HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The New Abortion Laws Wou...

Sat May 25, 2019, 09:39 AM

The New Abortion Laws Would Grant Government the Authority to Enforce Abortions

Prohibit or enforce abortions—it’s the same authority. I wonder if the lawmakers, in their rush to pass these draconian laws, have bothered to consider that fact.

4 replies, 497 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply The New Abortion Laws Would Grant Government the Authority to Enforce Abortions (Original post)
dlk May 25 OP
Bayard May 25 #1
yewberry May 25 #4
MiniMe May 25 #2
dlk May 25 #3

Response to dlk (Original post)

Sat May 25, 2019, 10:22 AM

1. Please explain

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Bayard (Reply #1)

Sat May 25, 2019, 06:43 PM

4. Not sure if this is what the OP means exactly

but if the issue is Roe v Wade, I think I know where this is coming from. The new laws are all meant to create a Supreme Court challenge to Roe.

The way the decision has worked is that it has disallowed a variety of restrictions against abortion. However, that's not really what the decision says. The Roe v Wade ruling essentially said that the Due Process clause of the 14th Amendment guarantees a fundamental right to privacy that protects a pregnant person's liberty to decide whether or not to have an abortion.

If Roe is reversed, the liberty to make that decision is no longer valid. So, who has the authority to decide whether someone can choose to abort or carry to term? The state. Theoretically, then, the state would then have the right to deny an abortion and it would also have the right to require an abortion. It's the same authority.

Reply to this post

Sat May 25, 2019, 11:46 AM

2. State or Federal authority?

Since the law only applies to the specific state, I would think you are referring to State Government?

Reply to this post

Sat May 25, 2019, 05:33 PM

3. The legislative authority to regulate abortions, whether at the state or federal level is the same..

If the government has that specific authority it can go either way, prohibit or enforce, or anything in between. It’s the same authority.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread