HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Unexpected CNN news on 7/...

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 09:51 AM

Unexpected CNN news on 7/7/19 "What GOP says [about Trump] behind closed doors"

Justin Amash on what his GOP colleagues say behind closed doors
By Jamie Ehrlich, CNN
Updated 10:09 AM ET, Sun July 7, 2019

(CNN) - Rep. Justin Amash, the only congressional Republican to have publicly argued that President Donald Trump has engaged in impeachable conduct, told CNN that high-level party officials have thanked him behind closed doors for his stance on impeachment proceedings against Trump.

"They're not saying it publicly. And I think that's a problem for our country, it's a problem for the Republican Party, it's a problem for the Democratic Party when people aren't allowed to speak out."

Amash didn't mention the President by name, but his decision to abandon the party comes after months of escalating criticism not just of Trump but of his own colleagues for their failure to hold the President to account, specifically for the actions detailed in special counsel Robert Mueller's report on the 2016 election and its aftermath.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/07/politics/justin-amash-republican-party-donald-trump-cnntv/index.html?cid=web-alerts&nsid=87140133

Readers should realize that Trump and the GOP majority in the Senate want Democrats in the House to impeach Trump, which will allow them to rally their constituency, after voting down ANY attempt at impeachment.

9 replies, 1964 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to real Cannabis calm (Original post)

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 10:15 AM

1. I think most already know that.

Republican party is just evil.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 10:16 AM

2. Which Democrats aren't being ""allowed to speak out"?

What was that about?

Reply to this post

Response to SHRED (Reply #2)

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 10:46 AM

4. The sentence is missing an Oxford comma after Democratic Party, IMO.

And I think that's a problem for our country, it's a problem for the Republican Party, it's a problem for the Democratic Party, when people aren't allowed to speak out.

Then the meaning is that the country, the GOP, AND the dems, are all hurt when people aren't allowed to speak out.

Kudos to Rep Amash for using the correct term for our party & not the derogatory one most of the GOP uses.

Reply to this post

Response to SHRED (Reply #2)

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 07:22 PM

9. Amash is hoping he can sing "Both sides do it" as his theme song

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 10:31 AM

3. Gosh, Justin, if only someone had the names of those fearful Republicans

You know, push them to go public, maybe even call out the difference between what those fearful Republicans say in public and private. But who could possibly do that???

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 11:05 AM

5. He's a shitstain on their party & they know it, but they're getting their tax cuts for their donors,

a stacked judicial system, & soon they will have one party rule. Bye bye safety net.

Mission Accomplished

I agree impeachment will fire up their base, but I worry that not impeaching will deflate ours. The mid-term turnout was exceptional & the message was, hold this administration accountable. Show the American people what he's done. Do something so network news has to cover it every fucking day. I agree it may not be time yet, but if the House does nothing after the Mueller testimony, I can see a lot of people who got out to vote in 2018 saying fuck it. Not me. I always vote.

People need to vote. That's our job to get our friends & family to fill out those ballots & vote, no matter who the dem candidate is. And don't forget the entire down ballot. We need more power at the lower levels just as much as at the higher levels. Senator Cory Gardner is up for re-election in my state & I am going to actively work for his dem challenger. I'm keeping my eye on some other GOP senate races to, like the turtle & concerned collins.

from CNN
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/10/politics/senate-2020-map-election-congress/index.html

Republicans - (22)
Lamar Alexander (R-Tennessee)

Shelley Moore Capito (R-West Virginia)

Bill Cassidy (R-Louisiana)

Susan Collins (R-Maine)

John Cornyn (R-Texas)

Tom Cotton (R-Arkansas)

Steve Daines (R-Montana)

Mike Enzi (R-Wyoming)

Joni Ernst (R-Iowa)

Cory Gardner (R-Colorado)

Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina)

Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Mississippi) -- Hyde-Smith was appointed by Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant to fill the seat vacated by Sen. Thad Cochran who resigned due to health issues. She competed in the 2018 special election to fill the term. CNN projects the race will go to a runoff. Hyde-Smith will compete against Democratic challenger Mike Espy since no candidate received 50% of the vote total. The contest will take place on Tuesday, November 27. A full six-year term election will be held in 2020.

James Inhofe (R-Oklahoma)

Jon Kyl (R-Arizona) -- It is expected that there will be an open special election in 2020 for the seat because Kyl has said he will not run in 2020. A full six-year term election will take place in 2022.

Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky)

David Perdue (R-GA)

Jim Risch (R-Idaho)

Pat Roberts (R-Kansas)

Mike Rounds (R-South Dakota)

Ben Sasse (R-Nebraska)

Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska)

Thom Tillis (R-North Carolina)

Democrats - (12)
Cory Booker (D-New Jersey)

Chris Coons (D-Delaware)

Dick Durbin (D-Illinois)

Doug Jones (D-Alabama)

Ed Markey (D-Massachusetts)

Jeff Merkley (D-Oregon)

Gary Peters (D-Michigan)

Jack Reed (D-Rhode Island)

Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH)

Tina Smith (D-Minnesota) -- Smith was appointed by Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton to fill the vacancy created after Sen. Al Franken decided to resign. She faced a special election in 2018 and CNN projected that Smith defeated her Republican challenger in that race. A full six-year term election will be held for the seat in 2020.

Tom Udall (D-New Mexico)

Mark Warner (D-Virginia)

CNN's Adam Levy contributed to this report.

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #5)

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 07:14 PM

8. elegant, factual addition to the GOP hit list; thanks...

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 11:12 AM

6. I'm sorry but after 19 years of following politics closely, I have learned that

REPUBLICANS cannot be depended on to do the right, ethical, moral or legal things...

They are ALL hateful $hitbags that legislate and endorse policies that are against the best interests of my family and me! PHUCK them!

Reply to this post

Response to NewDayOranges (Reply #6)

Sun Jul 7, 2019, 11:22 AM

7. And GOP words never match GOP actions: threatening birth control, running up deficits

mistreating poor children, polluting, abandoning schools, eliminating programs for veterans, mental illness and aged...it goes on and on.

They're not christian, they're not pro-life, they're not anti-debt, they allow their potus to sell us to Saudi Arabia and Russia, they want to eliminate healthcare and ruin the planet.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread