eating it all up. But, his most loyal fans in Charlottesville chanting with torches Jews will not replace us are considered good people. Not to mention running over and killing those opposed to that Jewish hate. Which is it. Jew good, Jew bad. (Israel is pro abortion, Goverment paid for and we send them billions in our taxes, any thoughts White Jesus cult?)

Reply to this post

Response to Traildogbob (Reply #3)

Thu Jul 18, 2019, 10:21 AM

5. What they don't seem to understand

is that Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are all Semitic religions.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 18, 2019, 10:02 AM

2. Love it. Btw, the meaning of America and protecting it

is already Biden's campaign focus.

I'm very much a policy nerd and really appreciate talk about policy, but I would like to see all our candidates also shift focus to discuss explicitly who Americans really are and have always been, what is great about America, and the need to save it.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 18, 2019, 10:19 AM

4. Kick

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 18, 2019, 10:28 AM

6. Right on Babylonsister!

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 18, 2019, 10:55 AM

7. Don't hold back...

I have never felt more in solidarity with POC/LGBTQ in my life. Together, we can do so much better.

I am so sorry for what you have endured for centuries from white/straight people. I commit to righting these wrongs, and building a saner future.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 18, 2019, 10:59 AM

8. "Identity politics really riles up us white supremacists!"

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 18, 2019, 11:18 AM

9. Hear, hear!

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 18, 2019, 11:42 AM

10. Let's Go For It!

This is my America!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread