HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » War, not war

Sat Jun 22, 2019, 06:32 PM

War, not war

By Liberal Librarian

Reports this morning confirm that Donald Trump gave the order to bomb the shit out of Iran, only to rescind the order soon after. John “boys go to Baghdad, real men go to Tehran” Bolton, national insecurity advisor, got cockblocked in his blood lust by Vladimir Putin.

snip

Of course, I’m not arguing that Trump is a wimp for backing down against Iran. This is a mess of his own making. Had he not pulled out of the nuclear deal, the Persian Gulf would be a much quieter place.

For two years he’s kowtowed to the likes of Sheldon Adelson, Bibi Netanyahu, and Mohamed bin Salman. (What a group of odd bedfellows.) From the status of Jerusalem to saber-rattling against Iran, he’s been nothing but a patsy for the fevered dreams of revanchist Israelis and the Saudi-UAE nexus which wants to dominate the Gulf. But just as he was—literally—about to pull the trigger and sink the US into an even worse quagmire, he hesitated. It beggars belief that he didn’t get a call on his unsecured iPhone from Putin telling him to cool his heels.

The US, right now, doesn’t have a foreign policy. It barely has a functioning government. The executive is rudderless, listing in the water, at the mercy of whatever winds arise, rather than setting the agenda. The only two things which animate Trump are jailing refugees and his farcical July 4th blowout. American leadership has receded all over the globe, with other actors filling the void. When in 2016 some cavalierly said “How bad could it be?”, this is what we envisioned. A lazy slob of a man in charge of the world’s only empire frittering away power accumulated over a century. No wonder the likes of Glenn Greenwald and Michael Tracey love Trump; they see American power and its exercise as inherently immoral; its diminution is all to the good.

More: https://www.thepeoplesview.net/main/2019/6/21/friday-open-threadwar-not-war

I remember, after the 'placement' of trump in the highest office in our land, hearing people say, it won't be so bad and we can get through this. No. You were wrong it could take us a decade/decades to try to correct what his havoc has wreaked on us. We have lost our standing on the world stage, we have lost power and the confidence of our allies and citizens alike.

The dead bodies will continue to pile up, young, old pregnant, immigrants, all people of color.

Here is one stat.

Does the US have the highest maternal death rate?
The US has the "highest rate of maternal mortality in the industrialized world." In the United States, the maternal death rate averaged 9.1 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births during the years 1979–1986, but then rose rapidly to 14 per 100,000 in 2000 and 17.8 per 100,000 in 2009.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maternal_death

They are taking our healthcare, our environmental protections...water, air and the welfare of all their citizens. They are going to start another war to enrich themselves.

I blame the "anyone but Hillary" crowd. I blame those that sat out the election and either voted Trump, Stein or wrote in someones name. Why?

Get the hell off your ass and vote 2020.

One more thing before I go. Two newly elected Democratic Governors. WI, RI.

WI vetoed 4 GOP abortion laws

Wisconsin's Democratic governor vetoes 4 abortion bills
MADISON, Wis. — Wisconsin's Democratic Gov. Tony Evers on Friday vetoed four abortion bills passed by the Republican-controlled Legislature, following through with his promise to stop the measures from becoming law.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/108424046

and RI

Governor signs abortion rights bill into law following House, Senate approval

https://www.democraticunderground.com/1075481

Do not tell me your vote does not count.

VOTE

1 replies, 294 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply War, not war (Original post)
sheshe2 Jun 22 OP
lapfog_1 Jun 22 #1

Response to sheshe2 (Original post)

Sat Jun 22, 2019, 06:49 PM

1. unless we can impeach and remove them

it will take 30 to 40 years to replace the federalist society picked judges.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread