HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Well, *I* had never thoug...

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 04:12 PM

Well, *I* had never thought of this. Never leave home WiFi on default / factory credentials.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1149384426003976192.html?refreshed=yes

Do you think Fedex, or UPS, or USPS, have considered the possibility that someone could easily ship a wifi-sniffing device to themselves and have the device turned/sniffing the airwaves during the whole trip?

Take the USPS example-
The wifi sniffer would be sitting in the postal worker's vehicle at every stop on their route (every house) after pickup. Then the package would physically enter a federal processing facility and be handled by machinery and additional people.

All the while potentially grabbing passwords, wifi handshake hashes, media addresses, and more. Such a thing could even do some active probing of the wifi or bluetooth enabled machines in areas it passes through. Theoretically even audio could be recorded.

Then the finale is the actual return of the package to the person that shipped it to themselves. Stored data is then downloaded off device and parsed out for tasty bits.

Have shipping companies/services considered this? Are there mitigations in place?

10 replies, 1265 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Well, *I* had never thought of this. Never leave home WiFi on default / factory credentials. (Original post)
Roland99 Jul 11 OP
customerserviceguy Jul 11 #1
jberryhill Jul 11 #3
jberryhill Jul 11 #2
NeoGreen Jul 11 #5
stonecutter357 Jul 11 #4
Brother Buzz Jul 11 #6
jberryhill Jul 11 #7
Brother Buzz Jul 11 #9
jberryhill Jul 11 #10
Roland99 Jul 11 #8

Response to Roland99 (Original post)

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 04:16 PM

1. You'd need a sufficient amount

of battery power to do that. I'm not familiar with sniffing devices, so maybe it is feasible.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to customerserviceguy (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 04:19 PM

3. It's feasible, but I don't see the point

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 04:18 PM

2. What would be the advantage of that versus simply driving around with it yourself?

My post office is a couple of miles away. There's nothing that stops me from wardriving (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardriving) around my local area.

How does having the USPS deliver a package give me more information than I could simply get myself?

Reply to this post

Response to jberryhill (Reply #2)

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 04:29 PM

5. I think the idea is that you are having UPS do the Wardriving...

...for you.

You place your sniffing device in a package that is to be shipped to you and collect data from all the truck's stops along the way.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 04:25 PM

4. Double Your Internet Speed for Free ....

Reply to this post

Response to stonecutter357 (Reply #4)

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 04:35 PM

6. Gracie Allen shortened all the electric cords in her house to save electricity.

Reply to this post

Response to Brother Buzz (Reply #6)

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 04:39 PM

7. She always had very clever solutions

Reply to this post

Response to jberryhill (Reply #7)

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 05:03 PM

9. She was also a political sage

A platform is something a candidate stands for and the voters fall for - Gracie Allen

And when she ran for president she decided there would be no vice presidential candidate because she promised there would be no vice in her administration; Gracie ran a clean campaign, with simple and achievable goals

Reply to this post

Response to Brother Buzz (Reply #9)

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 05:07 PM

10. I would have voted for her

As a kid, I thought she was really ditzy, because I didn't understand that she was so witty and talented that she could make that portrayal seem so effortless.

Reply to this post

Response to stonecutter357 (Reply #4)

Thu Jul 11, 2019, 05:02 PM

8. lmao

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread