HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Fucking hell. What is the...

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 08:41 PM

Fucking hell. What is the definition of an expiration date?

My wife was just refused to board her flight to the Netherlands to join me because her passport expiration date was too close. It doesn't expire until September, and the trip is for today until July 10th but apparently that's too close for someone!

We've already spent over $500 rescheduling the flight, making travel arrangements, etc. Why did nobody at any point in the proceedings when we booked this thing several months ago point this out?

What the hell is the definition of an expiration date if the real expiration date is hidden and before that? Just change the date to that point then!

This is so fucked up. I want to sue someone just to get the money back.Never mind the inconvenience. We've been travelling internationally for decades. How the Hell did this never come up before?

I'm so angry I could just spit fire.

67 replies, 2860 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 67 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fucking hell. What is the definition of an expiration date? (Original post)
Ron Obvious Jun 11 OP
malaise Jun 11 #1
Ron Obvious Wednesday #36
malaise Wednesday #40
obamanut2012 Wednesday #52
Celerity Wednesday #57
madaboutharry Jun 11 #2
Ron Obvious Jun 11 #11
PoliticAverse Jun 11 #3
Ron Obvious Jun 11 #9
hlthe2b Jun 11 #4
StarfishSaver Jun 11 #8
PufPuf23 Jun 11 #14
Ron Obvious Jun 11 #15
former9thward Jun 11 #22
StarfishSaver Jun 11 #24
Doremus Jun 11 #26
former9thward Wednesday #50
Ron Obvious Jun 11 #27
malaise Wednesday #41
obamanut2012 Wednesday #58
Pachamama Jun 11 #5
Yonnie3 Jun 11 #6
RainCaster Jun 11 #7
jberryhill Jun 11 #10
Lulu KC Jun 11 #12
Trailrider1951 Jun 11 #13
GulfCoast66 Jun 11 #16
Ron Obvious Jun 11 #17
GulfCoast66 Jun 11 #18
Ron Obvious Jun 11 #20
GulfCoast66 Jun 11 #21
qazplm135 Jun 11 #32
Ron Obvious Wednesday #37
StarfishSaver Wednesday #66
Ron Obvious Wednesday #39
qazplm135 Wednesday #60
HipChick Wednesday #45
Ron Obvious Jun 11 #19
StarfishSaver Jun 11 #25
ecstatic Jun 11 #23
Ron Obvious Jun 11 #28
pangaia Jun 11 #30
Ron Obvious Jun 11 #35
pangaia Wednesday #38
Hekate Jun 11 #29
qazplm135 Jun 11 #33
Tipperary Wednesday #46
qazplm135 Jun 11 #31
Karadeniz Jun 11 #34
a la izquierda Wednesday #42
Ron Obvious Wednesday #44
Vinca Wednesday #43
OnDoutside Wednesday #47
Takket Wednesday #48
Ron Obvious Wednesday #49
StarfishSaver Wednesday #55
Post removed Wednesday #59
obamanut2012 Wednesday #51
Ron Obvious Wednesday #53
qazplm135 Wednesday #61
Ron Obvious Wednesday #62
qazplm135 Wednesday #63
rickford66 Wednesday #54
ananda Wednesday #56
Blecht Wednesday #64
hunter Wednesday #65
Lucid Dreamer Wednesday #67

Response to Ron Obvious (Original post)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 08:46 PM

1. It's the same with the US visa

You aren't allowed to travel to the US if the visa is going to expire in six months.
The argument is that you are allowed to stay six months (we never stay a full week) so the visa must not expire.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to malaise (Reply #1)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 12:28 AM

36. But we already have a return ticket

Had her passport expired on the trip I could've understood, but it doesn't expire for several months after she's back.

Reply to this post

Response to Ron Obvious (Reply #36)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 05:32 AM

40. I agree with you

Last summer my friend's daughter was turned back at the airport - she also had a return ticket.
Her visa was going to expire in October - she was only going to be in New York for four weeks (July to August) with her aunt. She's been going every summer for at least a decade. It cost her folks a bag of money.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 07:33 AM

52. So? Just because you have a ticket doesn't mean you would leave then

This is literally nothing weird.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 08:20 AM

57. Schengen

90 day expiry rule.

Surprised you did not know this.

So sorry you are have to deal with this.

Reply to this post

2. On the U.S. State Department website under FAQs

there is a warning that many countries require at least 6 months left on a passport for entry.

I am sorry that no one alerted you to this information.

Reply to this post

Response to madaboutharry (Reply #2)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 08:58 PM

11. It wasn't that long ago that a passport could be expired for up to 6 months without problems.

Again, somewhere along the way we should have been notified.

Reply to this post

3. Apparently they require 3 months...

The Schengen Agreement includes 26 European countries that require a passport be valid for at least three months beyond the intended date of departure. These countries are Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

From: https://traveltips.usatoday.com/countries-require-six-months-passport-validity-100788.html

Reply to this post

Response to PoliticAverse (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 08:55 PM

9. Yeah, well I know that NOW.

But we supplied the passport number and expiration date when we booked her flight months ago and this NEVER came up.

It takes a lot of work to even book flights online. If we still would've had travel agents this would have been dealt with.

I often think the modern conveniences of the computer have only made us work more.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 08:47 PM

4. I am old enough to remember a time you could call on your congressional rep to help with this kind

of thing. In the era of Trump, I'm not so sure, but I guess it couldn't help to inquire.

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #4)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 08:52 PM

8. Reps still help with this - your Rep can help her expedite a passport renewal

Last edited Wed Jun 12, 2019, 08:55 AM - Edit history (1)

They can't do anything to help when you're at the gate trying to get on the plane since the rules are the rules and they can't get you around them. But they can help her with the passport process.

Call your Senator or Rep if you need help getting a renewed passport quickly.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 09:12 PM

14. Some ways the USA used to be more user-friendly

The first time I was in DC (and haven't been to DC since 1990s) was in 1972. I was a 19 year old white male hippie kid from northern California traveling around the country with a backpack and small suitcase, mostly by Greyhound, staying in youth hostels and YMCAs. Spent 10 days or so in DC at a youth hostel. Went on a Congressional tour where found out I had to have a floor pass to actually enter the chamber to watch the House in session.

Asked tour guide about how to get pass. The guide said from my rep and showed me directory. Proceeded to congressional reps office to get the pass; simply walking down halls, zero security, to reps office where I asked about the pass and showed my CA DL. The aide gave me a pass and we chatted some. Then he said, "How about I buy you lunch", and we went to cafeteria where he recommended the navy bean soup.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 09:32 PM

15. Hell, why isn't there a passport office at the airport?

Sea-Tac is a big international airport and this must come up all the time.

Modern life just doesn't have the margins of error anymore that we used to have when we lived in a kinder, more humane world.

If I look at any kind of travel in old movies I could just weep. People to carry your luggage, being treated with respect. We used to be allowed to travel with 2 70 lbs suitcases and nobody would check that closely. These days you can't even talk to a human being if you're 1 pound over the allowed 50 in your only allowed checked luggage.

Reply to this post

Response to Ron Obvious (Reply #15)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 10:30 PM

22. Did you wear a suit to fly?

People used to do that. You might notice that if you watch travel in old movies. Don't complain about respect when most people get on planes dressed like slobs who are lounging on their living room couch.

Reply to this post

Response to former9thward (Reply #22)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 10:36 PM

24. Flying used to also be very expensive

We don't pay nearly what people used to pay in current dollars, but we still want all of the perks. Can't have both.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 10:47 PM

26. People wore those suits in comfortable seats with generous leg room.

They selected their meals from a menu and ate on real plates with real flatware. No extra charge, btw. Or for the use of pillows, blankets and magazines. Thirsty? Free selections from the beverage cart.

Treat people like cattle and you have to expect cow flops.

Reply to this post

Response to Doremus (Reply #26)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 07:27 AM

50. Yes, there was an "extra charge".

As the poster above you points out flying used to be far, far more expensive than it is now. People now want to fly for practically free so they are getting what they pay for.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 10:56 PM

27. First of all, I wasn't the one flying

And I don't ever fly dressed like a slob. However, we are now expected to take off belts and shoes when trying to board so I can't blame the ones with more casual clothes.

Reply to this post

Response to Ron Obvious (Reply #15)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 05:36 AM

41. Remember now the airlines don't give a damn

They're in this for money. If you had booked with a travel agent they would have told you.
I don't travel as much any more - it's not worth it.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 08:23 AM

58. I had my Senator get me a passport renewal in literally 90 minutes

I had to drive four hours to DC, but was processed at a special office, had an early lunch and an espresso, and it was ready for me at the guard entrance in less than two hours.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 08:48 PM

5. Unfortunately, the airlines have this spelled out when you read the fine print

I travel a lot so I am well aware of this and I am sorry you didn't see this anywhere previously or overlooked it.

I know you are angry, but the reality is that even if you want to sue, they will be able to demonstrate its in many places listed.

This 6 month rule has been in place for at least the last five years, maybe longer. I think its an EU law?

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 08:49 PM

6. Apparently it's a thing

https://www.fastportpassport.com/blog/six-months-validity-rule/

"...What is the six months validity passport rule?

It is not a requirement of the U.S. government. The six-month validity passport rule is a requirement of other countries accepting foreign travelers. The six- month passport validity rule is enforced because nations do not want to risk having travelers and tourists overstaying their passport validity. ..."

I traveled internationally for work a great deal in the mid 80s through 2000 and never heard of this rule.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 08:50 PM

7. The problem is with your spouse

Not the various government agencies involved. They are on with her coming across birders for a short time.
I went to Asia in December when my passport expired in January. Nobody cared. I had more trips to Europe and Asia in January, and at that point the State Department thought I should have a renewed passport. I did it on an expedite process and all was good.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 08:56 PM

10. I'm sorry this happened to you

But thanks for posting it so that others can know it is generally not a good idea to travel internationally within six months of your passport expiration date.

Thatís true for a lot of places.

Also, if you lose your passport abroad and are issued a temporary one by a US consulate, it can be tough to cross other borders with that temporary passport, since it is only valid for six months.

I was detained upon entering Canada since I had a meeting there after returning from a European trip where I had obtained a temporary passport from the US consulate in Munich.

So, yes, I learned about this by cooling my heels in a small room in the Vancouver airport for longer than I would have liked.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 09:02 PM

12. How annoying!

This is why there used to be travel agents. Who can find and then remember all these details? So sorry for your frustrating experience.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 09:10 PM

13. Thank you so much for posting this! I had no idea

My passport is due to expire next February, so if I want to take a trip in a couple of months, I guess I need to renew it now.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 09:39 PM

16. Sorry this happened to you. But it is not new or a Trump thing.

I dealt with it for a fact in 2017. Still had several months but read where I needed a new one.

Seems like it might have happened in 2007, but memory fails and not willing to dig out my old passport.

But I agree. 10 years should be 10 years. If not, make the new one 9.5!

I do remember reading it and feeling like I had dodged a bullet. Anytime I hear someone is planning to go overseas I tell them about it.

Reply to this post

Response to GulfCoast66 (Reply #16)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 09:43 PM

17. I know

But why did the delta website not flag this when we booked the trip months ago and gave her passport number and expiration date?

When we tried to check in online 24hrs before departure, we again supplied her passport number and expiration date and just got an "Unknown error". Why did we not get flagged about it then as well?

I blame Delta for this and their online booking.

Reply to this post

Response to Ron Obvious (Reply #17)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 09:50 PM

18. Huh? Great question. I have global entry and enter my passport in when I book.

Which, thinking about is required even without global entry.

Do they ask the expiration date? I fly oversees at least once a year and canít remember if they ask. Perhaps for privacy reasons they can only pass the info to the TSA. Although I think they may have my passport info. Iíll check. I try to only fly Delta. Especially now since they own no 737max planes!

I do know itís in the fine print on line, but for some that important you think it would be really called out.

Sucks all the way around for you.

Reply to this post

Response to GulfCoast66 (Reply #18)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 09:52 PM

20. Yeah, they asked for an expiration date as well as passport number

We can't be the only people for this to happen to.

Reply to this post

Response to Ron Obvious (Reply #20)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 10:18 PM

21. Now I'm curious. What caused this?

Perhaps it was enough other countries not allowing people in with a close to expired passport? Cause technically you donít need a passport to leave the country. Yeah, the airlines might require it. But they donít stamp it at customs when you leave.

You need it to enter. I canít see the US denying a citizen with an active passport back in the country. And keep in mind, this predates trump who I Could see doing that! Now I have to do some research.

Iím sincerely sorry this happened to you. And I agree it canít be uncommon.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 11:25 PM

32. seriously?

There are over 200 countries with varying rules on passports. You really expect Delta to have a system that knows which country someone is traveling to, then cross reference whatever the current passport rules of that country are, track the dates of your travel, and calculate if you will be rejected, and then use that to send you a warning that you might not be allowed to enter?

That's asking way, way too much. And to boot you did get an error when you tried to check in online, so you got some notice?

It sucks, but it's not the airlines fault. Now you know. It won't happen again to you.

Furthermore, Delta has this warning on your website:
In general, your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the period of intended stay in a foreign country.
And they provide you a link for more information.

Face it man, you didn't do your due diligence.

Reply to this post

Response to qazplm135 (Reply #32)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 12:34 AM

37. Certainly I expect their booking software to do this

It would be an easy matter for their computer software to do this.

I just checked my email flight reservation and it isn't mentioned there either that I can see. I'm sure one of the links somewhere goes to small print that has this text in it, but we take this flight twice a year and it's never been an issue. Nor did it occur to either of that it might be an issue.

Reply to this post

Response to Ron Obvious (Reply #37)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 01:02 PM

66. It comes up on the website when you book your ticket

The page has link for you to read the international travel document requirements. https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in-security/required-travel-documents/travel-from-the-us

There are too many of them to flag each requirement individually for each individual passenger's personal situation and destination, but they do make all of the information you need available to you before you purchase your ticket.

Reply to this post

Response to qazplm135 (Reply #32)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 01:32 AM

39. Also: they apparently already HAVE such a system

There are over 200 countries with varying rules on passports. You really expect Delta to have a system that knows which country someone is traveling to, then cross reference whatever the current passport rules of that country are, track the dates of your travel, and calculate if you will be rejected, and then use that to send you a warning that you might not be allowed to enter?

Since their boarding computer flagged up her passport when she used the kiosk upon checking in, it would appear all the necessary software is already in place in the delta computer system.

Reply to this post

Response to Ron Obvious (Reply #39)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 09:30 AM

60. no it appears

that they MAY have a system that flags passports that are within a certain number of days of expiration.

You take ZERO responsibility for what happened. You take ZERO responsibility for knowing the passport rules of the country being traveled to.

Sorry, that's just wrong.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 07:09 AM

45. It's not Delta...I've gotten flagged

or got the famous SSSS code...
Just scan in your passport at a Delta kiosk, and it will on file
Ultimately only you are responsible for your own travel
I understand your frustration though...

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 09:50 PM

19. I posted this partly to rant and partly to warn others

But the more I think about it, the angrier I am with Delta. We booked this flight online and supplied passport number and expiration date. We should have been flagged then.

I don't know how we're going to deal with this yet, but Delta has already charged us $300 to rebook the flight. This is really outrageous.

Reply to this post

Response to Ron Obvious (Reply #19)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 10:45 PM

25. I understand and empathize with your frustration

But it's really not the airline's responsibility to make sure passengers have the correct travel documentation. It's on the passenger to confirm travel requirements and make sure they have the right documentation. The airlines enter the information into passenger records as a courtesy, because it saves time and for homeland security purposes.

That said, Delta does have this information on its website and my recollection is that, when purchasing a ticket, passengers are urged to click on the international travel information link that takes you to a page that reads: "When youíre traveling outside of the United States, make sure you have all required travel documents. A passport is required for all international travel. Remember, the name on your boarding pass must match the name on your government-issued passport. In general, your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the period of intended stay in a foreign country. Also, be sure to check to see if a visa is needed to visit your destination country." https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in-security/required-travel-documents/travel-from-the-us

I got burned once in a similar situation and since then always check everything myself since I learned the hard way that the only actually obligation the airlines have is to provide transportation and everything they do above and beyond that is a courtesy.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 10:33 PM

23. That sucks! Thanks for giving us a heads up

on the crap that's being pulled. I'm kind of thinking you got played--You should have escalated all the way to the airport general manager.

Updated to rescind the last part of my post. Sorry that happened to you!

Reply to this post

Response to ecstatic (Reply #23)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 11:00 PM

28. Well, I wasn't there.

I'm already at the destination since I left weeks ago. My wife had to put up with this alone. What makes this even more frustrating is that she requires a cane to get around and will now have to make it to the federal building in downtown Seattle on her own to take care of this, as well as it make it back to the airport when she already has impaired mobility and difficulties getting around with a suitcase.

Sorry, just whining now.

Reply to this post

Response to ecstatic (Reply #23)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 11:21 PM

30. Nothing was 'being pulled' on Ron Obvious.

The information IS on the DELTA website. It is also on the UNITED website, AIR FRANCE, LUFTHANSA....

Reply to this post

Response to pangaia (Reply #30)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 11:45 PM

35. I'm sure there was small print

But in these days of having to book online everything ourselves anyway, why couldn't their booking software have flagged up this concern when we booked the flight several months ago? They HAVE the expiration date already and it would have been a simple software matter to report the concern.

Reply to this post

Response to Ron Obvious (Reply #35)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 01:05 AM

38. Air Canada lost my bag once in 2015 on a flight from Rochester/Toronto/Vancouver/Osaka...

I got it in my hotel in Kyoto a couple days later
I argued for a while with Air Canada - they said it was my fault,.--I believed it was their fault. Long story.

I got over it and enjoyed Kyoto.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 11:18 PM

29. I know a woman who missed saying goodbye to her dying dad in Holland because of that...

The runaround cost her at least $1,000 -- not to mention the precious few days she could have had with him.

Blame it on "Homeland" Security. It is nuts.

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #29)

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 11:27 PM

33. no blame it on the actual country you are traveling to

these are not US rules.

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #29)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 07:15 AM

46. Nothing to do with Homeland Security.

Nothing.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 11:21 PM

31. some countries have 90-day limits

on passport expiration date.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 11, 2019, 11:43 PM

34. Who would have thought to investigate? Thanks for the warning post!

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 06:46 AM

42. As others have said, this is clearly stated...

In many places. Sucks, but itís a very common rule.

Reply to this post

Response to a la izquierda (Reply #42)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 07:06 AM

44. It may be, but it's not on our itinerary email

I just reread the whole thing very carefully, and there isn't any mention of it. No doubt if you click on on a blue link, we would have found this small print somewhere among the general rules.

I still don't think that this is reasonable. Delta's online booking software should have thrown up the problem since we supplied it with passport number and expiration date, and clearly their check-in kiosk at the airport knew to throw up a flag to prevent her from boarding so they already have the rules codified.

We're hardly neophytes at this: we've been flying to the EU for 40 years and this has never come up before.

I'm probably going on about this too long, but there's a whole lot of dependencies based on her getting here on time (I've been here for two weeks already) and making changes is both expensive and time-consuming. We're out a minimum of $1,000 in addition to all the stress and hassles of this.

I just hope she can get her passport done quickly enough on the emergency basis tomorrow so she can still make the next flight. We need her here.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 06:56 AM

43. I've never been aware of this. Note to self: check date on passports.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 07:16 AM

47. Spain has a SIX month limit. It's nuts.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 07:18 AM

48. That is silly

Not sure how the six month rule makes countries safer.

But regardless it would be one line of code for Deltaís reservation system to compare the exp date you put in with the known rules for your destination and spit out a warning for you to check.

Reply to this post

Response to Takket (Reply #48)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 07:27 AM

49. Exactly!

The rule is pointless enough, but this should have been flagged by Delta. Again, when we used to travel to and from the EU, your passport could be expired by up to six months before there were any issues. This makes NO sense.

Reply to this post

Response to Takket (Reply #48)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 08:14 AM

55. It's more than "one small line of code" to compare each purchaser's expiration date with

the destination country's rules.

But the airline DOES offer purchasers lots of information about international travel, including a warning to check their passport's expiration date, when they buy their ticket. It's not the airline's fault that someone doesn't click on the link to read the information they provide.

Reply to this post

Response to StarfishSaver (Reply #55)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 07:33 AM

51. Most countries are +six months -- what happened is typical

Some countries are even more.

They don't want you coming over, staying, and having your passport expire, etc.

Not "fucked up" at all, not unusual, and most countries (including the US) do this. I was eight months out went I went to Costa Rica, and was told it would be okay, but renewed anyway.

Reply to this post

Response to obamanut2012 (Reply #51)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 07:41 AM

53. Of course, it's fucked up.

What's to prevent me from staying eight months then or a year? Duh!

Reply to this post

Response to Ron Obvious (Reply #53)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 09:32 AM

61. what's to prevent you from any crime

ultimately?

You are being unreasonable because you are mad she couldn't come over.

Reply to this post

Response to qazplm135 (Reply #61)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 11:01 AM

62. How the hell am I unreasonable for assuming a valid, unexpired passport was good?

I don't think my expectations of Delta are out of the ordinary here and I've been doing this for decades as well.

Reply to this post

Response to Ron Obvious (Reply #62)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 12:33 PM

63. well, probably because

you knew that it was expiring soon, and thus maybe this might be something you should check up on?
A whole lot of people seem to find a way to accomplish this.
There isn't a rash of tens of thousands of people missing flights to foreign countries that I'm aware of.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 07:48 AM

54. In 1997 my wife's Green Card had expired and we were detained in LA on return from NZ.

The Immigration people were OK with it and told her to get it renewed. At the same time they noted that my son's passport wasn't signed. I said he is 4 years old. I was told to sign for him. Live and learn I guess.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 08:20 AM

56. Wow. Now I'm so glad I got my passport renewed early.

I just did it because I thought MF45's government would be slow
due to funding cuts.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 12:51 PM

64. I learned about this back in the fall of 2014

South Korea has the 6-month policy, and about a week before I was to get on a plane with my family, I happened to stumble across it. I double checked our expiration dates, and sure enough, my daughter's passport was going to expire in 4 months. I had to drive three hours one-way to get to the nearest place I could do a rush renewal -- it was a total pain in the ass, but not as bad as what you had to deal with.

It had never even crossed my mind that it would be an issue, because all the expiration dates for me and my family were the following year or beyond, months after we were going to be returning from South Korea. Live and learn.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 01:01 PM

65. Why do passports even have an "expiration date?"

Reply to this post

Response to hunter (Reply #65)

Wed Jun 12, 2019, 04:18 PM

67. $$$$$$$$$ n/t

Reply to this post