HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Question about immigrants...

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 07:09 PM

Question about immigrants taking our jobs.

If immigrants took your job

Then why do you still have a job?

(For those complaining about taking jobs.)

10 replies, 412 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Question about immigrants taking our jobs. (Original post)
LiberalFighter Jul 15 OP
Sherman A1 Jul 15 #1
Backseat Driver Jul 15 #8
Sherman A1 Jul 15 #10
Thomas Hurt Jul 15 #2
keithbvadu2 Jul 15 #3
drray23 Jul 15 #4
LiberalFighter Jul 15 #5
blm Jul 15 #9
LiberalFighter Jul 15 #6
Caliman73 Jul 15 #7

Response to LiberalFighter (Original post)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 07:14 PM

1. It's not immigrants taking the jobs

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #1)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 07:56 PM

8. Nope, not immigrants, but I fell for the government/corporate misinformation

that medical coding was the career of the future, just not in any major city with world-class hospitals or medical universities, supersaturated with specialized personnel with better timing than mine. My accreditation organization re-organized, and accredited follow-up training programs leading to a Bachelor's degree left the state for a decade. I turned to transcription, and voice-to-text, specialty-driven software for doctors pushing the EASY BUTTON, and not-so-great English-trained off-shore East Indians got the contracts on the other side of the world.

DH was in IT but no amount of skills or experience kept away the redundancy of mergers/acquisitions, nor the cheap labor trained specifically in "new" languages, software for big box computing, nor newer still PC workstation applications or the cybersecurity of same turned to over-40 Americans. When the contracts ended, re-organized, or projects went on hold, so did your work, never to return. The stories we could tell about the recruiters too! - UGH!

Even aging out of professional gigs didn't stop the serial unemployment: low-paid clerking in a butcher shop, performing customer service in a grocery store. Wonder how long they'll need someone to watch over storage unit rentals? Probably until a boost in minimum wage means seniors can stay home and starve, huh? No one, not even the Democratic candidates, have mentioned us.

Reply to this post

Response to Backseat Driver (Reply #8)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 08:30 PM

10. I disagree with "No one, not even the Democratic candidates, have mentioned us."

PROBLEMS TO BE SOLVED

Approx. 40 million Americans live below the poverty line.

Technology is quickly displacing a large number of workers, and the pace will only increase as automation and other forms of artificial intelligence become more advanced. ⅓ of American workers will lose their jobs to automation by 2030 according to McKinsey. This has the potential to destabilize our economy and society if unaddressed.

Good jobs are becoming more and more scarce and Americans are already working harder and harder for less and less.

It is necessary to support and preserve a robust consumer economy.

Many Americans are stuck in the wrong jobs because of a need to survive.

There are many positive social activities that are currently impossible for many to do because they lack the financial resources to dedicate time to it, including taking care of a child or sick loved one, and volunteering in the community.
and redirect you to the link to Andrew Yang's policy page below.

THE FREEDOM DIVIDEND
Andrew would implement the Freedom Dividend, a universal basic income of $1,000/month, $12,000 a year, for every American adult over the age of 18. This is independent of one’s work status or any other factor. This would enable all Americans to pay their bills, educate themselves, start businesses, be more creative, stay healthy, relocate for work, spend time with their children, take care of loved ones, and have a real stake in the future.

Other than regular increases to keep up the cost of living, any change to the Freedom Dividend would require a constitutional amendment.

It will be illegal to lend or borrow against one’s Dividend.

A Universal Basic Income at this level would permanently grow the economy by 12.56 to 13.10 percent—or about $2.5 trillion by 2025—and it would increase the labor force by 4.5 to 4.7 million people. Putting money into people’s hands and keeping it there would be a perpetual boost and support to job growth and the economy.

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/the-freedom-dividend/

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 07:14 PM

2. I know I "took" my current job,

I bribed or threatened the interviewers with physical harm if I didn't get the job...worked like a charm.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 07:23 PM

3. ...but also worry that Mexicans are going to take your job...

If you think that Mexico is only sending drug dealers and rapists,
but also worry that Mexicans are going to take your job...

What do you do for a living?

?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F%3Ca%20href=

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 07:31 PM

4. Even on DU you hear that bullshit.

I am a naturalized US citizen. As a scientist, I came from France on a work Visa sponsored by the department of energy .

I got my green card under the classification on aliens with extraordinary ability ( what people often call the einstein visa).

I would like to think I am adding to the richness of the country, not steal a job from somebody else. After ww2 we had a huge influx of scientists fleeing Europe and this enriched the country.

Reply to this post

Response to drray23 (Reply #4)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 07:37 PM

5. Yep!

Reply to this post

Response to drray23 (Reply #4)

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 08:01 PM

9. 👍🏼

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 07:38 PM

6. What they don't get too that these jobs that they wouldn't do themselves add to the economy.

Some complain about the illegals and wanting to deport them all. What would happen to the economy if that were to happen?

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 15, 2019, 07:50 PM

7. No one "takes" a job. Jobs are given by those who run the companies.

By focusing on people "taking" jobs we all feed into the idea that other poor people or people in the same boat as us are responsible for us not getting hired. The companies that request visas for people to come from other countries are responsible. This is not meant at all, as offense to people who come from other countries to fill jobs that are open. It is completely valid to seek a job that will sustain you and your families. The problem is that companies typically hire undocumented workers, or foreign workers through various visa programs so that they can save money. Then those same people tell us that undocumented people and foreigners are stealing jobs and "depressing wages". NO, you are GIVING the jobs to undocumented workers and foreign visa holder EXPLICITLY for the purpose of depressing wages.

Like that old cartoon with the rich guy taking 2/3ds of the pie, the telling the two workers, "Hey, that guy is stealing your slice".

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread