HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » ICE Just Quietly Opened T...

Tue Jul 9, 2019, 05:24 PM

ICE Just Quietly Opened Three New Detention Centers, Flouting Congress' Limits

2 hours ago
ICE Just Quietly Opened Three New Detention Centers, Flouting Congressí Limits
The facilities are all run by private prison companies, and one experienced a violent riot.
Noah Lanard

When members of Congress reached a bipartisan deal to end the government shutdown in February, they gave Immigration and Customs Enforcement a simple instruction: Stop detaining so many people. Instead, ICE pushed its detention population to an all-time high of 54,000 people, up from about 34,000 on an average day in 2016 and well above the 40,520 target Congress set for ICE.

Now, just after Congress rejected another request for more detention money, ICE is continuing to spend money it hasnít been given. Mother Jones has learned that ICE has started using three new for-profit immigration detention centers in the Deep South in recent weeks. One of them has seen the death of three inmates following poor medical treatment and a violent riot in 2012 that left a guard dead.

Interviews with lawyers and prison officials and ICE records reveal that the agency has begun detaining migrants at the Adams County Correctional Center, a Mississippi prison operated by CoreCivic; the Catahoula Correctional Center, a Louisiana jail run by LaSalle Corrections; and the South Louisiana ICE Processing Center, run by GEO Group in Basile, Louisiana. ICE has not previously disclosed its use of the Adams County and Catahoula centers, though GEO Group did announce in April that ICE would soon begin using the Basile facility. On Tuesday, ICE spokesman Bryan Cox confirmed that all three facilities started housing ICE detainees late last month. Together, the three detention centers can hold about 4,000 people, potentially expanding ICEís presence in Louisiana and Mississippi by 50 percent.

Conditions at the Adams County prison have been particularly bad. Complaints by inmates there about inadequate medical care, staff mistreatment, and rotten food contributed to a 2012 riot that left one guard dead and more than a dozen people injured. The Justice Department announced in May that it would stop using the prison. ICE has decided to fill that void.

ICE had the capacity to detain only about 2,000 people in Louisiana and Mississippi at the start of Donald Trumpís presidency. But contracts signed with private prison companies in the past year have pushed ICEís capacity in those states above 10,000 people. The horrifying conditions uncovered by Mother Jones at the Winn Correctional Center in Louisiana and by The Nation at Adams County helped push Barack Obamaís Justice Department to move to end its use of private prisons. Since June, ICE has started sending asylum seekers to both of those prisons.

more...

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/07/ice-just-quietly-opened-three-new-detention-centers-flouting-congress-limits/?fbclid=IwAR1GkZpsywbda1xVtfEAVvr_UaTWKtIcOdUX5I5ckrXt157RrRqZvNjyfgo

10 replies, 634 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply ICE Just Quietly Opened Three New Detention Centers, Flouting Congress' Limits (Original post)
babylonsister Jul 9 OP
Thomas Hurt Jul 9 #1
icymist Jul 9 #2
questionseverything Jul 9 #3
MichMan Jul 9 #6
questionseverything Jul 9 #9
global1 Jul 9 #4
triron Jul 9 #5
questionseverything Jul 9 #10
TeamPooka Jul 9 #7
Haggis for Breakfast Jul 9 #8

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Tue Jul 9, 2019, 05:27 PM

1. Ovens and slave camps are messy and it didn't work out to well for that German fella...

this time around warehouse slavery for profit.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jul 9, 2019, 05:29 PM

2. K & R

The criminality of ICE just escalates.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 9, 2019, 05:29 PM

3. this is why combatting climate change is so important

desperate people are just gonna keep coming

trump is certainly wrong in his approach but it is not an easy fix problem either

Reply to this post

Response to questionseverything (Reply #3)

Tue Jul 9, 2019, 05:55 PM

6. Can you even claim asylum for climate change ?

I thought people were coming for economic reasons or to escape violence ?

Reply to this post

Response to MichMan (Reply #6)

Tue Jul 9, 2019, 07:14 PM

9. i honestly dont know but

think of those 4 million plus peops in india that have been out of water for weeks now and how much they would love to be here if they could

the water shortage is at least in part due to climate change as the monsoons have all but disappeared

and hear in the bread basket of the world, the crops are very stunted because we have had so much rain

the point I am trying to make is we are going to have huge numbers of peoples that need help in an efficient and human manner

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 9, 2019, 05:39 PM

4. I'm Beginning To Think That Trump Is Scamming Us On His Wanting To Protect The Borders.....

Is it me or does it seem like when Trump talks Wall or Closing the Border - that more people attempt to come over the border. We know that they are detaining more people at the border and putting them up in these facilities that are all run by private prison companies.

What was the dollar figure we heard last week? It costs $750/day per person to house these people.

Didn't Trump last week kind of coerce the Dems into allotting more money to be used to house these people?

So Trump creates the situation. He then uses the situation to get more of our money money. And now they are opening up more detention centers to house these people. And guess what - the private prison companies are making more and more money. I wonder how much of a cut Trump gets for this scam. Is this why Trump is raising all this money for his campaign? Payback for making these private prison companies rich.

Is this why Trump has made border security his go to issue? Does he really want to protect our borders or is this just a money making venture for his rich friends and himself?

Reply to this post

Response to global1 (Reply #4)

Tue Jul 9, 2019, 05:44 PM

5. Huh? What planet have you been on lately?

Reply to this post

Response to global1 (Reply #4)

Tue Jul 9, 2019, 07:19 PM

10. i kinda agree with you

the repubs I know love the fact that they can pay illegal immigrants a fraction of what they can pay someone with proper papers and I think he uses the border thing to rile up his base without really wanting it stopped

add in the prison for profit and god forbid probably the teenage girls missing all while distracting us from other crisis around the world

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 9, 2019, 06:00 PM

7. and Democrats got to vote FOR their funding with that $5 billion hostage package they just passed

AOC was right

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 9, 2019, 06:01 PM

8. CALL YOUR MEMBERS OF CONGRESS

Hor auf mit diesem Wahnsinn !!

Oh, sorry, let me give you the English translation from the German --STOP THIS INSANITY.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread