HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Drop, Cover, and Hold new...

Sat Jul 6, 2019, 02:30 AM

Drop, Cover, and Hold new style. A few important tips that might go against what you and I

learned.

1. The door frame is no stronger than the inner walls of your house away from the possibility of
breaking glass and falling objects.

2. Donít run about seeking cover as you might injure yourself in the process or falling stuff get you before you reach cover.

3. Donít immediately go outside and when you do stay away from falling building parts, glass, power lines etc.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-earthquake-drop-cover-hold-on-20161020-snap-htmlstory.html

4 replies, 1259 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Drop, Cover, and Hold new style. A few important tips that might go against what you and I (Original post)
emmaverybo Jul 2019 OP
BigmanPigman Jul 2019 #1
emmaverybo Jul 2019 #3
Raine Jul 2019 #2
emmaverybo Jul 2019 #4

Response to emmaverybo (Original post)

Sat Jul 6, 2019, 02:44 AM

1. Since I had to be prepared in case one hit while I was teaching my

first graders I learned what to do after the big one in Japan. Apparently the new plan is to crouch NEXT to a desk, not under it. It makes sense if you visualize it. If the ceiling were to come down it would crash on the table and break leaving a little "A" shape space next to the desk/table (a 45į angle really). The desk top could come down on you with the weight of the ceiling/roof. Fortunately I never had to test this theory.

MY plan is to go and get in my car and move it and keep it out in the open, not near buildings and power lines since I might end up living in it if my home building isn't safe. If roads are damaged aren't repaired immediately I could be living in it a for few days. I have plans up the wazoo.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #1)

Sat Jul 6, 2019, 03:29 AM

3. I always have wondered if the desk could prove unsafe. Thanks for sharing. NT

Reply to this post

Response to emmaverybo (Original post)

Sat Jul 6, 2019, 03:06 AM

2. THANKS for the info and link. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Raine (Reply #2)

Sat Jul 6, 2019, 03:30 AM

4. You are very welcome. I like your signature. NT

Reply to this post