HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » TN District Attorney: Gay...

Tue Jun 4, 2019, 12:41 PM

TN District Attorney: Gay People Not Protected by Domestic Violence Laws Because Marriages...

TN District Attorney: Gay People Not Protected by Domestic Violence Laws Because Marriages Aren’t Recognized by God

By DAVID BADASHJUNE 4, 20199:29 AM

A District Attorney in Tennessee is under fire for claiming gay people in his county do not have the same rights as straight people. Coffee County District Attorney Craig Northcott believes God does not recognize marriages of same-sex couples so gay victims of domestic violence are not granted the same protections in his county. Northcott says he prosecutes those crimes merely as basic assault cases.
"Well the reason where I came down in my evaluation was the reason that there's extra punishment on domestic violence is to recognize and protect the sanctity of marriage," Northcott told attendees at the Chafer Theological Seminary Pastor’s Conference. "And I said, 'There's no marriage to protect.' So I don't prosecute them as domestics," meaning, domestic violence cases.

The video, from March of 2018, depicts Northcott giving a speech and answering questions on “The Local Church’s Role in Government.” It was first unearthed and reported by TN Holler, which also published the video.

Domestic violence laws can vary, but none require the victim and the perpetrator to be married, so Northcott's legal analysis is invalid. It is also invalid because, despite saying in his speech District Attorneys are granted 'unfettered' latitude on what cases to prosecute – or if to prosecute at all, they are not granted the right to misinterpret or ignore the law, something he accuses the U.S. Supreme Court of doing.

more
https://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/2019/06/tn-district-attorney-gay-people-not-protected-by-domestic-violence-laws-because-marriages-arent-recognized-by-god/

7 replies, 554 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Tue Jun 4, 2019, 12:48 PM

1. Here's a link to the opinion in Obergefell v. Hodges, so you can see for yourself what it says.

I don't mean you, DonViejo, but anyone who wants to find all these magic quotes that Northcott comes up with.

Obergefell v. Hodges

Opinion of the Court

On the morning of June 26, 2015 outside the Supreme Court, the crowd celebrates the Court's decision.

On June 26, 2015, the U.S. Supreme Court held in a 5–4 decision that the Fourteenth Amendment requires all states to grant same-sex marriages and recognize same-sex marriages granted in other states. The Court overruled its prior decision in Baker v. Nelson, which the Sixth Circuit had invoked as precedent.

The Obergefell v. Hodges decision came on the second anniversary of the United States v. Windsor ruling that struck down Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which denied federal recognition to same-sex marriages, as being unconstitutional. It also came on the twelfth anniversary of Lawrence v. Texas, which struck down sodomy laws in 13 states. The Obergefell decision was issued on the second-to-last decision day of the Court's term; and, as late as 9:59 a.m. in the morning of the decision, same sex couples were unable to marry in many states.

The justices' opinions in Obergefell are consistent with their opinions in Windsor which rejected DOMA's recognition of only opposite-sex marriages for certain purposes under federal law. In both cases, Justice Kennedy authored the majority opinions and was considered the "swing vote".

Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Scalia, Thomas, and Alito each wrote a separate dissenting opinion. The Chief Justice read part of his dissenting opinion from the bench, his first time doing so since joining the Court in 2005.

External links

U.S. Supreme Court opinion in Obergefell v. Hodges (June 26, 2015)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jun 4, 2019, 12:57 PM

2. His "reasoning" relies on the existence of an imaginary statute that defies the 1A.

The Establishment Clause is pretty clear here and the guy should be disbarred and removed from office.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 4, 2019, 01:31 PM

3. I wish he had a bible crammed so far up his ass that he could never shit again.

Hateful evil fucks.

Unless someone is forcing you into a gay marriage just shut the fuck up.

Gay marriage does not affect you in any way.

Keep your damn religion and religious opinions to yourself.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 4, 2019, 01:39 PM

4. Well it isn't any surprise we have an ignorant Republican DA.

I didn't know that the 14th Amendment to the Constitution was not part of the Constitution. Go figure. The worst thing is that he likely knows that what he is saying is bullshit but he has a bunch of ignorant idiot asking stupid questions so he plays right to them. He probably holds that "god's law" is higher than man's law, but then if he thinks that way he should not work for the government.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 4, 2019, 01:52 PM

5. Who cares what marriages are recognized by gawd. What counts is the

SCOTUS recognized same sex marriages and granted equal rights within in them.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 4, 2019, 06:00 PM

6. "No state shall .. deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws"

Northcott sounds like yet another Republican enemy of the fourteenth amendment

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 4, 2019, 06:32 PM

7. Warped piece of petrified shit.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread