HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Justin Amash on what his ...

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 01:57 PM

Justin Amash on what his GOP colleagues say behind closed doors

Newly independent Rep. Justin Amash, the only congressional Republican to have publicly argued that President Donald Trump has engaged in impeachable conduct, told CNN that high-level party officials have thanked him behind closed doors for his stance on impeachment proceedings against Trump.

"I get people sending me text messages, people calling me, saying 'thank you for what you're doing,'" Amash told CNN's Jake Tapper in a wide-ranging interview on "State of the Union" Sunday. "They're not saying it publicly. And I think that's a problem for our country, it's a problem for the Republican Party, it's a problem for the Democratic Party when people aren't allowed to speak out."

Amash, who announced Thursday he was leaving the GOP, said that he has had problems with the Republican Party "for several years,"and that he would leave even if Trump were not president. "I don't think there is anyone in there who could change the system," Amash said.

CNN's interview with Amash comes days after he announced in a Washington Post op-ed, "Today, I am declaring my independence and leaving the Republican Party."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/justin-amash-on-what-his-gop-colleagues-say-behind-closed-doors/ar-AADYUzj?li=BBnb7Kz

6 replies, 616 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Justin Amash on what his GOP colleagues say behind closed doors (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Jul 7 OP
DeminPennswoods Jul 7 #1
ProudLib72 Jul 7 #4
rampartc Jul 7 #2
EarnestPutz Jul 7 #5
rurallib Jul 7 #3
obamanut2012 Jul 7 #6

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 02:06 PM

1. I'll be curious which party Amash chooses to caucus with

now.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DeminPennswoods (Reply #1)

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 02:57 PM

4. He could run for Dem president like Bernie!

Let's get him in on the debates too!

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 02:10 PM

2. note he said the "democratic party."

Reply to this post

Response to rampartc (Reply #2)

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 04:13 PM

5. I missed that. Nice to think that he may be looking....

....for a little love from the democrats.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 02:47 PM

3. Gives you an idea how cowardly elected Republicans are

I sure hope democratic candidates are making note of this and plan to use it against Republican incumbents.
These people are simply too scared and cowardly to stand up for what is right or reality.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 06:58 PM

6. He is very, very, very conservative

He is VERY anti choice, anti safety regs (and anti EPA), anti ACA, very pro ICE, and is anti a lot of eberything else.

He is anti gerrymandering, and was agaunst DOMA, and I believe he is for legal weed. But, he is FAR from being the least bit liberal. Which makes this even more interesting.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread