HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Massachusetts-sized Blobs...

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 12:27 AM

Massachusetts-sized Blobs of Toxic Algae

This Year’s Wild, Wet Spring Is Feeding Massive Blobs of Toxic Algae

In Midwestern farm country, this year’s wet, wild spring—which is likely tied to climate change—has already severely delayed planting and led to massive amounts of soil erosion. Now the downstream effects are coming into focus.

In June, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration projected a Massachusetts-sized dead zone would alight upon the Gulf of Mexico, driven by a vast algae bloom fed by fertilizer runoff from the upper Midwest. As the bloom decays, it sucks oxygen out of the water. As a result, as NOAA puts it, “habitats that would normally be teeming with life become, essentially, biological deserts.”

And on Thursday, NOAA predicted that Lake Erie, which provides drinking water to 11 million people, will also experience a massive harmful algae bloom, starting in late July. The bloom is fed largely by phosphorus runoff in the Maumee River basin in Ohio, where the land is dominated by corn and soybean farms as well as massive indoor hog farms. Phosphorus is a key nutrient for plant growth, and farmers apply it to fields in the form of fertilizer (which comes mainly from phosphate mines in Florida) and hog manure.

Full Article: https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2019/07/this-years-wild-wet-spring-has-led-to-massive-blobs-of-toxic-algae/

This is not only affecting ocean water, but our largest bodies of fresh water. Fresh water that millions of people depend on for survival.

20 replies, 882 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply Massachusetts-sized Blobs of Toxic Algae (Original post)
blue-wave Jul 13 OP
dalton99a Jul 13 #1
JonAndKatePlusABird Jul 13 #2
blue-wave Jul 13 #4
smirkymonkey Jul 13 #3
mr_lebowski Jul 13 #5
Blue_true Jul 13 #12
Celerity Jul 13 #6
Blue_true Jul 13 #13
Maru Kitteh Jul 13 #7
Blue_true Jul 13 #14
roamer65 Jul 13 #8
Blue_true Jul 13 #15
CentralMass Jul 13 #9
Blue_true Jul 13 #16
CentralMass Jul 14 #19
Blue_true Jul 14 #20
catchnrelease Jul 13 #10
Blue_true Jul 13 #17
Blue Owl Jul 13 #11
ProudLib72 Jul 14 #18

Response to blue-wave (Original post)

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 12:36 AM

1. And the shoreline will smell like a sewer

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 12:50 AM

2. "What is a Massachusetts-sized Blob of Toxic Algae"?

Alex, I’ll take “nicknames better left unsaid” for $400 please.

Reply to this post

Response to JonAndKatePlusABird (Reply #2)

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 12:57 AM

4. Ha, ha!! So I presume you'll volunteer to take the last

spot in line for rationed drinkable fresh water?

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 12:52 AM

3. This is very depressing.

Because you know that we will not do anything about it until it is far too late.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 01:45 AM

5. Man, those Chinese sure know how to run themselves one hell of a realistic-seeming hoax ...

Gotta give 'em that, yeah?

Reply to this post

Response to mr_lebowski (Reply #5)

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 11:06 PM

12. They have had tens of thousands of years to work on their hoax making.

They started working on it soon after they invented gun powder.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 01:51 AM

6. massive indoor hog farms

Reply to this post

Response to Celerity (Reply #6)

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 11:10 PM

13. Believe it or not. All agriculture is headed in that direction.

If people are going to continue to eat meat, vegetables, fruit, ect as the climate changes, tower farms will be the only way to reliably feed people. The alternative would be to let billions of people die.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 01:56 AM

7. By all means, let's keep pretending factory meat farming isn't a total fucking disaster

for the environment, let alone human health and ethics.

Reply to this post

Response to Maru Kitteh (Reply #7)

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 11:30 PM

14. Good point. But human beings are going to have to be trained away from meat, or

to eat far less of it.

The other problem is that as climate change gets worst, the tendency will likely to go to dense factory farms for everything from grains to fruit. Large tracks of land will become unusable in climate change, forcing changes in how the remaining farmland is used, the only option being to go to multi-story dense packed farms (eg, factory farms).

It is a catch 22 situation, but we put ourselves here.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 02:26 AM

8. I remember the last algal bloom in Lake Erie a few years back.

People from Toledo came up into the Detroit burbs for bottled drinking water. It was crazy.

Carts full heading out of the Kroger store I shop at.

Reply to this post

Response to roamer65 (Reply #8)

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 11:38 PM

15. I noticed this morning that the water that came from my faucet smells a little funky.

I noticed it a few days ago while running the sink in my kitchen but I dismissed it as a one off smell that could have floated into my place, or was something from one of my experiments. But I was shaving this morning and smelled the same smell, only a bit stronger. I ran a smell test on the bath sink water and concluded the smell came from there.

I don't know why the city water has a smell. I drink purified bottled water only and only use the city water for washing me and other things like dishes.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 03:02 AM

9. Can't they call it Rhode Island sized blob of algae instead ;-)

Reply to this post

Response to CentralMass (Reply #9)

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 11:45 PM

16. Because Rhode Island is the ugly duckling of New England.

Last edited Sun Jul 14, 2019, 02:09 PM - Edit history (1)

It really is a great state, at least the cities are. But people outside of New England don't think about it much. It would be nice if the Americus Cup races came back to Newport permanently, that was a big attraction and put the state on the tongues of a lot of people.

Massachusetts has an elongated shape, sort of like a little long dog, I don't know why someone would describe a spreading mass as Massachusetts size unless they were talking about total hectares.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_true (Reply #16)

Sun Jul 14, 2019, 02:27 AM

19. I was joking. I like Rhode Island. One of my daughter's graduated from Providence College.

Reply to this post

Response to CentralMass (Reply #19)

Sun Jul 14, 2019, 02:14 PM

20. I knew that you were joking.

Rhode Island is a great little state. I wish that more people from other parts of the country would visit that state when visiting Boston or leaf peeping through New England. I would especially like southerners to visit, to see what real and working racial and ethnic diversity looks like. People should make a point of visiting areas beside the larger cities there.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 03:45 AM

10. Far reaching effects

I saw an article yesterday about how with the high water runoff due to rain, washing all of this toxic soup down to the gulf it is destroying the whole ecosystem there. The thing that hit me most was a photo of a dead Bottlenose Dolphin with horrible lesions all over it's body. It really overwhelmed me to think about that animal living with that until it finally died. They are finding like 3x the number of dead dolphin than even last year.

The rest of the article was about how the shrimp and fishing industries are also being wiped out. And the plight of the people that make their living from the gulf. But I will never forget how that dolphin looked.

Reply to this post

Response to catchnrelease (Reply #10)

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 11:49 PM

17. But all those folks, the farmers being wiped out, the shrimpers and boat captains being wiped out

will keep voting republican and Donald Trump. Unfortunately, like everything bad, there are good people getting hammered along with the idiots.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 13, 2019, 10:46 PM

11. Good description of tRump's ego

n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 14, 2019, 01:22 AM

18. Remember last year when NC hog farm lagoons overflowed because of hurricane Florence?

The pink pig shit that flowed into rivers?

OMG that was nasty! This is only 10,000 times worse.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread