HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Trump administration sign...

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 07:51 AM

Trump administration signals support for uranium mining that could touch Grand Canyon

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/448069-trump-signals-support-for-uranium-mining-near-grand-canyon

Trump administration signals support for uranium mining that could touch Grand Canyon
© Getty Images
The Trump administration is signaling a renewed push to consider uranium near the Grand Canyon, a move that would undoubtedly ignite a political fight involving environmentalists and the mining industry.

President Trump’s decision to declare uranium a critical mineral for national security purposes, coupled with a Commerce Department recommendation to mine reserves of a key component to nuclear weapons, has environmentalists worried that the reversal of an Obama-era ban on mining near the cherished national park is imminent.

“It’s not a secret that uranium mining companies have pined after the Grand Canyon for a long time,” said Amber Reimondo, energy program director at Grand Canyon Trust. “The last time there was a uranium price spike in 2007, over 10,000 mining claims were filed.”

Critics question the timing of the potential reversal: The Grand Canyon is nearing its peak visitation period in the summer months, and the price of uranium is at its lowest level in more than a decade. They also argue that the recent developments underscore the close relationship between the uranium mining industry and the administration.

</snip>

5 replies, 286 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump administration signals support for uranium mining that could touch Grand Canyon (Original post)
Dennis Donovan Jun 12 OP
Iliyah Jun 12 #1
edhopper Jun 12 #2
ROB-ROX Jun 12 #3
Poiuyt Jun 12 #4
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Jun 12 #5

Response to Dennis Donovan (Original post)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 08:01 AM

1. What's with RWers and the

destruction of mother nature? Brazil also comes to mind. They are destroying the rain forests. . .

God's beautiful natural resources and RWers only see the monetary aspect of it.

Sad.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Iliyah (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 08:05 AM

2. Greed

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 03:59 PM

3. The USA purchased Uranium After USSR collapsed which could make 20,000 bombs

The USA did not want terrorist getting excess stock piled Uranium. I do not think the USA will require Uranium for hundreds of years? Who or what is driving the mining of something not required? I think the issue of Uranium mining is DEAD.......

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 04:50 PM

4. I think Trump should put up a big Trump hotel overlooking the Grand Canyon!

and convert the Statue of Liberty into Trump-branded condos.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 05:53 PM

5. Fucking asshole

It's all about money to him. He'll e dead soon so what does he care?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread